It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I wanted to tell you my best friends story about her pregnancy while on suboxone....
First off when she found out she was pregnant she was 5 weeks. She was at the time still using opiates (any kind mostly percocet). As soon as she found out about the pregnancy she immediately started using suboxone (unprescribed) cause she knew it was healthier for the baby and not safe to stop and go thru w/d. When she went to make an appointment with a ob she was turned down for being honest about her sub use. They referred her to a clinic at the hospital that takes patients like her case just to be turned down again because they weren't accepting new patients at the time. at this point she was only taking half a sub a day...
After being so frustrated at this point and listening to her friends advice to just tapper off the sub slowly, the next doctors appointment she made she didn't tell them anything about her sub use. She just went about the pregnancy like it was a normal one. I was her support system thru the whole pregnancy and I personally take Subs myself and other than the anxiety and stress of none of her doctors knowing and the thought of C.P.S and the possible w/d of her child she had a good pregnancy. By the 36th week or so she had finally tapered down to 1 mg or close to a day.
She ended up giving birth to a beautiful baby boy around 6.5 lbs! She was in labor for almost 3 days and at that time wasn't even worried about her small dose of suboxone...when she was admitted into the hospital she got a eppidural and had no problems with it, couldn't feel a thing! Her baby was born so healthy they got to leave after 24 hours by choice instead of staying for the whole 48.
I personally have been reaserching this matter all thru her pregnancy and I knew her and the baby would be okay. The dose she tapered down to was so small it seemed like it was almost a psychological addiction that she still had to take care of which is something babies aren't even born with cause they don't know better if they r the slightest addicted.
I also know that if she had told any of the doctors about her sub use child protective services would get involved because she wasn't prescribed the drug ( even tho she was trying to do what was best) and she would be judged by all the nurses in the hospital and every sneeze and every cough the baby would make would be over analyzed and documented as nas...which means her baby would still be in the hospital being over medicated because he wa being honest about her 1 mg suboxone intake...to me it seems like she did the right thing with the cards she was dealt.
Her baby is so beautiful! He sleeps thru the night, eats right ( breast fed and supplemented) and only fusses when he's hungry or when he is getting changed..
Idont suggest to handle your situation the same as she did at all, you should be honest with ur doctors if they allow u to lol. But I wanted to tell her story to again reassure pregnant suboxone / subtext users that u r doing the right thing. Don't let anybody judge u and if u take the drug right and taper down, you and your new bundle of joy will be healthy and be able to enjoy this experience just like every other normal person does...
If u have anymore questions about her pregnancy I'll e glad to answer them to my knowledge...I can always ask her too :)
Stay strong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

liam---thank you for posting your friends story...very encouraging that she ended up with a sweet healthy baby! I too, was on Subutex while pregnant and had a healthy baby boy as well without any signs of NAS, and I was on 16 mg/ day.

Although I know many people have delivered babies on Subutex without their doctors knowing, and how hard it can be to admit a problem (because shame is so huge regarding our addictions) it really is best a woman is honest with her provider. If I could advise someone who just found out they were pregnant and taking unprescribed Suboxone, I would advise her to search out a Suboxone doctor seperatley from her OB doctor. The Sub doctor, even though knowing she is taking Sub not prescribed to her, would help her get on her own treatment plan, while prescibing her her own Sub, and he would keep in touch with the OB doctor, just so everyone is on the same page. I think a doctor is inspired by someone who can be honest, and reach out for help for the better of her unborn child.

It isn't safe to leave the hospital after 24 hours after delivery. Many times, babies do not show signs of NAS with Suboxone until days 4 or even 5 (the bup hold on so tightly to the brain receptors), and although you can look for signs yourself, it is better for the child that they are monitored, but that would mean having to be honest with the ped and ob doctor.

I work at the OB unti in our hospital, and have seen babies withdrawal from moms who are on an extremely low dose. And at the same time, I have seen babies not go through withdrawal on high doses (which was my case as well). You just don't ever know, and each baby and mom is different. It is best to always play it safe.

I am so happy she has a healthy baby...that is what matters most at this point! Thanks for sharing her story, Im sure many moms will be comforted.

--Sarah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I completely agree about being honest to your doctors...especially if it's for the safety of your child but she felt like she was in a bind...we live in the state of maryland and I don't know what other state policies are but when she called to make an appointment with the first ob she called she was completely honest with the woman. After the lady listened to her story the lady was rude to her and told her th at they could not accept her as a patient and told my friend that no other "normal" ob doctor would accept her either!...the lady continued to go on about how she was going to have a high risk pregnancy and that she needed to be rehabilitated...the lady gave my friend a couple of numbers were she could possibly be taken in as a patient...one was a rehab that wanted u to stay there on campus with them and then go to counseling for 6 months after 2 days a week...my friends insurance didn't cover that of course and the rehab was an hour and a half away, impossible to go to twice a week with a full time job and no car :cry: ...then the other ob office she was referred to she called and the lady she spoke to from there told her they weren't accepting any new patients!...how ridiculous could this get! I was personally fed up with the situation and i knew she was too especially since she is the pregnant one and is being treated like a horrible person...
After confiding in me and her mother...she decided that the next ob office she would call she would just act like she isn't on any meds and take it into herself a promise to taper as much as she can to prevent her unborn child from Going thru any withdrawal...
But Sarah...I do completely agree with you but my friend felt helpless in her situation....I was there for her to try and help but I didn't know what to do either :(

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone! I am in desperate need of help!
I am eight weeks pregnant and have been taking suboxone for a month. I started taking it to avoid withdrawals from quitting my habit of snorting oxy. Now that i know i am prego i am afraid to quit because withdrawals can cause miscarriage. So my problem is I am eight weeks pregnant taking 4mgs of suboxone a day with out a script. I have called every pain clinic and even talked to my obgyn (who admits she knows nothing about drugs or anyone who can help). I have been turned down by everyone. So i am hoping someone might have advice as far as someone i can call for help. I have a litttle over a weeks worth of sub.
I have good insurance and moneys not much of an issue but i cant find anyone who can help me because im pregnant. if ANYONE can help me please do. I live in northern California... City: Antioch, CA. I am willing to travel but not to far. I need a doctor who can prescribe me subutex or suboxone while pregnant. I am trying to do the right thing and i thought asking for help would be the best thing. But i am so lost and in tears. Every nurse i talk to says sorry i cant help you but good luck. PLEASE HELP :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

CalixBaby,

There's a link to "Find a Certified Physician" at the top of our forum. Please go on the link and search for a doctor in you'r area. Be diligent. You may hafta call several places before your able to find a Sub Doc who's willing to help. I've never been to California, but I've heard that you guys are pretty saturated w/Sub Doctors. I would think that the only problem in which you might run into would be the fact that your pregnant and some Sub Docs don't accept pregnant pts.

You don't hafta get Ur Sub from a "Sub Doctor" though. Many Pshyciatrists and GP's are prescribing it now too. And, Im sure there have been many mom's that have found a "safe" Sub source w/out the help of a Doctor.....but this would be my LAST resort. You don't need the extra stress and anxiety of worrying about what might happen to you or you'r baby if someone learns that you are taking Sub illegally.

We're all here to support you. If it seems as though you CAN'T find a a Doctor to prescribe you Sub, maybe you should consider Methadone treatment. A Methadone clinic may be a little easier to get into (as Methadone treaetment is still the standard of care for opiate dependent mom's and their babies). Good luck and keep us up to date.

Post subject: Thankyou Marie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanx so much. I went to a new obgyn today and as i was telling her my situation she shook her head. Me and my boyfriend felt ashamed and we are only trying to do whats best for the baby. So i am going to find a new doctor. But thank the lord i called 2 million places today and found ONE Sub Doc that will prescribe it to me while prego. Now i just gotta find a cool doctor who will support me. Thank you for ur help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:51 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Best of luck to you! This must be a stressful time for you. Keep your head up and know that you are doing the RIGHT thing for you and your baby. Lots of love....

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, sweetie. You can do this. I'm sorry that doctor gave you a negative attitude. That seriously sucks. I had a baby on Sub and she was and is absolutely fine. You are ahead of where I started. I was taking a much, much higher dose when I got my shocking positive test. I did jump for a week and it was horrible and, yes, it can cause a miscarriage. I was able to resume at 3 mg a day for the remainder of my pregnancy. I took 1 mg at a time and spaced my doses out as much as possible. The most important part is switching to Subutex. You need a doctor who will support you through this. My doctor never made me feel bad, and I appreciate that so much in hindsight.

Listen, you need to hold your head up and not let anyone get away with treating you in any way other than completely respectfully. If someone says something nasty to you or gives you a nasty look, call them on it. You are not some loser addict who is trying to hurt your baby. You are trying to do the best thing and you need them to guide you and not guilt trip you. Once you switch to Subutex, you can perhaps taper to a lower dose. If you do, just do it gradually and don't stress your body. The absolute worst case scenario is that your baby could have NAS, meaning have w/d after birth. However, that goes away! It's not the end of the world, no matter how sad that is. You have to know in your heart that in the end, this will all have a happy ending. Once you find a decent OB and a Sub doc, give them each the other one's ## and tell them to figure it out. Put it on them. That's what I did, and I had no problems. The upside of all this is that you may get to have many more ultrasounds and monitoring and that's great because it will reassure you that everything is humming along like it's supposed to.

