It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:04 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Ok so I get my Subutex from my doc every month and yes every month, I get it a few days earlier and as long as my insurance accepts it, the Walgreens Pharamcists have had no problem filling it. I am talking 2-4 days early.

So I drop my script off and of course it isn't one of the good old pharmacists but some new guy. He tells me that the DEA has said I am misusing my subutex because I have gotten June and July's orders 3 days earlier!!

This pharmacist tells me that I should have some left !! Ok so I guess I should have some left but my doc knows that sometimes I use more depending on my stress and pains level. So even though I am not early for this month, are they able to penalize me for my current order?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have run into this exact same problem when I was filling my DOC. Go to a different Walgreens, or come back later when a different pharmacist is there. If that doesn't work you'll probably just have to wait it out unfortunately. I always wonder, shen I hear a story like this, why it was so easy for me to get my painkillers early, but suboxone??? OH HELL NO!

Next, I noticed that you said "my doc knows that sometimes I use more depending on my stress and pains level." I'll bite for the pain reason....but stress??? That is kind of an addictive behavior in my opinion. Taking a pill because you are stressed. I am not trying to criticize here, please know that. I am just trying to help.

In the beginning of my treatment I went through the same feeling. I even have a thread about it under "dosing discussion" called "feeling like dosing". It was a left over behavior from when I was actively using. Whenever I got stressed, I popped a few more percocets, or vic's, or whatever I had. And voila! No more stress. I had to find new ways to cope with that. It's hard to get away from the "pill equals reward" thought process. I had to consciously remind myself this every.single.time. Now, It doesn't even cross my mind to "dose" when I am stressed. When I am in pain....that's a whole other ball game. My doctor recently added a dose to my dosing schedule for that very same reason, so I completely understand.

I hope that none of this came across as hateful. I've reread it a few times, and I dont' think it did. I really really just want to help anyone in anyway that I can. Hope you got the point I was trying to make. Have a great day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I haven't ran into this with the subs fortunately, because I'm actually using less than I'm prescribed so I have some left over anyway and I just pick it up on the day it's due. I ALWAYS picked my norcos or hydros up early though! Every month when my insurance would pay, usually 2-3 days before, and I NEVER had a problem either! I just think that the sub stigma is greater with the DEA and the pharmacies than it is with pain pills. It's a lot easier by far to get a script for anything you want from pretty much any dr., but it's harder to find a sub doc, and it's so much more expensive. Crazy how much easier it was for most of us to get our meds early when most of us were abusing them, but so much different with the suboxone!

Since you're out now early this month, you may take Goingstrongs adivice and either use a different Walgreens, or try and go back when one of the other pharmacists is there.

I do understand what she was saying about dosing for stress too and I don't think she was trying to come off as rude or get on you in anyway. For the first month I was prescribed the subs (which I've only been on them for 2 months now), I'd get stressed out and take a little more sub because that's what I was used to doing with my norcos. When I was in active addiction, yep, everytime I'd feel stressed or anxious, I'd pop an extra pill or two. I had those same feelings for awhile once I started the sub so I'd dose whenever I felt I "needed" to. I learned pretty quickly that I didn't need to do that. It doesn't make me feel a bit different to dose with extra sub, so now I don't do that. It's actually just a waste of sub and if you're dosing for those reasons, pill=reward, then you'll keep running out early and you'll keep having these issues with the pharmacy and you definitely don't want to be "red-flagged" and have them watching you everytime you pick up early.

Now, if you're having additional pain and dosing for that, that's completely understandable, but you may need to talk to your dr. about it. Maybe he can up your dose a little so that you'll have extra on hand for that reason. I know Goingstrong was nervous about talking to her dr. about upping her dose and anyone would be, but she did and it worked out in her favor. I just think if your doc knows that you're having extra pain on some days and he's fine with you picking up your script a few days early, he'd be willing to write your script for a little more for those days then you wouldn't have to worry about getting watched by the DEA and/or the pharmacy because of the stigma attached to suboxone.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, but I really think you should speak with your doc, tell him what happened and let him know that it concerns you and see if he can up your dose a little if you really need it for pain. If not, don't dose for stress or anxiety reasons, just take your sub as prescribed. You really don't wanna have to deal with the pharmacist getting on your case or raising any issues for you later if you have to keep picking up early.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you to both of you for the honesty and you are right, I do take one for stress or to be more honest, my wife holds on to the pills and gives me my dose every day. Yes, I end up asking for a half more 6-7 times a month so there is my reason my script runs out.

Now the Walgreens says that because they gave me 3 pills on Sunday that I cannot get the script back and have to wait until this Walgreens gets the pills in. Not any other Walgreens...

I may have to just go to the doc again and have him void that RX and get a new one.

yea I usually have these two older pharmacists that would fill my script every month and they could care less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't know how that works since they did give you 3 strips, now they don't have the rest. I don't know, other than doing what you said and having your doctor void the script, but be sure to let him know that they did give you 3. I'd still talk to him about maybe giving you 3 or 4 more strips a month so that you don't have to worry about running out early if he already knows that you're taking a little extra on those occasions. That would clear it all up and you shouldn't have to worry about ever picking up your script 3 days early again and no more crap from the pharmacy. Those two pharmacist who don't care, may not be there every month and then you'll run into this again.

Let us know what you end up doing and what you're doc says if you ask him about that. He should be understanding. Good Luck, and keep us posted! Thanks for being honest with us as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am totally on board with everything that InvisibleShadow just said so I wont repeat everything....Just suffice to say that you should definitely talk to your doctor about a few more strips a month. It's not like you are asking for thrity. He should be totally ok with that. My doctor added a half a pill a day. So that was 15 more a month.

I totally understand the dosing for stress, like I said earlier. The fact that you recognize it in yourself, and are trying to beat it, is great! You will get there. It's kind of like retraining your brain in a way. It's hard at first because you have to consciously not take it. But you wil be surprised at just how fast your thinking changes, after doing this day in and day out. It only took about 3 weeks for this to go away for me.

I also think it's great that until you do get past this, that your wife is holding your meds for you. That's great that you have that kind of support. Just stay open with her as to this whole pill=reward thinking and she can help you....I live alone, so I had to just NOT take them. And that was HARD! But you can do it! I know you can! Keep on posting here too....I have found that it helps tremendously. I almost always get a couple of responses from other members who are oign through or have been throught the same thing. And in some small way, just knowing that, makes it a hundred times easier. That's what this forum is here for.

Keep up the good work, and let us know if there is anything else we can help you with! Have a great day!

Post subject: I got the answer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have faced the same problem. If I know it will be more than one day early, I just go to a different pharmacy (company). When you go to Walgreens, they are looming at their records of when you picked it up last, NOT the databases. It is NOT illegal to get it early since your docter wrote a dated script for the day you present the script..the problem is that the insurance may not pay it....but you know what. They usually do! It is not illegal to use 2 different pharmacys as long as you are not doc shopping of double dipping..for example...if the Kroger pharmacy is out of suboxone, I grab the script and go to CVS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

you can fill a prescription at any walgreens location as long as they have the script in their system. if one is out and the one on the otherside of town has them in stock you usually can go fill it there. have had to do it a few times where i live; however, they probably marked your file because of your early fills the pasr few months.