It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

While cleaning out all my closets today, I stumbled upon an old notebook that I had written something in. I remember seeing it on the internet a couple years ago when I was trying to kick oxy and it struck a chord with me so I wrote it down. I don't know exactly who wrote it so I can't give said person credit - it was just a random thing written on a forum similar to this one - specifically about the physical effects of quitting opiates.

"First, try to relax. Secondly, focus on the feelings involved. Become aware of the body, the pains, all of it. Start with the hands and feet. Try and feel alive. Don't try to fight it. Accept it. Accept that this is what's happening right now and let it pass. Be aware of any negative thoughts and let them pass. Once you are aware of the body and mind, you can take back control over your world."

When I was first off suboxone, I'm not gonna lie, I didn't feel good. I felt weak, lazy, depressed, my back hurt, my legs burned. None of it was horrible - but it was still there and it wasn't easy to deal with. But I kept trying to think of it as though I was going through a rebirth of sorts. I knew my body was adjusting and I knew it was working extra hard to "feel good", and it was tough. But you gotta let your body go through it. THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH IT. Once you get over that hump, it's amazing to see and feel how your body heals itself. Weakness? Gone. Laziness? Way gone. Super motivated. Never sit down! Depressed. Nope, totally high on life. Back pain? Some in the evening, nothing a hot bath can't fix. Restless legs? None to speak of.

If you're dealing with withdrawals, right now, as you read this, please know that it DOES get better. And that you have to go through the discomforts to heal yourself. But it will pass!! If you're going through hell, keep on going ;-)

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

That was really amazing, thank you for posting!! Thinking of it as a rebirth is a wonderful way to look at it. I'm only having mild withdrawals right now, because I am not finished just tapering, only a month away from the finish line though. This was very helpful though, thank you!