It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It has now been almost 2 months since I stopped taking Suboxone, and noticed something strange. In the ENTIRE SIX YEARS I was taking suboxone I did not get a fever a single time. Didn't even have the common cold once. Now after stopping I catch strep throat within 1 month haha. Anyone else seem to be immune while on Suboxone?

This was first brought up by a co-worker of mine who I did deliveries with. He asked why I never get sick. I told him I normally get sick once a year as the weather changes, but it has not happened since I started this medication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rosettastoned,

I agree with you 100%. While on any opiate, I hardly ever got sick. If I did get sick, I couldn't hardly feel it though. I think the opiates just covered the symptoms up.

Now that I've been off sub I've got sick a few times. Strep throat got me just a few months back. It took me forever to get over it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a real interesting topic really, over the past 4 coming up on 5 years now I have only been sick a hand full of times KNOCK ON WOOD! And it is the same with friends I have talked with who are on Sub or were on Sub at one point in time. We use to actually talk about it from time to time noticing how weird this was.

But on the other hand when I did get sick it lasted a shit load longer than it did when I was not on SUB. And I was talking to my Dr about this and he has notice the same thing with his other patients that when we do get sick for some reason it takes longer for us to get better than the average person. Now do any of you guys notice this?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Now that Romeo brings it up, I dont really remember ever getting a fever while taking other opiates either. I would assume while getting high you might overlook some symptoms, but after a few years on suboxone I would be shocked if it was hiding a fever from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmmm, that's a good point about the fever Rosettastoned. Now you really got me wondering what in the heck was going on? How would opiates contribute to preventing such ailments as the common cold or the flu? There's got to be some mechanism there that we're just not aware of.

I'll bet there's already some Gov't study that's been done on this subject. Heck, our Gov't has probably funded studies regarding how many dog turds you can stuff into a 5 gallon pail, surely they have an answer for us regarding the above subject matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

clearly, suboxone is the cure for the common cold :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think we stumbled on a miracle cure here. Anyone with a weak immune system has to start taking truckloads of opiates ASAP. "Bupe In The Rear View Mirror" forum should be expecting a nobel prize in 2011.

Edit: Apparently this was brought up on another forum:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/inde ... 48596.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I NEVER was sick while on opiate either... not meth or sub. Geeze, I guess I am about to find out now. Hate to be sick in the summer though. But weighting it out (of course not sick today) I still take being sober over dealing with life, in life folks get sick. LOL< I hope I feel this way when My time comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I been off a little under two weeks ( sat will be two weeks last dose was a week ago from last friday) my immune system is going BALLISTIC.. granted I have a weak immune system to beging with ( genetic blood disorder similar to sickle cell but what italians get ) last week I had shingles this week STAPH INFECTION .................all I can do is take it one day at a time........ I hope it ends soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:26 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I too have not been sick in the three years I have been on sub (this is kind of an ironic statement considering I was sick from withdrawal almost everyday....but not from a virus or cold or anything). I think it is because whenever I felt "sick" I took more subs and that always seemed to make me feel better. I think maybe we covered up symptoms of really being sick with a cold or something by taking more subs (thinking we were in withdrawal.) Or maybe subs are a cure and we would live forever and never get sick again if we kept taking them!