It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:57 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the encouragement Amber. i'm feeling good about it. I have my 4 front bottom teeth still in pretty good shape too so I think I will discuss leaving them. Tuesdays the big day. thanks for the "good luck"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:49 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hhhuuuwwww. well its day 5 after my 13 extractions and dentures and its been quite an experience. Tonight I finally feel I have turned the corner on my healing and pain. Actually the approach we took to manage the pain worked better than I (and the dentist) thought. I could tell He thought for sure I was screwed. Tuesday when I got home from the dentist and felt the local start to wear off I took 8mg of subutex (my normal Suboxone dose is 4mg a day), 1200mg of Ibuprofin and 2mg of Tizanidine with ice packs and continued this dosing about every 6 or so hours. I had little to no pain up until yesterday. At that point I had taken about 70mg of the straight Bupe (over 2 weeks worth of what I normally would take) and it I started to feel pretty sick so I stopped the bupe. it was also starting to loose its effectiveness rather abruptly. Last night was crazy pain. Everything in my whole mouth hurt especially the 2 moller extractions that involved the most trauma and it felt like the stitches were slicing into my gums. I switched to heat and was able to make it through the night. I was sore this morning and took 4mg of bupe which helped and seemed to get better throughout the day using only ibuprofin and ice/heat. tonight when I removed my dentures there was far less discharge than normal and my gums are not as tender. I pray last night was the peak of this experience and am really liking me new teeth aside from all the bad stuff but overall I was expecting it to be way worse. Right now I feel pretty good with no yuk taste in my mouth so we'll see. I was able to determine that the bupe was responsible for the bulk of the pain relief but the other 2 meds played a part aswell
So the moral of the story is that using straight bupe in a situation similar to mine can be very effective and hope that it helps someone else going through the same thing.Now the question is how will the adjustment back down to my normal dose of sub be? Ido plan to use up the stockpile in my system before I resume my normal doseing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HEY IM GLAD YOUR HANGING IN THERE !!!!!!

It'll get BETTER, I promise!!!!
Just keep doing what works for you. I know, its hell. It was for me. The discharge or yellow shit, between the dentures and gums only lasted about 3 days for me. it went away fairly quickly.
and you know, I took out my stiches, with a pair of toenail clippers. but he had done a 'mattress' stich, is what he called it, where it was all basically one or two threads going thru the whole mouth. (top and bottom seperate obviously)
So I just clipped it in a few different spots, and pulled'm out!!!
it didnt hurt, actually felt WAYYY better, after. I took them out, on day 5 or 6
once the gums start shrinking away from the stiches
other than that, the only thing I can suggest is maybe some tylenol??? to go w/the ibprofen. def keep the Ibprofen in your system. My mouth always felt like it was on FIRE after 5 hours, then it'd take a good 30 min for the motrin to work.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or anything
you WILL feel beter soon, you WILL
Im chompin down on everything these days!! ate some baby carrots the other day for the first time in five years I think!!!!

so dont worry, you'll get there.
I can honestly say for me, the worst days were 3 and 4 I think. for my top teeth. when I got the bottom done, it was days 2 and 3. the top didnt even start to hurt til day 3 though.
I hope that helps.
If you feel like you've turned the 'corner' than you probably have. YOU know better than anybody else whats goin on.

Hang in there, you will be smiling all day long, soon. very soon
and that will feel good.

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I feel like my stitches are contributing to some pain today and as you mentioned its like my mouth is on fire too or like salt in my wounds. mainly on the inside of my gums. I was reading elsewhere that the pain should be getting less by the third day so its a relief to here you say you were still feeling it after that. I was starting to worry I may have dry socket but I really dont have any symptoms just burning and its not just in one or two spots. I am going to see the dentist in the morning to be sure nothing bad is going on and to make some tweaks to my dentures, my bottom partial is putting pressure/pain on my 4 center bottom teath. Thanks for the encouragement. I really needed that tonight. Anxious to get through the healing so I can get used to these things and start reaping the benefits. Thanks again Amber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thats good your going in the morning to get looked at. I think seeing the dentist often, really helps.

It'll especially help in two weeks or so, when your healing really begins with your gum tissue. dont worry it doesnt hurt, Im just talking about how your gums kinda re-shape themselves. It does hurt when you have 'rub spots' or high spots, so I was at the dentist once a week for a few weeks getting adjustments. Its all good though.

I would say that by day 7 I was only taking ibprofen twice a day. I do remember that.

