It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So many of you already know ALOT of my story,,,, so Im not going to repeat myself.

BUT I do know that dental issues is a huge problem, with LOTS of us opiate addicts.

My teeth were horrible, a year ago. Mostly broken off at the gums, and I had it down 'pat' how to NEVER let my teeth show.

saw every dentist in my county. Most of them wouldnt give me the time of day.....as soon as they asked WHY my teeth were so bad and I answered, they couldnt get me out fast enough!!
The last dentist I saw, had a completely different approach.
He even said we could do it a lil at a time, becuz of cost.

So in short, over the last 5 months, I had,,,,
my bottom molars pulled, (11)
all my top back teeth pulled (10)

and yesterday the five I had left on the top,,, my two front teeth, the two next to it, and one eye tooth
and a full denture put in upstairs,
a partial denture that 'snaps' into my five remaining teeth on the bottom.

the most PAINFUL part was the top molars, by FAR. it didnt even BEGIN hurting til the third day. I did this ALL with suboxone, motrin, tylenol, and celebrex.
you can ask your DDS, for celebrex, it REALLY helps with swelling.

It has been quite a journey. LOTS of emotions, maybe cuz Im only 30 ????

dental implants cost ROUGHLY $2300 a piece. (yes each tooth)
my upper denture was $1500, lower $1200
and my extractions, cuz they were mostly 'surgical' were about $180 each.

by leaving SOME teeth on bottom, you save yourself from your bottom jaw receting really fast. something thats important when you are my age.
and later, if need be, he said we can put posts in, so the top has something to 'anchor' to.

this is my third day with the dentures.
It is definitely going to take some getting used to.
I feel so ,,,,,, I dont know.
SAD, that all my teeth are gone.
embarassed that I cant really talk right.
Im shining on, and putting forth a huge smile, becuase of all Ive been thru to get here, but Im telling you, if you do this, you HAVE TO PREPARE yourself for what it looks like in the mirror, when you take them out.
seriously................
its a HUGE shock.
i think you lose at least 100 IQ points, for one thing. (trying to make a joke!!)
and its just plain scary. though, maybe it'll look better when my stitches are gone.

Find a dentist you trust, grow a good relationship with him/her.
My DDS, has called me twice over the weekend just to 'check ' on me.

many people say they dont even LOOK like fake teeth. I know they sure look better than the rotten mess that was there!!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I wish I had somebody my age, that I could have asked a few things, or to tell me to prepare myself for how I'll look.

I have locked myself in our bathroom every time Ive taken them out over the weekend.
I dont think my husband will even see me without them for MANY YEARS. becuase I DONT even like to see me.

good luck to ANYONE going thru this, or about to.
its worth the investment, dont get me wrong. everyone you meet, sees your smile. And I dont regret ANYTHING.

Im not trying to be negative at all, im just wanting to warn you its not all happy and joyous.

use my experience, to your benefit

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I, for one, appreciate your story because I'm 33 years old, and I'll finish up having my teeth pulled before the end of this year..so that by next year (when insurance starts over), I can get my upper/lower plates.

Only difference I don't have much left on the bottom or the top to anchor to..so I'm going to get full dentures for now, then I'm going back and have implants done (like maybe 2 on bottom, 2 on top) later once I get the worst out of the way. I still have a couple that I need to get pulled, but for me, one of the more painful extractions was my eye tooth ( I still have the other eye tooth left to pull)..and i still have the 2 front, bottom teeth left, and i've heard those on the bottom, very front, are really "in there" and take some tugging.

Thanks for sharing this.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well,,,, Day 5 is in the books.

At least now, its feeling strange, when I take the top plate OUT, rather than it being IN.

Im just shocked at how emotionally traumatizing this really has been. I guess I just thought Id be REALLY happy to have my teeth fixed, and that'd be it.

I had no idea about the effects it would have on eating, swallowing, yawning, ETC.

I AM getting better though. I cried agian last night, becuase I took everything out while I was in the shower, and I caught a glimpse of my teeth, on the side of the shower stall, and that was all it took.
However,
I felt better after I cried.

Like I said before, Im thinking of this as a process, and maybe I have to 'grieve' the loss of my teeth. I have NO IDEA!!
But Im hanging in there!!!!
and thats what counts.
I ate some 'real food' today, at lunch. Teriyaki chicken is like my favorite thing to eat (w/LOTs of veggies) so I got a bowl of that at lunch. I didnt chew it much, but Man, it tasted great.
Much better than soup.

I gotta admit, its still rough.
Ive really been keeping the entire thing to myself, becuase I spent SO MUCH MONEY to get this done, (and my grandma too) and the LAST thing Im going to do, is complain about it, you know??

thats what I can do here :lol: :lol: :lol:

I gotta stop reading ALL these horror stories on the internet too!!!
Its like I just cant help it or something!!!

Im thankful that Im getting ready to move this weekend, and thats been a wonderful distraction. I hate to admit that, without that, I might really have been having a much worse time in this 'process'

Thanks for listening :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can only imagine how difficult a transition this is for you Amber. To be through what you've been through and emerge on the other side with as great of an attitude that you have is simply stunning to me. You always surprise the hell out of me with your amazing attitude.

A boat load of people, going through what you went through, would have called it quits by now. They would have let these issues drag them into a deep depression, the likes of which they may never come out of, but you.....you're like a fucking Rock Star!! You keep soldiering on and you simply amaze me!!!

I'm pretty sure that as time goes by you'll get more and more used to the idea of having dentures. Maybe you are mourning the loss of your teeth, hell I don't know, but the important thing is that you're dealing with this shit in a healthy way!! That's recovery Bud!! You're doing it!!! You're really doing it!!! I'm real proud of ya!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Amber,

I do believe that you do have to grieve the loss of your former self. To me losing my teeth overnight might be like aging overnight. It could mean different things to different people. But you do have to grieve. That's normal and to be expected. You're doing exactly what you need to. You're talking about it and you're crying when you feel the need - both of these are ways to express how you feel. That is grieving. Just keep doing what you're doing. Feel the feelings. Sit with them and identify them. Are you sad, angry....what is it that you're feeling? I'm not asking you to tell us these things, just to think about them.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Be well and take care. I hope you get to feeling better soon. (BTW, have you adjusted your sub dose for the pain?)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: One week, today
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So, things are slowly but surely getting better. I ate a cheeseburger yesterday, the first thing Ive actually chewed since getting the dentures.
It was still a lil painful, I have some 'hot spots' on the very front of my gums. But the extraction sites dont hurt anymore. I'll probly cut my stiches out later today. I cut the last ones out too, the dentist said I did awesome.

I spent yesterday, or the day before, thinking about all those people around, that have had thier teeth pulled, or thier teeth have rotted out, (like mine were doing) but couldnt / cant AFFORD the DENTURES.

and I was like ,,, you know, these people probably WISH they had the problems I do. They dont even have the OPTION.
That made me look at things from a different perspective.................and a powerful one.....................

So, thats where Im at now.
that and the middle of moving!!!!!
It does feel like Im starting to taste things agian, the way I look in the mirror, when I take them out, isnt QUITE so disturbing, but still tramatic.
Im coming around.
so Progress, not perfection, thats what counts, right?

Theres all kinds of horror stories all over the internet.........Im sure glad Ive got a dentist who truely seems to give a shit about me.
He called me twice, over the first weekend, and he (HIMSELF) has called twice this week, and I saw him Monday morning. I see him agian, Monday night. Alot of ppl tell me they look so much like natural teeth, they wouldnt know if I didnt tell them.

My speech, is still about the same. words like
purchase
custom
construction

are hard to get the hang of.

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Considering the physical and psychological changes you have to go through with this change, I think you are doing WONDERFULLY! You're healing quickly and you are dealing with it emotionally better and better each day. I personally think it's because you're experiencing your emotions and expressing them. Stifling and hiding our emotions (or ignoring them) keeps them locked inside us and just stalls the healing process.

I'm proud of you and how you're handling things. Keep up your great attitude and determination and that will take you far. I'll say it again: I'M PROUD OF YOU - and you should be too! :mrgreen:

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: 2 week mark
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

THANKS, a big huge THANKYOU to all you guys, seriously !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

today is the two week mark, and I can happily say
NOW it feels 'normal'
NOW, it feels like they've ALWAYS been there!!

well, most of the time anyways :D
Im still learning to eat some foods. The only part I really have trouble with is chewy foods, and biting into something, like a buger or a subway sandwich. thats still a challenge, bcuz I have a spot that needs to be "taken down' a little in the front.

but, the good news is, they fit great, and never come out. even when I take them out, I have to pull now and break the suction.

just wanted to post in here and let everybody know that,
that for ME at two weeks, it feels like theyve been there for my whole life!!!!!

So Im feeling much better, and smiling a big huge smile ALL THE TIME.

There REALLY IS light at the end of the tunnel!!! I promise :wink:
and THANKS for all the encouragment, I sure needed it!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:50 am 

That's fantastic news, Amber! That's one more step in your recovery story. And what a recovery story it is! I love that you're smiling proudly for everyone to see. :)

Amy

Post subject: I'm not alone!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Amber, I know exactly how you feel. It is nice (don't know if that is the right word??) to see someone else so young dealing with dentures too. I had ALL of my teeth pulled in one appointment when I was 29. I'm brand new to this site, but everyone seems so positive and helpful. I just wanted to share that you aren't alone, and neither am I. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WELCOME!!!

and I think thats the right word,,,,,, its knowing someone has empathy, TOO, for you. .. . . .

