It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi,
My refill is due today. My doc was supposed to have the refill ready for me to pick up. But he didn't have it ready and is on vacation until the 5th of July. I am breastfeeding. Should I stop breastfeeding while I withdraw? Will my body release toxins into my breastmilk from withdrawing?
Also, some words of encouragement and support would be great. I have a 4 year old with ADD and 4 month old. And my mom and sister (who often help me) are also gone on vacation. I don't know how much my friend can help and I have read withdraw is pretty bad. I take 6mg/day.
I may be able to get some hydrocodone or something so I don't habe horrible withdraw, but I don't know what to do about the breast feeding? Any suggestions for great formula?
Any suggestions for helping ease withdraw symptoms that can be done while caring for kids?
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:39 pm 

Hey P&L so sorry to hear this! I'd be so upset! Why didn't ur doctor call ur medication in? Isn't there someone from his office or something that can get in touch with him, nothing at all can be done until July 5th?? Gosh that is not cool. And ur already dealing with a lot with a 4 yr old and a 4 month old, I'm sorry this happened to u. That's upsetting. Did he just forget u?

First of all, I don't really think u would have to stop breastfeeding even if u were in withdrawal. But I wouldn't breastfeed if taking hydro's. I wouldn't take any opiates. I know this isn't the ideal thing to say but couldn't u find buprenorphine on the street before u even think of taking any opiates? U don't want to ruin everything by taking opiates..... even though this isn't ur fault to be sick if ur doctor just forgot to call ur medication in. I would personally just wait it out before giving in and taking opiates.... even if it's hydro.

I know it's rough tending to little ones and feeling rough on top of that would be much worse. But u have been through worse and u can do this. Do u think u can stick it out? I'm trying to think of something to help u get ur medicine. Hopefully someone else can offer up some words of advice too. I still can't wrap my head around ur doctor forgetting ur medicine. I've always feared that on days I've been waiting for my medicine to be called in knowing they're closed the next day. That's one reason I make sure I see my doctor personally on refill day, I walk out with a script instead of having it called in at the nurses convince. I know that kind of thing happens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I own't go near the breast feeding question (though I don't see why you shouldn't right off). I"m with Jenn though. There should be some way to connect with your doctor. You've got a medical emergency. I'd concentrate on getting in touch with him, or your clinic, or the doctor that's covering for him. He can't just go on vacation I don't believe without having some sort of arrangement in place for his patients.

Or perhaps I'm just naive. Either way, please don't resort to taking full opiates unless you absolutely have to.
Also as jenn says, much better to get subs off the street if you have to go that way, instead of something that's going to endanger your sobriety.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Check with your pharmacy, depending on their guidelines, as well as state regulation they may be able to extend you a 3 day supply. An ER may be able to do up to 3 days as well, again depending on where you are. You could make that stretch by cutting your dose in half, and sticking to it.
Breastfeeding will be OK. There are no toxins released during withdrawal that would be harmful. I would stop breastfeeding if you resort to full agonist.
Crappy situation to not be able to have coverage from the clinic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:55 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for the replys! I guess i didn't select the option to email me when a reply posted. I eventually decided to come look back on here cuz i couldnt believe no one would of responded yet to my post! Anyway....my sister was going to give me all of her valium (never had an addicting issue with benzos, just opiates) to help get through it. But at days end the doc office called to say there was a script for my sub written up by some other doctor i don't even know (there is only one doctor at the practice i go to) and that it was being sent to my pharmacy.it will last until the 5th when my doc is back. Would of liked to know they were doing that... they had said they would talk to the PA that was there but that only a doctor could refill the script.
Anyway... i wasn't there to get the script because i have been having trouble sticking to my 6mg dose since before baby was born. I had a very bad flare up of pain at one point and tried several times to get in to see my doctor, to see if a cortisone shot or something would help, but they couldn't get me in.
So i wnt to two urgent cares (first one didn't do injections so had to travel to another), but doctor couldnt find a site where he thougt cortisone would help so he did 6 lidocaine injections which didnt help at all. When that failed my mom and sister took over caring for my kids. I was able to recover with chiro,massage and just not doing anything for five days while relied on others. Anyway... before i called in help i was taking extra subs to deal with the pain when ibuprofen and tylenol didn't help and icing/ heat either wasn't feasible or didn't help. So i ended up a week short. Which i told him when isaw him for my pain (which was pretty much gone at that point because it was 2 weeks after i had first asked to see him) that i had been taking extra sub. He said too come back in in a week to see him. So i did. And had been back at my 6mg dose. But i wss out by the time i saw him. He said i needed to make what i had left wich was 3 2mg pills last 4 days. Then walked out. I wrote to him being him not to do that... and he conceded.he filled it early, changing it to weekly fills on Tuesdays. Which i don't mind. It does help keep this from happening. I begun taking pills for pain in the first place so it is hard for me to not take then when i am inn lots of pain. And i did so this another time after i gave birth. So i understand him changing to once a week. He said that "he wouldnt discontinue treating me at this point". So i better get my shit together. And luckily things are starting to get better. A lot of shitty stuff happened while i was pregnant and i lost my way. But i am trying to recover and get back on track. I kind of wish i was at 8mg but oh well. I just hope he doesn't cut me off.
I almost think he "forgot" to leave a refill on purpose. To sort of punish me and/or motivate me to get off suboxone. Which i am starting to really want to do. I just want to get back unto my without groove first and get a healthy and energizing eating routine back. I can't eat what i was eating before when i was really doing good and working out because my baby reacts bably to that diet each time a try. So i need to work out some kinks.and i don't work now so we can't afford to do the workout routine i had gotten into before (the only successful one for me that i have ever found). So i got stuff to figure out. I wnt to be strong in body and mind when i goo off the suboxone