It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to write something encouraging for those who are new to Suboxone treatment. I've been reading this website for a long time, but just now decided to start posting.

Suboxone has literally changed my life forever! I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary of being on Sub....and it's been the greatest year I've had since high school (10 years ago). A year ago I was just getting out of jail for the sixth time. I was overdosing constantly, and completely hopeless. However, an aquaintance in jail had mentioned this medicine called Suboxone and how it had allowed him to quit heroin. I told my parents about it (I had to live with them because I couldn't support myself while busy trying to get drugs). They insisted that I go to a doctor and ask for Suboxone.

At first I was afraid that, because I had been drug-free while in jail and immediately after, the Sub doctor would turn me down. Nothing could be further from the truth!! I came into his office, told him I was a pill addict, and he had no problem prescribing Sub for me. Turns out that, unbeknownst to me, I had been experiencing a phenomenon called PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome). PAWS is when you've been clean for any amount of time, but continue to have overpowering opioid cravings that cause terrible anxiety and mental suffering. Up until I took Suboxone, PAWS was the story of my life. Now? I've only gotten a handful of mild cravings in the whole year I've been on Sub. This stuff works!!!

I just want to encourage everyone considering Sub, and tell you that it's worth a shot. It sure worked for me.
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing your story, yellow. It's always good to have another success story to add to the bunch. Like you, I feel that sub gave me a brand new life. I'm glad you decided to start posting. Stick around - I think you'll like it here! Welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, Hat! I have certainly noticed how positive and supportive you are on this website, and I appreciate it. It's all about helping each other. I'm not in a 12-step program right now, but I love this slogan- "I can't, we can."
James

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You may be the first person that I've heard of who was given suboxone despite not being in withdrawal from opiates. I'm saying that's a bad thing, it' just the first time I think I've heard of it.

But hey, if it got you off that damned Merry-Go-Round, well then GOOD FOR YOU!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the kind words, yellow.

Junkie - There have been a few posts here from people who were not in w/d and wanted to start sub. I remember they were worried that their doctor's wouldn't agree, but those who posted all were induced successfully, regardless of the fact that they were past the w/d stage. I guess it just depends on their addiction and relapse history. The people I'm thinking of had long histories of continued relapse, so suboxone was appropriate for them. That's what I remember anyway.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:56 pm 
I'm pretty sure Matt2 did exactly that.....started on Suboxone without being on opiates at the time. He started it specifically because of PAWS if I'm not mistaken. (If I'm incorrect on this, I apologize Matt2...and please set the record straight)
I personally, hadn't even had a full-blown relapse when I started Sub either. I had been off opiates for 10 months.....well, completely off for several months and then using small amounts of hydrocodone only once or twice a month for a few more months, and eventually getting back into daily or every other day use again towards the last couple of weeks or so of that 10-month period. It was definitely PAWS, along with the knowledge that I would soon spiral right back into daily use requiring higher and higher doses, that led me to start Suboxone last July.

Welcome Yellow Sub! I'm so glad you crossed paths with someone who told you about Suboxone (sorry it was in jail.) Similarly, I hadn't heard of it either until I got "clean." While it wasn't because I was incarcerated that I got off the drugs, it was somewhat of a "forced" detox and recovery program I was in because of an incident with my state's Board of Nursing. Suboxone was not allowed in their program, so I eventually had to withdraw from it and begin my 'own' recovery program which was to include Suboxone. I am so glad I found out about this medication. It really has been a lifesaver for me, as it has for you! I'm sure happy for you! When you have PAWS, it is just a whole different kind of suffering, isn't it? It just seems as though it certainly will never end....the depression, sleep disturbances, and the cravings.....oh the cravings!! Aren't we fortunate to have this treatment?! Glad to have you here. Keep posting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Helllo Yellow,

Thank you for sharing your story with us!! It is so nice to here a positive story :D I look forward to learning more about you :D Keep posting you can be such a asset to many!

Post subject: Thanks for Sharing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

yellow_submarine - Awesome post, I really enjoyed your post because I also have the same gratitude for Suboxone. It's nice to hear even with you coming up on a year it's still working well for you. This gives me hope and I thank you for that, as I never want to get into the grips of opiate addiction ever again.

I'm not shocked you were able to walk into your doctor's office after being clean awhile. Being opiate addicts the numbers are against us period. We have a disease and there is medical treatment for opiate addiction today. It's nice to know there are understanding doctors out there for us opiate addicts.

Yellow-submarine you really said some power stuff in your post. You are living proof how well Suboxone works when you want to help yourself from this destructive disease.

I'm really happy you chose to start Suboxone and it sure sounds like you are in "Addiction Remission" to this addict.

Keep posting - SuperBuper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I'm really glad to have seen this post, because right now my Sister In Law, who has struggled with opiate addiction for decades is clean, but only because she just got out of a detox last week....for the 8th time. :cry:

I had suggested to her prior to this latest visit to detox that she would be a great candidate for suboxone, and she even has insurance to pay for the medication AND my doctor told me he'd treat her if she showed up at his office, but she went to detox again instead, because, according to her, "this time, it's different." :roll:

So, I mistakenly thought that she would now not be able to get on suboxone, because she wasn't taking any drugs, but maybe I can still convince her to call my doctor.....it's just a matter of time before she ends up using again. She's been in and out of detoxes since 1985 or so....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got back on it when I wasn't on anything. I was worried about the same thing when I went off of it and got through WD but then there were pain issues and PAWS etc. etc. Matt was the one who told me I could still get on it even if I wasn't on anything. I tested 100% clean of all substances on my induction day.

The only difference when you aren't on any substances and you start sub is that you have to start with a really low dose. My doctor had told me to start with 4mg twice per day. Oh no! I took 4mg and it was way too much. I couldn't make myself take 8mg per day. It took me a while to work up which I needed to in order to get rid of the peripheral neuropathy in my feet. I was shocked at how strong this stuff is going from nothing. I mean when I started before I was on three 8mg pills per day and didn't feel anything.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill