It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This just happened to me last month... I've been on Suboxone for just over 5 years. I enjoy being on Suboxone, I'm stable and happy and usually take 4mgs every A.M.

Well, when my unemployment ran out 9 weeks ago I "detoxed" and it was pure hell for a good week and I had to sell my car to get money to see the DR and the RX. It was hell... 7 days of hell. For some reason I'm a WUSS with DT's and was just flopping and throwing up and couldn't even stand up... it was insanity. I lost my job, couldn't function..

I then immediateness switched down to 1mg a day... and that took awhile to get use too. But here I am.

Now, well, I have one strip left - and well I'm scared as hell.

No idea what I'm going to do. This just doesn't seem... fair LOL. Like, I'm tempted to see if the emergency room will write me an RX for two or three - (I can make that last 16 days!) - I have no more money, nothing left to sell... and I'm deathly afraid of going threw detox while I'm already living 'life on the edge'

Any advice would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i think you shouldnt waste your time in a er. i thought a sub dr had to perscribe the sub.
if you have a 8 mg strip you might could go to .5 for 6 days and then .25 for the rest. Someone here that is smarter can help you with a taper but I plan on doing something like that. I'm sorry you are freaked out....but it shouldnt be bad if you taper the rest.

PS...this is why i think sub is evil like methadone. it's way to hard to get off of if the dr drops you or you lose yourinsurance.

that's what they don't tell youi..right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is worth a try hitting an ER. They CAN prescribe you up to 3 days worth in an emergent situation without the special DEA waiver. The problem is many of them do NOT know that and even if they do know it, many are not willing to do it.

What about your Primary Care doctor? Any doctor can also prescribe sub off-label for pain.

Also, what about the Patient Assistance Program? Did you ask your sub doctor about that? Maybe he has a slot open. It's through the manufacturer and it's for uninsured patients and if accepted into the program it covers your meds for one full year. Plenty of time for you to taper off. But that may take some time to get the paperwork going.

I'm so sorry you're in this position. I hope you can find a way to make it through this. I'll be thinking of you. Hang tough.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Diluted wrote:
No idea what I'm going to do. This just doesn't seem... fair LOL. Like, I'm tempted to see if the emergency room will write me an RX for two or three - (I can make that last 16 days!) - I have no more money, nothing left to sell... and I'm deathly afraid of going threw detox while I'm already living 'life on the edge'

You've sold your car and everything to stay on Suboxone...

And they say it isn't addictive?

I went to the ER once when I couldn't get my Suboxone ... They weren't sympathetic. Not because of the whole addict thing. It was more like I was wasting their time. They had heart attacks coming in, and there I was holding up one of their doctors with a problem that in itself isn't dangerous to health ... unless I relapse, but they don't really consider that.

So I wouldn't count on the ER thing.

You said 9 weeks ago your unemployment ran out ... but you lost your job after that. Kinda don't understand that, but I'm not from the US so maybe it's some weird welfare thing.

Panic aside (and I know how shit it feels because I've been in exactly your situation) ... If you can score Suboxone off the street somehow, and get enough films to do a taper over 1-2 months, starting at 1mg and ending at 0.05mg or something ... You may only need about 4 x 8mg films or thereabouts to do a proper taper at the dose you're on now ... and you could use your time off work, with the pressure off, to achieve it ...

Or you could choose to detox, in which case try and see a GP and let them know your story, maybe get them to contact your Sub doc and see if you can be prescribed some valium, clonidine, brufen to get you through the 2 weeks.

There is a benefit of doing it that way ... you get it all over with in 2 weeks... Tapering just spreads out the process over a few weeks ... These days I think both ways are the same amount of pain, just tapering spreads it out over a longer time so that it's more bearable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you can get your sub doctor to prescribe you just 6 films, the Rx would be free if you used the $50 off card, which you can print at www.suboxone.com. I don't know if you would have to pay for the actual appointment, but if you can't afford it, do you have a credit card that you could charge it on? Or maybe if you explained your situation, he would prescribe them to you without an appt since you have already been one of their patient's getting subs, and you are only asking for 6 more to taper off.

I know, that's probably wishful thinking, but you could always give it a shot and ask. All they can do is say no. You could make those last for 2 months or more, depending on how low of a dose you taper to. If not, it seems like it would be worth it to somehow try to scrounge up $100 or whatever your doctor charges for an appt, in order to taper off more slowly. I hope you can find a way to make this work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i hope it works out for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My life is BAD, I mean REALLY FUCKING MISERABLE without my Celexa because of my PMDD. I would sell my fucking car, too, to get my Celexa. That doesn't mean it's addictive. It's a matter of our priorities in our own personal lives.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.