It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had a lovely suprise yesterday. When I got to work, my boss told me that a friend had given her a bunch of free tickets to the opening night show of Mary Poppins (the Broadway Musical version). My boss offered to go to my house, pick up my daughter and meet me back at work so we could all take the bus downtown and see the show.

We ended up with a nice size group of girls of all ages - four adults and eight kids. Our seats were great - on the floor about 10 rows from the stage - and the show was fantastic. The kids were bouncing up and down on the edge of their seats during the exciting parts. Mary Poppins flew in on a wire with her umbrella, there were tons of cool lighting effects, the song & dance numbers were pretty spectacular, the theater itself was gorgeous - it was just top notch all around.

I feel so lucky to live in a beautiful city with so many cool things going on. Even so, this was an extra-special treat as a production like this would be way out of my budget. All of us had a good time and we all had big goofy grins plastered on our faces the whole time.

There was something strange that I noticed though. During the intermission I took the girls to the bathroom. I was waiting by the sinks for them to come out so I could help with washing up. As I stood there, I was noticing something - sour face after sour face passing me by. These were older ladies, middle aged ladies, youngish ladies. They all had beautiful clothes on, nice hair-dos, made-up faces, nice shoes, jewelry...they all looked well-cared-for. And they all just had bitter, sour looks on their faces. I couldn't believe it. I smiled and said hello, great show, isn't this fun. They wouldn't be moved.

I won't pretend to know what was going on inside those ladies heads or hearts. That's not for me to judge. It just got me to thinking, is all. There I was, poor as a church mouse and feeling as lucky as a girl who just won the lottery, happy as can be and I was surrounded by people who appeared to have much more than me on a material level...but they all seemed so unhappy.

And I realized that I AM lucky. I might be broke right now, but I have so much love in my life. I have been to hell and back and that trip has made me realize what really matters. I know for a fact that I NEVER want to lose sight of the important things. I don't want to take what I have for granted. I don't want to cultivate the attitude that what I have isn't enough. I don't want to lose my sense of wonder at all the magic life has to offer.

So I am making this thread as a place where I can practice gratitude. I want to get back into the habit of actively cultivating the feeling of being thankful for the blessings in my life. There is something about us humans that seems to draw us toward noticing when things are bad or when they go wrong, so much more strongly than when they are good. But I know from past experience that just a little effort in this direction can make a HUGE difference in the way we see the world.

Sure, it may seem a little corny - writing down five things each day that I'm grateful for...or five things that made me smile. Maybe it's a bit contrived. Or maybe it's just the little ritual that we all need to change the focus of our mind's eye. You'll never know until you try!

I invite you all to participate in this exercise with me. You can post your five things here, or you can make your own five things thread. Whatever makes you happy :D . I'm going to commit to writing down five things a day for the next 30 days, and I will also document any changes in attitude or affect that this produces. I hope you'll join in!

My first list will be in the next post.

-Jack Kornfield

Last edited by Diary of a Quitter on Sat May 14, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Five things I am grateful for today:

1. The sight of piles of cherry-blossom petals all along the sidewalks like pink snow-drifts.

2. My friend agreeing to work with me on a new blog project.

3. Dark chocolate with sea salt and roasted almonds.

4. Payday!

5. My husband let me sleep in while he took the kiddo to school this morning.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What a great, positive thread to start! Here's 5 things I am grateful for:

1 - I found a job!!!! And it only took about 3 months.

2 - My husband truly knows me and understands who I am.

3 - I made it alive and still in recovery through another birthday this week.

4 - Spring is FINALLY fucking here in Michigan, albeit just barely.

5 - And under the simple things in life - I still have a roof over my head.

Happy days are here again!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Happy Birthday Hatmaker!! You are a Taurus just like me :D

And I said this on your other thread, but I'll say it again - Congrats!!!! That is such great news. I hope your new job brings you tons of satisfaction.

Edited because I can't spell Taurus.

-Jack Kornfield

Last edited by Diary of a Quitter on Sat May 14, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[b][i]

I posted to this reply and some how lost it after I was finished.
Any idea how I can find it?
I hope I can remember what I said.

I'm a tauras as well and Happy Birthday to all. I'll be very old tomorrow...LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I tried to find your post cajunmeme, but I don't see it anywhere. That's too bad..I hope you can recreate it. I'd love to hear what you're grateful for today.

Happy birthday to you too!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[b][i]
I love this topic and hopefully don't loose it again.
I have lots of things to be thankful for.

Thanks for the Birthday wish. I'm getting so darn old.