((HUGS))....Hearing stories like yours puts me right back there.

laddertipper

Post subject: Laddertripper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You are an awesome chicky, I have been reading your posts and i am so thankful someone like you takes their time to share so much great personal information! You made me feel so good. I wont give up cus strong women like you inspire me!!!

Tears* (These hormones really get ya!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone! Heres an update. So i called 50 million doctors and found one life saver! The lady in the office was soo sweet and i think me crying helped a little too. After being turned down so many times by health professionals and my OB shaking her head at me and looking down at me i was loosing hope. But the last number i could find for a sub doc on google was THE ONE. I went to my appointment and spent 150 bucks and he told me he had researched suboxone was okay to take while pregnant and he said i can slowly taper to .5 mg eventually. Thank the lord because i did not want to resort to methadone. My question for you lady's is...has anyone takin suboxone (not subutex) while pregnant? How was your experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I didn't take Suboxone, but I still wanted to congratulate you on having found a good doctor! You must feel so much better. Let us know how it goes. I'm really excited for you. You're already being a good mom to your little nugget.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I took suboxone....I tapered to a little less than .5 mg the last 5 weeks of my pregnancy...with suboxone there is another drug in the pil that isn't in subutex...which is the reason why doctors feel more comfortable perscribing subutex to pregos over suboxone...I had no problem with suboxone...my doctor didn't want me to switch for some reason...I guess just because i was already on suboxone...I don't kow but every doc is different...I'm jus so glad u found help...more than i can say for my friend who had to deal with this with no doctor supporting her....I have experience with having support and then not having support....please let me know if u have anymore questions for me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I apologize if this is not posted in the proper thread.

I have been an opiate addict for 20 yrs. I also have four children. I have been to prison, I have been to rehabs, I have been to a University and on the Dean's list, I have worked beside some of the leaders of the free world, I have hustled along side fugitives and ruthless dealers....I dare suggest there would be ANY drug seeking behavior that would shock me at this point in my life. I also know the consequences and heartache of guilt that can consume us as parents or children who ALL remember "falling in love" with this particular drug. I judge NOT. I am also CONVINCED this is a MEDICAL and NOT moral issue although I KNOW I have CRINGED at the thought of the things I CHOSE to do in the name of preventing withdrawl or just searching for my "comfort zone" and I am RESPONSIBLE for those choices. Having said that, I've also made dispicable choices when NOT under the influence. I am also a firm believer in the "using being a symptom" to the REAL problem inside.

I will thank anyone in advance to spare me the ridicule or chastising in regards to the previous pregnancy experiences I have ALREADY gone through. If it is your desire to plug away with self-righteous statements on how I "must not love my children or not care or am selfish or dont deserve my kids" please understand that I have no interest and will likely not merit you with anything worthy of advice anyways, I am here to express my belief in Suboxone use in pregnancy and life for us HARD CORE life long opiate addicts who just believe THIS is our MIRACLE.

I HOPE it will become MORE commonplace to other mom's for a chance to SHARE in what happened to me. I wonder sometimes if I HAD not used a private hospital if I would have been treated as well....or if I had NOT been insured , or WHITE, or married to a person with a medical degree. I DO know however, ( other than the not being WHITE part obviously) how there IS IN FACT a certain stigma or more likely a chance of intolerance when falling into any other category as I am a 37 yr old mom of four who has not always been so fortunate.

IN any case, when I discovered and planned this last pregnancy, I was a suboxone ( still am ) user. I took about 2-4 mgs a day. I had gotten to the point where I would forget to even take it as I had grown accustomed to NOT living by my dose every 4-6 hours. I felt free from my addiction.
I began my pregnancy with fears though as I have ALSO experienced the AWFULNESS of being on Methadone when preg....or even LYING about my pain pill addiction and trying to HIDE it....or trying to WEAN off it during the LAST weeks of PRegnancy....Ive been thru ALL possible scenarios that MOST typical opiate addict mom's go thru those precious and critical 9 months.
THIS time....with NO "threat" of a probation officer or social worker ALREADY in my life thanks to my addiction, I decided to utilize the MOST important and logical thing for my child. HONESTY. I bought health insurance about a month BEFORE becoming pregnant as I KNEW I did NOT want to give birth at the cost of tax payers where I would be scrutinized and judge harshly for any underlying issues I may bring to the table. Face it, there are PLENTY of white, wealthy, insured married women who CERTAINLY have prescription drug issues that do NOT stop simply due to becoming pregnant.....and for ONCE I wanted to understand HOW my treatment and more importantly my child's might differ if I simply chose to assert myself in such a category. GRANTED, not EVERYONE has that chance.....and I understand that. Allow me to offer my best advice as someone who has been on BOTH sides of the economic, social and geographical spectrum.

