It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: for life?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Are most doctors open to putting a patient on sub's for life? I have never brought it up to my doctor but I'm at a point that I can say that I want to be on sub's for life. Cause I know that if opiates be it a bag of H or a tram was put in front of me I would be on it. I'm on sub's and been for over a year and been clean as a whistle.. The only thing that keeps me from using is that I know its just a waste of money and there will be no happiness at the end of my opiate rainbow because of the sub's. I want to stop, know I need to stop for various reasons but I know in my heart that I can't. So.. Is this idea of sub's for life something that docs consider?

Post subject: Re: for life?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:05 pm 

Hey Rudey,

Some drs see it this way. Some do not.
I have a dr who believes if it aint broke dont fix it. He has worked in addiction medicine for 25 years and feels suboxone is a god send for addicts who just cant stop.

It is my choise how loug I stay on sub, well unless I would break a rule of his.

Opiate addiction isca chronic, relapsing and deadly disease. So hopefully your dr sees it this way.
I dont know how a dr can put a time limit on treatment but some do.....razor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on methadone for 24 years. I switched to subs hoping to fully detox. I was on 10 mg of meth at the end-but it didn't HD me well but I got stuck. I now take 3 mg(1 1/2 strips) of Suboxone and have for 2 years. I feel like I might be a lifer. I do not think I would use if I wax not on it, haven't stuck a needle in my arm in 24 years, but I can't deal with withdraws. I hope I can stay on it, I don't want to have to back to a meth clinic ever again.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm surprised that you have been on subs for a year and your doctor hasn't mentioned this issue to you at all. My guess is that if they were planning on making you taper they would have already brought it up and had a plan in place for doing so. More often than not the doctors who don't believe in long-term maintenance will put a limit of one year on their patients.

Definitely bring this up at your next appointment. If they aren't on board with what you want then you don't want to be stuck with a forced taper and no chance at finding a doctor to replace the one you have.

Good luck!

Q