1.I'm thankful for where I'am today. This time last month I didn't know what was going to become of me.

2. I'm grateful for my grandson.He's 13 still wants to hang out with his MeMe every weekend.

3.I'm grateful for my husband who has been so supportive. God knows he had enogh reasons to walk.

4. I'm grateful I can do my daily task without "thinking" I need a pill to do.

5. I'm grateful that God has hung in there with me as well.

I'm also so grateful that I'm in a mental and physical better place than i was in.

I know that's 6 but that's my top gratefuls for today.

I use to journal all the time and it was great theraphy for me. I would always make my list of things I was grateful for.

This is a great idea. It's so easy to forget to be grateful for the things we have in our life.

Post subject: And me
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

1. My wonderful daughter that cares for me daily with a smile.

2. My grandsons that make me so proud because they are intelligent, well mannered and affectionate.

3. My Suboxone doctor for being supportive during my recent amputation.

4. My smooth transition back to Subs after so many narcotics during my surgery.

5. My Lord God for giving me strength & courage.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:11 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

1. I have a husband I adore and he does everything for me and our children.
2. My gorgeous garden
3. I have a job that I love.
4. My mama made it through her surgery last night and is being well cared for.
5. I'm sober. I'm healthy....did I mention I'm sober!?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Happy Birthday to all you Birthday Ladies!!!

HatMaker, AWESOME!!! You found a job!! I'm very happy for you dude!! BTW, I'm going to use your thing about spring in my 5 things, except I won't say Michigan!!

#1---I am so crazy happy for where I am today. I never thought I would be drug free. Thank you God.

#2---I am so thankful to be married to my incredible wife. She is my hero. She is my best friend. She is my heart and soul.

#3---I am completely thankful for the wonderful child that God has blessed my wife and I with. She brings me joy on a daily basis. She makes me laugh harder than I ever thought possible with the silly things she does.

#4---I am very thankful for the awesome friends that I have.

#5---I LOVE spring, so thank goodness spring is here. I quit Suboxone last spring knowing that spring time is my favorite time of year and that the nice weather would help me to get through my wd. Less than 3 weeks away from my 1 year anniversary!!

Post subject: Saturday Things
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

1. My sweet, sweet man gave me a post-work foot rub tonight.

2. Chicken-apple-walnut salad and Organic Blood-Orange soda from Safeway for lunch today.

3. The ability to bring a smile to a cranky toddler's face with the simple gift of a sticker.

4. My friend invited my daughter for a sleepover, giving me an unexpected night off from parenting duty.

5. A good long soak in a piping hot bath scented with jasmine, sandalwood and patchouli oils.

I had a lovely day at work today and I've enjoyed reading everyone's contributions to this thread. Let's make it an ongoing thing!

I love you guys :oops:

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Crap, I didn't realize that we were doing this for the next 30 days. I just now read the original post and now I know what I have gotten myself into. OK, better take my Dunce cap off and put my thinking cap on!!

#1---I am thankful for the smell of freshly cut grass.

#2---I am thankful for Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham....otherwise known as Led Zeppelin!

#3---I am so incredibly grateful and thankful for this website and all the amazing, wonderful, kind and sincere people who make up it's user base!! You guys Rock!!

#4---I am thankful for ham sandwiches with lettuce and mayo, a few potato chips, a handful of carrots and a Coke. Yeah, I'm hungry.....I hope my wife gets home soon so she can make me a sandwich, I'm too dang lazy to do it myself!!

#5---I am thankful that God decided to have women bear children instead of men.

I LOVE this thread and the idea behind it. It's so easy for us to get lost in what we don't have and to completely lose sight of all the things we do have. I am going to make every attempt at participating in this thread for at least the next 30 days.

Honestly, reading the Top 5 from other members is one of my favorite parts. It gets me out of me and allows me to almost look through another set of eyes and I think that's great.

Post subject: Sunday Things
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Courier New]1. I found a new hair product that tamed my crazy old frizz; my hair is now smooth and shiny. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!

2. Today I had a few quiet hours at home...all by myself. Woo-hoo!

3. My mother-outlaw is gifting me a gym membership so I can swim and do water aerobics.

4. Hummingbirds! In my back yard!

5. My lovely new birthday Fuscia hanging on the back porch is in full bloom.

BONUS - I am thankful that you all are joining in on this gratitude practice with me :D [/font]

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Five more things I'm thankful for:

1 - I just found another "new" second cousin we didn't know we had.

2 - My alone times early in the morning, just me, my coffee, and one of my dogs next to me.