Good for you,Im glad you have a positive outlook on this. I was pretty depressed at first. It was just hard for me to get over the fact that all my top teeth were gone!!

OH and I have four teeth left in the front on bottom TOO!!!! And I experienced the SAME thing. those lil clips hurt like hell on my teeth!!! so I ended up just loosening them myself, and I use just a dab of fixodent every morning, to kinda glue them down. It works great and they stay in place, all day.
and my teeth dont hurt!!!
So you might try that. It doesnt take much of that stuff. Ive had the same tube, since I got mine, (a week before 4th of july) and the tube isnt even half gone.
Thats what worked for me. the dentist insisted that "Id get used to it" but it just hurt, and it felt like those clips were scratching my teeth or something. hard to explain.

Anyways, keep on keepin' on.
You'll get there my friend :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:13 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

aaahhhh Thank God. today I made it through the whole day with no agonizing pain with sane amounts of motrin. HURRAY!!!! :D And had my dents in all day too :D
I was completly exhausted yesterday and crashed at 9:30 and slept straight through till 7. First good sleep in a week. my body was saying "go to bed, time to heal" Only problem today was the straight,high doses of bupe created the Hoover Dam in my digestive system :( :( :( . You would've thought I should have realized that. TMI, I know
So Amber, my question is, how long was it for you till they started feeling like they are supposed to be there? I'm not having a bad time and they are fairly comfortable considering but am wondering when I wont be able to really tell too much they are in there and when every bite I take makes me think about them. sounds like you are adjusted quite well. still waiting for my body to recognize I'm back at my normal dose of sub too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:D :D :D so happy to hear things are lookin up!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

For me, it seemed to be right around the two week mark, that they felt 'normal' to be there.
I noticed when I took them out to brush, it all of a sudden felt 'foriegn' for my tongue to be touching the roof of my mouth!! and I was like, WIERD.
then, I got done cleaning/brushing, put them back in, and it felt 'normal'
and I swear, the day before, it felt like I had a big chunk of plastic in my mouth!!
I think right around a month, is when I started to actually taste food again too. that was another hard one for me. everything I ate those first few weeks, just felt and tasted like cardboard. I just felt like I was missing so much taste, by having my gums/roof of the mouth covered.
but I think what they say is true, about your taste buds getting stronger, on the parts of your mouth that taste. who knows.
that was just my experience.

and yes, now Im definitely used to it.
Im still going in for the ocasional 'adjustment' with the dentist. but other than that, things are good. I dont feel like I sound any different now. Its great to be able to have a big laugh now, and not worry about my rotten teeth showing.
That really is priceless, for me. I love to laugh so much. and I didnt laugh out loud very often at all, when I was using. when I did, I was faking it.
so when I started crackin up again, at about 6-8 months on suboxone, I still covered my teeth up.
LOL
Now, its a totally different story.

So hang in there, YOUR DOING IT :wink:
your makin it!!!!
and just think, you'll never have to go thru it agian!!!
thats one thing, that helped me get thru it. LOL

good luck!!!!!!
any more questions, just ask :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:08 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thanks for the "approximations" on when things will be normal. now I have something to look forward to. I wanted taco bell so bad for lunch today and it probabley would have been satisfying but they were out of knives. my plan was to cut my soft tacos up into small peices but intead had to tear them into peices. I hope no one was watching :oops: by the time my gums had enough it was cold and still ended up tasting like cardboard. I'm so ready to be healed so I can chew regular. I really appreciate the encouragement. its helped alot. I do feel I am making it, really have no choice. as they say "theres no turning back now". atleast every day is getting better.
have you found anything yet that is hard to eat? one of my favorite snacks is shelled sunflower seeds. I'm wondering if I will ever again be able to pop one in my mouth, extract the seed and spit out the shell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HA HA HA HA HA
your post made me think of me at subway, at lunch time, they didnt have knives either. well, I carry a lil razor knife, to cut open boxes and stuff at work, so I cut my sandwich up with yes, my razor knife, and yes, there WERE people watching.

its normal that everything feels/tastes like cardboard, but it WILL improve. that takes a bit longer, than the feeling normal in your mouth part, but you'll get there :wink:

I would guess you should be able to do the sunflower seeds, with some practice later, of course.
The only thing Ive found so far, to be a pain in the ass, is
I used to LOVE to eat laffy taffy, back when I had teeth. As you can imagine, this is just a HUGE mess with dentures.
all it does is stick to the fake teeth, and then to the bottom fake teeth, and its a real pain.
literally!!!
then you gota pick all of it out, yea, thats a whole ton of fun,too!!!
LOL
so take it from me, dont try that!!!
but thats the only thing Ive found I cant eat. I would guess the same thing will happen with anything chewy like that.
Ive eaten some candy just fine, with them though. Like I really love these little 'hershey drops' cookies and cream flavor and I have no problem with that.
after your all healed up, its pretty DAMN awesome to take all your teeth out and eat half melted ice cream. its wierd, but it tastes so much better with the ice cream all over your gums.
and now that I THINK about it, i did that when I was still healing too, to sooth my gums a little. just plain ice cream.

so yea, keep on truckin'
I think your taste buds on your tongue get stronger or something. like make up for the ones you lose, bcuz Im definitely enjoying the taste of that candy these days!!!!!!
so theres some hope!!!!

Its been nice being able to 'help' somebody a bit thru this process. the only person I really talked to was my grandma. but she had hers done at like 18 yr old, and shes 76. to say that her 'time frames' were a little fuzzy, is an understatement!!!
but she tried!! LOL

have a good night man.
one more day down, your getting there!!!!!!!!!
dont forget to 'treat' yourself too. you know, if you find something you DO enjoy eating, even now, go all out. YOU deserve it!!!
I was eating ice cream for dinner one night, that first month, and my three yr old son says.
"mommy, you cant have ice cream for dinner"
I said,
'' when you have all your teeth ripped out, you can have whatever you want for dinner"
he immediately started trying to 'pull' his teeth.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hang in there
how many days has it been for you , now?

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:48 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

oh boy. been a few since I checked in but doing ok now. I really dont want to get in to this cuz its discusting but I'm going to share it for anyone that reads the thread and takes the route I did with pain management (sorry to put some bad in our nice conversation Amber). IF YOU TAKE HIGH DOSES OF BUPE TO MANAGE PAIN DURING SURGERY DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM. alot of us have problems with constipation because of sub. I really didnt think too much about it until I tried to go about 5 days after my procedure. I ended up with a pretty bad impacted stool and had 2 days of hell. I did go to the emergency room and we were able to get it under control orally. the discomfort ranked right up there with my worst day of the denture ordeal. anyway, enough of that I just dont want anyone to go through this miserable experience so heed the warning.

Amber, this coming Tuesday will be 2 weeks and my only real complaint is the lack of taste and still sore (cant really chew). I so badley want a hamburger or something. Its been frustrating cuz my mouth waters for something then when I eat it it hardly has any taste but I believe you that it will get better and I am soooooo ready. 6 more weeks to go, right? I think the way I am progressing that thats realistic. I have been indulging in my favorite night time snack...a bowl of cereal. rice crispys is about all I can manage but I'm enjoying it. still trying to figure out how to form a bolus (the ball of food we form in our mouth before swallowing). anyway, I'll keep on keepin on and you do the same
thats funny what your boy did. mine is 8. I sure miss the cute "3's"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh man, Im sorry to hear that. Guess thats a gooooood reason NOT to post, lol

well, your all better now, so thats good. I had some problems like that , but not while on sub, it was back in the 'old days' when I first started bingeing on narcotics. and YES, I had to go to the ER too. I actually went three different times over the course of a weekend, Id chicken out while waiting in the waiting room. LOL
Thank god I had an understanding nurse, who was like, well Im guessing that if I was 23 and at the ER for THIS reason, it'd have to be pretty damn unbearable. LOL
uggh. I feel for ya man.

Yes, I would say things definitely tasted like cardboard for at least a month, 6 weeks. LOL
But it will get better, keep your head up!!!!

Good to hear from ya :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:06 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the support Amber. Everything is good now and the chompers are progressing well. I am getting to the point where I dont notice them as much so I guess I'm getting used to them. Also chewwing on my left side (right side is still sore) probably the only thing I hate is taking them out at night. the denture glue stuck to the roof of my mouth is very unpleasant and all the days yukies in there..... gross :D . Somedays though all the glue comes out with the denture. I did get my first compliment yesterday from an old friend so I guess I'm not having a problem showing my teeth when I smile now :D :D :D
I have been spending my evenings researching Ibogaine as sometime in the next year I want to get off the sub. It has been good to me but after 3 years some side effects are manifesting so I need to deal with it. thanks again, you have been a great help. I wish you the best in your recovery and your life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Awwwwwww, thanks!!!!