I went into a "physicians and midwives" office in my local area that most affluent white women use. I wrote on my paperwork from DAY ONE that I was a suboxone user and wanted to state my concerns for my pregnancy and child as it is a FAIRLY new drug.
The moment I met on eof the mid-wive and nurses available at this clinic, they ALL seemed intrigued but NOT judgmental. In fact, there was NOT much mention of it after my first visit. At the 6 month mark, I did request a sonogram and was obliged as a CARD CARRYING member of BLUECROSS, of course. This was a lot different than my previous pregnancies where I had to "fake" cramping for a quick ultrasound at the ER! ( you mom's who have been there will appreciate that statement and nod with understanding and a giggle! )
About a month before my scheduled C-section ( unrelated to Sub ) I met with the internist at the private hospital I was to deliver at. He was brilliant, young and I BELIEVE he was Greek or from Pakistan. ( I know there is a HUGE difference! But he was fabulous nonetheless!)
I expected judgement, a lecture, negativity, and WARNINGS left and right, threats of "CPS" and other authorative agencies to become involved due to my ADMISSION from the GET GO OF TAKING suboxone. Instead I got: a very upbeat and positive and UNPHASED response by this man. He WAS informed of suboxone but also admitted to not leading MANY active pregnancies or deliveries under this drug. But in the same breath did NOT feel it was necessary to brow beat or instigate or interrogate me as to the HOWS and WHYS of my current dilema. He noted we would keep a casual eye on the baby in regards to the sub use. If all seemed well, we would let mother nature do the talking as they were CERTAINLY not naive to babies born addicted. we would look for all the tell-tale signs of W/D and monitor those needs if called for. But I will tell you that was the ONLY discussion or prep that was required or needed for my child. Obviously, there was a bit of calculating to do for the anesthisiologist when it came to my pain relief but again, honesty worked well and we both agreed on a play it by ear method. This only called for ONE heavy morphine shot afterwards as i retook my subs once out of big pain. My child had NO symptoms. Born Perfect. No tremors, No yawns, No signs of discomfort....and THAT was the MOST important thing of all.
I KNOW the agony and shame and guilt from seeing a child suffer those things....and I dont think a mom is EVER able to be the same after the reality of such a hideous sight.
My advice, TAKE your sub....take it thru pregnancy and DONT be afraid to tell your doc. If you are uninsured, get informed and use the proper terms with your caregivers. Educate yourself for your child's sake as well as for the sake of all the UNNECCESSARY shit that may come your way if you dont. I DO hope more DOCS will educate and inform their patients on what a HUGE chance their is that women can successfully bear, deliver and raise kids while being treated with SUB!
SORRY SO LONG!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL![font=Arial Black] [/font]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

The worst of the child withdraw was from the Methadone. While on the Buprenorphine my girlfriend got down to a little under a quarter 8 MG pill per day. There have been no long term side effects with the Buprenorphine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have a question. This post has been really helpful, thank you to everyone who shared their stories! I take 4 8mg/2mg tabs of Suboxone a day. A lot of the stories seemed to have people taking a much lower dose than that - I think. I'm a little confused since there are two dosages listed - that might be for another forum - but does that mean I'm taking 32mg of Subs a day? If so, is that too high?

I was planning on aborting the baby but now I'm having second thoughts. The weekend is coming up which is why I came here, I'll also ask my Dr. as soon as I can reach her next week. Please give me any info you may have!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:58 pm 

Hi, I just want you to know that you're posting on a thread that is 3 years old, so the people who commented on it might not see your response.

About your concerns. Yes, 32 mg is about the highest dose there is. Suboxone has a ceiling limit, meaning you reach a dosage that saturates your opiate receptors and every mg above that is not really doing anything to help your recovery more. People typically reach a ceiling limit around 6 to 12 mg. However, for some addicts who have been on really high doses of heroin or methadone before transitioning to suboxone, there may be some benefit (possibly psychological) to starting with a high dose of suboxone. I am not totally sure about that.

