It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: So Fortunate!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am brand new to Suboxone treatment and this whole process. I live in a small town in North Carolina, sandwiched between larger towns and cities. I am also familiar not only with opiod dependency but addiction. I was an addicict with other type abuses before I developed a staph infection in my spine and got to experience what sever physical pain was all about. After being hospitalized for months and being on high doses of pain relieving narcotics for the better part of a year, I developed an opiod dependency. Sad to say when the narcotics were taken away because I was "better", the withdrawl was more than I could take so I turned to the illegal side, using street drugs to no avail. My experience with other doctors, being honest about past addiction issues, I got to experience first hand a whole type of discrimination that left me feeling like I wasn't even human. Being afraid to go the suboxone route, I went out on a limb of faith, I must say for me this is the best decision I could have made. Simply because the illegal side of this eventualy would have left me for dead or locked up. I researched suboxone via the internet, found a doctor, saved the money, made an appointment and so on. From the beginning, which has only been two and a half weeks now, my experience has been nothing but positive. My doctor treats me like I am human, and seems to have his act together. After reading in some of these post about the trials some of you are and have gone thru, I am truly fortunate. As soon as I got on the medicine I started to stabalize. I reached out the same day as my doctors appointment to the Here to Help program from the suboxone manufacturer, with my doctors help now I get my medicine free for a year. All this within the first week of getting my script. I did have some issues with some of these local small town pharmacies. One group acted like they just did not want to deal with stocking and supplying the drug. Another group-the pharmacist did not even know what it was or what it was used for. Where I am now, the people are pleasant and do not seem to look down on me at all. So if you are thinking of going this route, this is just my experience and opinion, do not give up, go after this just like you are trying to hook up with that next fix from your dealer. If you put that amount of time and determination into anything in this life, you can and will accomplish your goal. Remember this is just my opinion and my experience, I am fortunate for sure!!! So good luck and God Bless to you all!!

Post subject: Re: So Fortunate!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:31 am 

Hi Dakota and welcome to the forum!

We have all felt the stigma of being labelled "addict" and it is dehumanizing! I'm glad that you decided to try suboxone even though you were scared at the time. For many people it has been a very useful tool in staying away from active abuse.

I encourage you to add other elements to your recovery efforts. Some people go to 12 step meetings, many find individual addiction therapists or other kinds of support groups. This forum is also a good place to start! Feel free to ask any questions or tell us more about yourself!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Can I please ask how u get your meds free for a year!??

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:46 am 

I'm going to venture a guess. The makers of suboxone have a program where they provide 3 people in a doctor's practice with free medication for a year. Quite a few people have been able to utilize the program, but it must be done through your subscribing physician.

Here is a link to some information about the program: https://www.rxhope.com/PAP/info/PAPList ... =programid

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I get my suboxone free thru the Here to Help program which comes thru Reckitt Benckiser pharmaceuticals, the makers of suboxone. First you have to go to the Suboxone web site(www.suboxone.com) and go to the Here to Help section. You must call the Here to Help toll free number and register. Note I did this the same day right after my doctors appointment. The folks there faxed my doctor an application, he filled it out, signed it, then mailed it to me to fill out my info and sign. I then faxed this to the Here to Help program. Within 3-5 days they will let your doctor know if you are eligible. I have been out of work, have no income other than family helping me, and I have no type of insurance, Medicare or Medicaid. Also they only allow each doctor to sign-up 3 patients per year, I guess my timing was right and God was at work-note this was earlier in January and I mentioned it on my first visit This is why I say I was Fortunate for sure. I am on 3 8mg per day-my pharmacy charges $10 a strip-thats $30 a day-other than that I would not be able to follow my program as the doctor suggest, now I can, and every day so far I seem to feel a little closer to whatever "normal" must feel like. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One more thing, I did not have to wait for the card to come in the mail to start getting my meds. The people from Here to help gave me a series of numbers and codes to write down and give my pharmacist. The pharmacist sets it up in their computer and one is good to go for meds.