Its been almost a month now, I definitely need a few adjustments to the top one, but Im doing much better. Im eating regular foods again, I think I may have posted that already??

anyways, THANKYOU

and this is a realy great place for compassion, understanding, and GREAT information.
hope to 'see' ya around :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just joined. Just saw post. I have had an upper partial for 10yrs now. but more teeth have disintergrated - must redo it. WHEREVER the metal part of your partial attaches to - be extra vigilant on cleaning that tooth. Also DO take them out overnight. I left my partials in for 3 days at a time. BAD IDEA. This is how I got excessive tooth decay and gum rot. I must get bottom teeth now.
Being a woman it IS so embarrassing and shameful for me. But I try to make "now I am a $5 crack prostitute" jokes ...
when I take them out & approach my husband at night. The main thing is that surgery is ALOT LESS painful than the pain I have had from cavities, abcesses, swollen face & gums & even ear & throat pain from avoiding the dentist.
It is humbling to take my teeth out. It's a constant reminder of my addiction right in my face. BUT I use it as a tool for my teens - teaching them ALL the repercutions of addiction.
Great Post.
Thank you for being so honest.

Post subject: QUESTION
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I got lost in your story & forgot what I wanted to ask!! DUH!
I need oral surgery - as stated - Any Meds while AT the Doc's office I should be aware of? Or do I just tell him I am on Suboxone & hope he doesn't freak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

you can ask for a benzo-type med, to help 'relax' you while your in surgery. thats what I did. It wont affect your suboxone, at all. I was completely upfront with my denist, and he was VERY understanding.
He Rx'd me "triazolam'' becuz its 'half life' is like 5 hours, and it leaves your system much quicker than xanax. At least that was his reason.
I took one an hour before each 'extraction' appt. and another one when I got there, each time. and i slept thru the whole thing, pretty much.

I did feel like I got hit by a mack truck the next morning!!!

If I were you, Id just take 800mg of motrin and 750mg tylenol, every four hrs afterwards, you'll probly want to anyways, but the few times I forgot, I sure paid for it. felt like my mouth was on FIRE , until they 'kicked' in.

I went thru the whole thing with motrin, tylenol , suboxone, and I did take a triazelam, the first nite each time, to help me sleep.
Good luck

That's TRUE STRENGTH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I see alot of threads about Calcium Chloride online regarding Suboxone ... I have been put on high doses of Calcium, Vitamin D3, Magnesium & Gloucosamine. I havent started taking them because I am confused. Will I go into withdrawal? I have been online for 3 days now trying to figure it out. (Even srarted a thread here.)
Thank you for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wouldnt think it would cause you to go into withdrawl, but I really have NO freaking idea. I mean ,,, if the dr. doesnt think it will, it shouldnt right?? (lol, I know, even the ones that THINK they know about suboxone, DONT)

why (if you dont mind) are they wanting you to take these meds???

I mean, if it DOES affect your suboxone therapy, would it be an option to just NOT take those other meds???

sorry Im not more help

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:21 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for sharing your story Amber and all the replies. I think it is giving me some comfort. I wanted to add to this for the sake of documentation. I am going in for full dentures next week and 17 extractions. I have some fear mainly because I had one extraction a while back with nothing for pain after the novacain wore off except my regular dose of sub (not much help), motrin and ice packs. It was pretty bad. The dentist didnt get it all so I had to go back a few days later and let him hack on me some more. I have changed sub docs since all that and my new one is dead set against me suffering (too much). I really like him :D . Anyway he has spoken to the dentist which is clueless about sub and the plan is to use some type of (pain?) blocker in addition to Buprenex to manage the pain. I will report back on the exact process, meds that will be used and the results which I'm praying will be positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Birdcatcher!!!

the one thing I can honestly say, is
I felt prepared, for the most part, for the actual physical pain. I stocked the fridge with lots of soft stuff, and had lots of motrin, and tylenol. And you know, the top hurt much more than the bottom. but I guess, my roots were REALLY long, according to the dentist. I had like a huge blister, over my gum, every place a root came out.
when I went in, to get those last four pulled, it wasnt too bad. small potatos, compared to the prior visits.

Anyways, the thing that I was NOT prepared for, was how I felt about myself, on the inside.
I felt old, and ugly, and like a loser that didnt take care of her teeth. seeing yourself, with no teeth, in the mirror, is just, shocking, like I said before.