From where you are now there are some scenarios your pregnancy could follow. There is a possibility that you could stay on 32 mg throughout your pregnancy and your baby could be born without sub in its system. Therefore, no withdrawal for baby. You could stay on 32 mg throughout your pregnancy and your baby goes through withdrawal symptoms which will be medicated by hospital professionals. Most OBGYNs recommend that you don't try to withdraw from sub during pregnancy because that could cause a miscarriage.

Another scenario is that you do taper from your high dose of suboxone under the supervision of your OBGYN and your sub doctor. People have successfully tapered during pregnancy, as long as they took it slow and steady. Say you get down to 10 mg/day by the time you have the baby. When the baby is born it could go through withdrawals, or the baby could be free of withdrawals. There are no guarantees at any mg level that the baby won't go through NAS (withdrawal).

If you want to proceed with having the baby the best advice I can give you is to try to find an OBGYN who is experienced in dealing with pregnant women on suboxone. Be honest about your situation to the medical professionals involved.

I wish you the best as you make your decision.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am in a group on Facebook and one member has had two healthy babies while taking 32mg. If you are open to taper, I would find a supportive doctor that could monitor you very closely. I also have heard about women increasing their dose during pregnancy because pregnancy causes you to have a larger blood volume and a faster metbolism. Although that probably wouldn't be an option in your situation since you are at the max dose. Just wanted to throw that out there to let you know not everyone tapers and delivers on a low dose. Withdrawals can occur at 2mg in one baby but a baby exposed to 24mg could have absolutely no withdrawal. Just know that it is absolutely possible to continue your pregnancy and deliver a perfectly healthly baby while on suboxone. Its possible that they may switch you to subutex. Just find a very knowledgeable an understanding OB and sub doctor that can work together to give you the best treatment possible!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I know this post is old but I wanted to respond anyway. There are a lot of horror stories out their about being pregnant while on Suboxone or Subutex. I can share my personal experience, However, cannot guarantee that my situation will be anyone elses as everyone is different. I don't think doctors really know what may cause a newborn to go into withdrawl and what wont. Therefore, No one really knows for sure what will happen once the baby is born. In 2012 I had a baby boy. While pregnant I had already been on Suboxone for a year or two and after 5 months of being on suboxone I was switched to subutex because I obtained a different doctor because we moved 3 hours away and he put me on the subutex. My son was born healthy and had no W/D's. I was on 4 mgs my entire pregnancy. I will say that your baby will have to stay in the hospital a MINIMUM of 5 days for an observation period, and I do know this is mandatory when the mother is on suboxone or subutex (at least in the state of Wisconsin). We got to leave after the 5 day period but it was devastating to stay their that long as no one told us previously that we would have to. It was all dumped on us after I had the baby. The OB I had knew very little of an opioid dependant mother (which I now regret using this OB). My son did even better once we got him home and is a healthy and smart 5 year old to this day and you would never know. But one of the main reasons that I wanted to respond to this is because I feel that it is very important that if you are having a baby and are on either of these medications that you breast feed your baby. I truly believe that it helped with my son and is a big part of why he was fine and didn't withdrawl. A very tiny amount of the medicine is excreted in the breast milk and may very well be enough to keep withdrawls at bay. I know it is hard enough to have to deal with being pregnant and all the judgement from doctors and dealing with family members but you will get through it. Just always do what is best for you baby and not let your fear of what "may" happen take over. The doctors WILL help you if you are honest. No doctor will deny you if you are pregnant because it can and will hurt your unborn child if you stop taking the medication suddenly. Their must be some kind of law where they cannot just stop prescribing you or deny you. That would make them responsible for anything that could happen to your unborn child. Good Luck :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Unless things have changed over the past few years, every state is NOT mandated to retain the mother and newborn for a minimum of five days.

I live in Louisiana. I had a healthy, happy baby boy 5.5 yrs ago (took 24mg of Subutex the entire pregnancy). My son and I were released after two days...without any issues. We probably would have had an even shorter stay if my delivery was vaginal.

I can't remember the name of the test, but the nurses begin scoring your baby for NAS immediately after birth. I believe they repeat this test a couple times everyday.

The SMARTEST thing for pregnant Sub women to do is to:
- Become there own advocate
- Research, research, research
- Be completely upfront with your Sub doc & OB
- Familiruze yourself with the your delivery hospital & its birthing staff before that special day
- Team up with your OB to have a birth plan in place (medications, precautions for possible outcomes)
- TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!! (The healthier, happier, and calmer you are...the happier/healthier your baby will be)