I wish you the VERY best, whatever you decide to do. If you DO try the ibogaine, let me know how it goes, ok?

Or whatever else you may need, dont forget to keep in touch!!!!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:20 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

will do

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

you need to be carefull dentists will overcharge you necause of you're situation I go to a clinic in Ga. and I make dentures for a living I do a service for the clinic I go to and offer uppers and lowers for 500.00 a set. please shop around ask your counselor if they can refer to someone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am on 8mg suboxone for 8 months and am going to have 8 upper and 4 lower teeth pulled. I am very scared about the postop pain. I am wondering if 800 mb of IBU and my suboxone will give me some relief?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:34 pm 

Hey snugz :)

I haven't had that many teeth pulled but about a yr or so ago i had two back teeth pulled. I was completely honest with my wonderful dentist about me being on sub. Anyway it ended up that after he pulled them, I had partial bone exposure and had stitches....ouch totally sucked. He told me that he would actually give me more pain medication then the normal patients because of the bone exposure. I absolutely refused cause I did not wanna go down that road. So he gave me 800mg ibuprofen and told me to call if it became unbearable and he'd work with my sub Dr and give me something for pain.

I did not need anything other than the ibuprofen and my suboxone. It did get edgy at times but I did it and honestly after the second day I barley needed the ibuprofen. Now I know ur having more done than that and u could be a little different. But I think u will be fine with just the sub and ibuprofen.

I hope this helped ya a little. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:20 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

wow you lost so many teeth. i remember when my teeth had been pulled but that's a long time ago. and the doctor gave me ibuprofen .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, my names Jacob. I'm 19 soon to be 20. I just recently (about a week ago) had 6 front teeth pulled. For awhile I honestly stopped caring about my life, I got into some things that would make my mother cry had she known. I had known for awhile I needed to get some teeth pulled, but never really had the courage to face the dentist. I knew getting the partial would be a big change, but never really thought it would affect me emotionaly. Within the past week I've contemplated suicide more times than I can count. I love the way I look with them in, but at night, when I run my tongue along my gums, I want nothing more than to curl up and die.
I was in Walmart today, getting polident for my partials. An elderly women was standing next to me. When she realized what I was looking at she looked bewildered. I don't know why, but the look on her face made me break down bawling my eyes out. I can't handle living like this, I need to learn how to cope. Witch is what led me to this forum. I know there's no answer out there that will solve my problems, I know this is going to take awhile for me to be comfortable with. I want to know how to stop hating myself, I want to go to bed smiling for once. I want to know how to be happy with myself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:01 am 

You're so young! Only 3 years older than my boy (also Jacob) and I hate for you to feel so low. I need to tell you a couple things.

First, it will get better! Are you an addict and are you on suboxone? It sounds like you are in the process of pulling your life together, and taking care of your health, dental or otherwise, is an important step toward adulthood. I understand that it's scary! When I was just 18 my dentist told me that I needed jigsaw surgery, which included having my mouth cut into pieces and then put back together and wired shut for a couple months! I was terrified, and as a consequence I stayed away from the dentist for 10 years. You have just faced your fears and gotten the dental work done. Do you know how brave that is???

Second, you will become used to your new reality over time and sooner than you think! Dealing with your partial will just become second nature until you don't really think about it anymore. I've had sudden, life-changing physical stuff happen to me as well. At first you feel like an alien in your own body, right? But soon it becomes part of daily living.

Third, anyone who truly cares about you (and I'm sure this includes your mom) won't judge you for having a partial. They will forgive that you had a period in your life where everything went to shit and it had some consequences.

Now, if empathy didn't work, I want you to listen up to this tough love part. After you grieve for the way your smile used to be, I want you to suck it up and stop thinking only of yourself. The fact that you've faced up to some consequences of your behavior (the dental work) tells me that you are ready for more adult type thinking. Adults use their experiences to develop empathy towards others. Therefore, so what if you can take out part of your teeth and put them back in? Think about all the people who don't have the financial ability to fix their rotting teeth! Think about the young adults who have weak teeth because they had radiation treatments for cancer. I've seen it happen! You have an opportunity to get over your own pain and discomfort by thinking about, or even caring for, other people. You've obviously been through some difficult times in your young life. How can you turn that into being helpful toward others?

Tell us more about yourself, Jacob. We would like to hear it!

Amy