It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe Doc has some funny stories.

I actually never called a pain doctor for an early fill. Once when I ran out early I called my primary doctor and told him "I took too many and I ran out and I am in withdrawal". Honesty didn't work out too well.

Sometimes at the pain clinic I'd hear patients call almost constantly asking for a refill. I couldn't believe how many calls they were getting a day. The only one I really heard was that they were going on vacation, etc.

Any input?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yeah, i was always going out of town. but CVS says they have stores in every city, so when it's due, i can pick it up there.

my dog ate them all, my cat knocked them into the toilet. they were stolen from my car.

no, it never did work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Huh. I hardly ever got my pain meds from an actual doctor, so this wasn't really an issue for me. Even if I was getting a scrip, and it had a refill on it, my insurance won't let me refill early anyway. And I was too freaked out about getting flagged to ever push it.

True story though - long before I was even an opiate abuser, let alone addict, I had a hideous sinus infection that caused an equally horrible cough. My doctor gave me a bottle of hydrotuss, the most wonderful cough-syrup ever. It really helped cause I felt like death warmed over and I was taking care of my kid and my friend's two kids while she was out of town.

Anyway, I read the label: Take 1-2tsp every 4 hours. The bottle had one refill, so when I ran out, I took it to be refilled. I took it as prescribed, so imagine my shock when the pharmacy said it was too early to refill, blah blah blah...

What the label really said was take 1-2tsp 4 times per day. Whoops! It was only a day or two early, but they gave me such crap about it. They even called my doctor to report me - and the only other time I'd had any opiates prescribed to me was years before when I had a kidney stone, and that was only a couple of vicodin prescriptions. But they just naturally assumed I was trying to scam.

Well my doctor laughed and said read the bottle next time and told them it was ok to refill. There was no problem even with my insurance, because they will allow a refill when 75% of the scrip is used up. And the most I could have over-taken was about 2 doses per day, so the 10 day bottle only lasted like 8 days.

Looking back, that's probably the reason why I never tried to scam early refills or whatever. In my state (WA) the doctors are so paranoid about pain meds and if you're on medicaid it's even worse. You can't even get pain meds for what should be obvious, legitimate uses, because the laws are so strict and the doctors are so freaked out.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I always felt the same way. I never wanted to attract attention to myself. We got monthly prescriptions for almost 4 yrs. The only excuse we ever really used was my boyfriend was going on the boat to work and wouldn't be on land when it was time. It worked a few times. We always had a problem getting them to fill it on the 28th day (when the ins. would pick it up). They would always want to wait until 30 days. It used to make me so mad.