It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Foot surgery
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

New to the forum. After being on Suboxone for 3 1/2 years, I have finally weaned down to 1.25 mgs a day. I am scheduled for surgery on the 24th. Is my dose low enough that if I need pain meds, they will work? I'm okay with stopping my dose 48 hours prior to surgery if that helps.
I appreciate any and all responses.

Post subject: Re: Foot surgery
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

NovemberRain wrote:
New to the forum. After being on Suboxone for 3 1/2 years, I have finally weaned down to 1.25 mgs a day. I am scheduled for surgery on the 24th. Is my dose low enough that if I need pain meds, they will work? I'm okay with stopping my dose 48 hours prior to surgery if that helps.
I appreciate any and all responses.

Hello, NovemberRain- and welcome to the forum! :)

Okay- by looking at the calendar- the 24 th is on Friday...

My advice to you would be: Try to get as low as you can possibly get on the sub- so that
you can (hopefully) get better pain relief from whatever you will be given in the hospital for
pain relief... Have you discussed/asked your surgeon what s/he will be giving you for post-op
pain? Does your surgeon know that you are on sub? This info would help...

Also- if you have not already done so- I would get my sub doc and my surgeon to have some
kind of conversation- to try to get them on the "same page"... I did this with my recent gall
bladder surgery- with decent results. Actually- I do have a thread on here about it. If you have
any questions- please feel free to PM me.

Although I was only given hydrocodone/acetaminophen (generic Norco) for my post-op pain,
I did need to add 400 mg of ibuprofen (generic Advil) to that combo- for max pain relief...
After I had gone through 30 generic Norcos within only 3 days, I went right back on my Suboxone
with no problem- and, I had discovered that the sub had actually taken care of my post-op pain
A LOT better than the generic Norcos had done- but still needed the ibuprofen.

Well, I hope that this helps you. And, I'm sure that others will come along with their advice/
experiences, too.

Good Luck,

-ex-

Post subject: Low Dose
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:16 pm 

I would just like to add that there has been a great deal of discussion about surgery and Suboxone. Go to that section and read some of the posts. It may answer all your questions.

And what Ex told you is about right. Ideally, it would be great to be off of the Sub at least 3 days prior, but then you'd be in w/d.

For me at 1mg it took just about a week for me to feel the pain meds. But you don't have to feel them to have them work.

You should be okay no matter which way you go. And I too went back on Sub fairly quickly after my surgery.