3 - My soap opera is finally showing some action again! LOL

4 - My mom is coming here to visit for the first time in about 6-7 years (although I'm honestly not sure exactly HOW thankful I am for this - we'll see how it goes when she gets here - you know how mothers can sometimes be)

And finally (5) - even though I have my chronic pain conditions, I'm EXTREMELY grateful that I can walk, talk, see, etc. I mustn't take these things for granted and I think I have before now.

Diary - thanks for this. I hate to admit it, but I don't really stop to think about what I'm grateful for nearly often enough. This gives me an opportunity to do just that and to get the focus off the bullshit negative crap that I sometimes bitch about. SO, REALLY, THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So i'm a bit late joining in but I read all your awesome entries tonight and was reminded how making a daily gratitude list can help me have a more positive outlook on life and to be thankful for my recovery.

1. I am thankful that I put a stop to my last relapse quickly and decided to try buprenorphine maintenance. After 20 years of
this back an forth bullshit it was time to try something new.

2. I am incredibly thankful that my hmo has an awesome chemical dependency program that offers a bupe maintenance
program which includes dr visits, weekly group (first 6 months), and one on one counseling.

3. I am thankful for emotional and financial stability.

4. I'm thankful for my supportive family and my dog who sticks with me no matter what.

5. I'm thankful for mango chutney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

#1---I am thankful for everyone who is participating in this thread. LOVE reading your thoughts!!

#2---I love dogs. The unconditional love is fantastic. I love their soft fur and I love how they're stupid enough to keep chasing that ball I throw over and over again.

#3---I am totally grateful for Reese's Peanut Cups, the little one's, straight out of the freezer.

#4---I'm very happy that I drive a car that starts every morning. Back when I was a teenager and driving a piece of junk around, it was a crap-shoot on whether that thing would start on any given morning.

#5---I love crisp October nights when there is not a cloud in the sky, I star gaze and I am continually amazed at this universe of ours that is filled with so many wonders, so many magnificent structures and it's seemingly endless....

Post subject: Monday Monday...
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Everyone - I have to say that reading this thread and writing in this thead every day makes me happy.

1. My daughter has started showing more of an interest in music lately and we've been spending time listening or watching music videos together. We sing and dance and act silly and it's very healing. I love finding new ways to connect with her.

2. A little extra money arrived today & I get to spend a bit of it on myself (haircut? new shoes? so hard to decide!)

3. I'm so thankful for yoga & how it makes me feel physically and mentally.

4. Coffee with cream and brown sugar.

5. Wellbutrin - goodbye awful depression. I didn't even know how bad it had gotten until it started to lift. I'm so grateful to have access to medication and healthcare in general.

Hope you all are having a lovely evening, wherever you are! xoxoxo

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to this thread I was more aware all day of the little things, and some big ones too, that I am grateful for. Of course now that I'm here making the list I can't remember a lot of them, so it's a good thing there were more than 5!

1. My bed with clean cotton sheets, a blanket, a coverlet and some afghans (in case my feet get cold in the middle of the night). Also, never underestimate the value of a good mattress.

2. Sleep. I know that if and when I taper off suboxone sleep will be an issue again, but right now I am enjoying the good sleep I am getting and I know my body appreciates it too.

3. The lovely rain we've been getting for the last couple days. I know that most of the rest of the country is sick of rain and snow, but where I live the summers are miserably hot and it is really nice to get some cool rain in the middle of May. Next week it could be 100 degrees.

4. McDonald's dollar menu fudge sundae. Vanilla soft serve ice cream with warm fudge sauce for a buck. So simple and so yum.

5. The Shiba Inu puppycam. I can feel my blood pressure go down as I watch these guys. http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba

Post subject: todays 5
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:37 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

1. Snuggles from my babies....there's nothing like an unexpected I love you, kiss or hug from a child

2. I am so grateful that my Mothers Day flowers are still gorgeous and blooming!

3. I am kid free until 3 today! Gonna crank the tunes and get some stuff done today!

4. My awesome hubby cleaned the kitchen and did the laundry last night

5. I weighed myself this am and I am down 8 pounds! Wahooooo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

1 - Wet sloppy kisses from my dog when he's thrilled to see me.

2 - My favorite resale shop and the ability to buy multiple like-new items for the retail price of one or two!

3 - Like Diary, I got some unexpected cash yesterday, which allowed me to go shopping at the favorite store I mentioned above.

4 - I saw my mom yesterday and there was NO DRAMA!

5 - Gas prices dropped by over 15 cents a gallon. YAY - finally.