It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello. I'm new here and just happened to come across it while googling what to expect jumping from 8mg tabs after 5 years of use. I've had a change in insurance coverage and am currently without Coverage for a stent of time. Naturally, it came right when it's about time for my monthly fill...so I've accepted the inevitable & have come to simply face that the 1/2- 8 mg tablet I've got left is going to have to be the last of it....

And I'm scared.
I truthfully am not mentally or physically prepared for a taper let alone a jump like this but I will NEVER return to opiate use ever again, no matter what may or may not come my way. Has there been anybody, even a single person who has jumped from this amount and been successful? If so, would you mind sharing your success story with me? Struggles and all please.....

I just need to hear from someone, anyone that's faced this and came out on the other side that may have some advice or ideas.

Please help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello 5yrSubuser! Welcome to the forum!

So sorry to hear about your sudden "forced" jump, but yes, it can be done successfully. You can get through this! There are other members here who have jumped from higher doses. Here are a few I know of: Romeo-8mgs (4 years off subs), Kanzeon-6-8mgs, and Ryzard- 16mgs and kept working and joking right through it!

Personally I tapered from 12 mgs and jumped from .375mgs, (almost 70 days ago) so I don't know first hand exactly what you will be facing, but the following seem to help everyone get through the worst of the wdls:

1. Clonodine (blood pressure med that cuts severity of wdls- helps a lot if you can get it!!)
2. Hot baths and showers
3. Uplifting music
4. Exercise- even just a walk or bike ride; do what you can manage each day
5. Get outdoors each day and stay "in the light" (don't isolate in a dark room)
6. Keep Posting on this forum! You'll get support here. It was invaluable for me.

I believe that from 8mgs you should start feeling better around days 7-9ish, and from what I've read again and again (and experienced myself) the severity of symptoms is not as bad as detoxing off other types of opiates...it just takes a bit longer, so hang in there!

:D BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, sorry you're going though this. I jumped off of 16mg 18 mos. ago. I went to a detox to do it where they gave me a lot of comfort meds, and basically just fed me and took care of me so I didn't have to care for myself and my kids while going through it. I had gone off of Sub previously by tapering down to 0.5mg.

You said you were due for a refill. Is there any way you can get one last script even if you have to pay out of pocket for it? If so, you could use it to taper.

If not, all I can tell you is that it can be done and you will get through it. For me, at 16mg I had so much in my system that my WD didn't even start until the end of the first week. It's not as intense as full agonist withdrawal, but it feels like it lasts forever. You just have to remember it doesn't.

I know benzos are potentially risky for addicts, but if you can get a small script of something like Valium (and maybe have a responsible person hold it for you) it would be really helpful to take at night. It seems to be the insomnia that really gets to people.

Other than that I would do the things that Butterflying suggested. The only things I can add are:
Soak in Epsom salts
Use Imodium for the diarrhea
Anything that releases endorphins, like laughing and having sex and orgasms really helps.

I wish you the best,
Lilly

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi!

I just wanted to second what others have said. It is totally doable! I jumped from 6 mg 88 days ago after three years of use and felt very little wd's with the help of comfort meds, daily walks (and when I could stand it, runs), tons or hot baths, daily NA/AA meetings, and stuff to take my mind off things.

I can't emphasize enough how helpful the wd meds are. My doc prescribed me a Clonadine patch, Lyrica (I hear Gabapentin works too) and Valium. I gave them to a loved one to dispense to me. Using the Clonadine patch (instead of tablets) was great because I got a steady dose of medicine without having to think about it. I took one 75 mg Lyrica at night before bed and that really helped prevent RLS from waking me up right away. I also took one 5 mg Valium before bed, a small amount of melatonin, and unisom. On average I was sleeping 4-5 hours, then I'd wake up and a second Valium would help me sleep another 4-5. I couldn't believe this and was so grateful because I had had so much trouble sleeping when in full agonist wd without comfort meds. Talk to your doctor, explain the insurance situation and hopefully he/she will be able to help along these lines.

My physical wd's didn't start until about days 3-5 but none of it ever got worse than about 10% as bad as I previously felt in oxy or fent wd. The mental stuff (cravings, anxiety, depression) was tough right away tho. And for you, being forced to stop instead of ready, this will be something you'll want to be prepared for, and this is where some good support group meetings will be priceless for you.

The low energy was probably the most severe symptom I had, but that got markedly better for me at day 10. I rapidly improved over the next couple weeks and by the 30 day mark was starting to feel a lot better, almost normal. Again, those support group meetings are key at this phase too.

When I hit day 60 I looked back and realized I really was just about totally back to normal. And now almost at day 90 I still occasionally think about using subs or other opiates and sometimes have dysphoria but am building a good toolkit for how to deal with them via my recovery program. I am probably about 99.9% physically back to normal, and about 90% emotionally back to normal.

In short - for me, the comfort meds were key for the short term and the exercise, support group, and recovery program have been key for the long term.

Finally, keep posting! People here are a great group and will be your cyber-cheerleaders and will help you through every step.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'd like to add here as well. I jumped off at 6mgs and it was manageable. However, I had been wanting to stop for a while and when the time came I was ready and excited. If your not ready it doesn't matter what you jump from, you will most likely fail. You can't stop because you're forced too, but need to do it on your own time at your own pace. However, if you feel like you're ready, the people on this forum are the best to guide you and be a shoulder to lean on. I wish you the best, please keep us updated on whatever you decide.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi QA, jumping from 8 mgs probably won't be as bad as you fear, and if you take it one day at a time, you'll get thru it. I tapered down to around .2 mg/day, and I don't think my symptoms were all that much lighter than people who jumped at 2+ mg/day.

Here's a link suggesting some supplements that will help, written by a doctor with a lot of experiencing detoxing people from high methadone levels (as in 100+ ml/day). I used a lot of these supplements, and I think they helped:

http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/45/Addiction/Detox-and-Nutrition-for-Opiate-Methadone-Addicts?hp_id=55

Proper diet and -- when you're able -- exercise are huge. I couldn't do much on the first couple days after my jump, but I started swimming on day 3, and it really felt good.

Good luck, and keep posting.

-- ji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

5yrSubuser wrote:
Hello. I'm new here and just happened to come across it while googling what to expect jumping from 8mg tabs after 5 years of use. I've had a change in insurance coverage and am currently without Coverage for a stent of time. Naturally, it came right when it's about time for my monthly fill...so I've accepted the inevitable & have come to simply face that the 1/2- 8 mg tablet I've got left is going to have to be the last of it....

And I'm scared.
I truthfully am not mentally or physically prepared for a taper let alone a jump like this but I will NEVER return to opiate use ever again, no matter what may or may not come my way. Has there been anybody, even a single person who has jumped from this amount and been successful? If so, would you mind sharing your success story with me? Struggles and all please.....

I just need to hear from someone, anyone that's faced this and came out on the other side that may have some advice or ideas.

Please help.

My Friend 16mg for me and like 3 months suboxone free!!! It is not easy but u can do it!!!!!
I have kids and had to work with crazy WDs but hey trust me u can do it!!