BUT, you know what????
it gets better, alot better.
and doesnt take too long either.
of course, I got all the molars pulled, and let them heal awhile, so I only had to get "used'' to the last four extractions, before I was chomping on everything.

So, its been about 6 weeks. and Im eating all kinds of good stuff, nowadays.
I just got my soft reline, last tuesday. Let me tell ya, it fits so much better, and its so 'soft' against my gums.
made my confidence level go up, about a thousand points.

so thats my 'words of wisdom'
try to prepare yourself, for the inside changes you'll feel, not jus the outside.
Its up to YOU, who know about your teeth, in real life anyways.
of course my family and close friends knows about mine, but I pick, who I tell. and nobody else has the slightest clue!!!

Good luck, with everything!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:34 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thanks for your insight Amber. I havent thought too much about the "all gum" look in the mirror but I can imagine how thats going to be a little freaky. Heck, what I'm looking at in the mirror now is freaky. I have always been good at adapting so I think I will get used to it quickly. sounds like you are adapting well. My current dental condition is a constant reminder of the abuse I have put myself through. Its been so long since I wasnt embarrased to open my mouth and am really looking forward to laughing or smilling without my lips buttoned shut. I know my self esteem will get a boost too. Doc says the bottoms are the tough ones to keep secure so as soon as I get this payed off I'm going for the 2 implants on the bottom to attach them. I'm told suction on the uppers keeps them put. What is your experience so far? Honestly what is driving me to do this mainly is the tooth aches several times a year and I really think the whole mess is affecting my overall health. I am 42 and have big plans for the future and believe this is going to be a big help in many ways. this afternoon, driving home was the first time in a while I experienced a sense of wellbeing and natural euphoria and think this may be part of it. Oh,I have an awesome wife and know she will be prepared with the soft foods and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think your right, about the implants on the bottom. My dentist, was able to save the four front teeth, on the bottom, so I have a partial, that anchors to them. I still have to use fixodent, on the bottom though. Cuz the way the metal things "hook'' on to the teeth, if you have them tight, it hurts my teeth. so I just choose to use the glue stuff, and have the metal deals, loose.

The top, I guess the more of a 'cave' you have in the top of your mouth, the more suction you have. My entire thumb, fits in mine, so Idont really have a problem.
when I first got the last ones pulled, (remember the molars had 4wks to heal) it was REALLY sore, so I didnt 'bite' down on anything. Also, your gums shrink quite a bit, but as long as you go back to the dentist for 'adjustments' you wont have problem.
Id say after two weeks, it was 'sticking' really well, then my gums shrank a lil, and it was kinda falling out when I'd smile really big (YES, feels good!!) so I went back, and got a 'soft reline' and NOW, geez, the really stick!!!
I guess they give you the soft reline, which is temporary, for a few months, before they do a 'hard' one, so that most of your 'shrinkage' has happend. he told me to come back in about six months for the hard reline, unless the material he put in from the soft one, comes out prematurely. I got one soft reline, and one hard one, included in the price of the denture.

oh, and ive never had to use the fixodent (or anything) on the top. my dentist said, if you do, they dont fit right. and its not a 'long term' solution. especially, if you dont want to have to take them out at night. I dont , I leave mine in, all the time, except when I brush (everytime I eat). I do take out the bottoms, at night, since I have woken up in the a.m, and they are 'missing' LOL

Does that make sense? I hope so!!
and yes, you will feel better, being able to smile, laugh, etc, and not hide your teeth. I totally knwo what you mean.
although, it was hard to 'teach' myself, its 'ok' to let them show. I still caught myself, covering them, for a week or so.
but now, I bust up laughing, like I used to ten years ago, when I was a teenager.
having dentures, at 30, maybe I had a harder time with it, becuase of my age, and being a girl? Im not sure. But Im feeling alot better these days. and NOW, it feels like they've pretty much always been there.

oh, and dont read horror stories off the 'net like I did!!!!! LOL
I read so many terrible things about different dental places, omg.

your overall health WILL improve I was getting really, reallly bad absesses, every six weeks or so. and they just hurt all the time, but I had kinda 'gotten used to it'
I can tell you I wake up with more energy, and seem not to feel NEARLY as 'run down' as I did, before. Its hard to explain, but it almost feels like getting poisen , outta your body.
I still feel like I have a reminder of what my 'choices' got me, but again, I think that may be more related to my age.
And, we all know that dentures look better than rotten teeth, any day.

Im really happy for you.
it does take some getting used to, but its totally worth the effort.
My husband has been really, really understanding and supportive, too. For some reason, he knows the exact moment to tell me how beautiful he thinks I am.

[marq=right]^^^GOOD LUCK^^^[/marq]

That's TRUE STRENGTH