It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am considering having minimal invasive surgery for my five bulged disks and disk degeneration disease and my hope is to cease taking Oxycontin (40 mg x 6 per day = 240mg per day) due to it is causing me to be tired during the day and I feel it is impacting my job long-term. At first, it was amazing to be living a pain free life but the longer I take the medication the more I want to find another option.

I’ve read that Suboxone does not cause the loss of mental clarity and extreme tiredness compared to Oxycontin.

This assumes I am not a candidate for surgery. I don’t know that I can stop taking pain medication as a permanent measure because eventually the pain will force me back on the medication.

Can I expect less side-effect in switching to Suboxone?

My goal is to have some level of pain relief without the mental degradation and tiredness caused by the Oxycontin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum, Bem,

I have two chronic pain conditions and also lived on pain meds to reduce the pain and increase my ability to function. My problem was the more pain meds I took the worse I hurt. Since stopping all of them and starting Suboxone 15 months ago, my pain is at a manageable level. It's not completely gone, but when is chronic pain ever completely gone? But keep in mind all chronic pain is different.

And no, suboxone does not interfere with mental clarity. It doesn't get you high and usually doesn't make you tired. It's more and more becoming an option for not only opiate addiction but for pain control, too.

If I may ask, are you addicted to opiate pain meds or just dependent and looking for other options?

If you're so inclined, maybe you could give us more background.

Again, welcome!

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello and Welcome!!

Yes, the suboxone is much better for mental clarity and in fact when one is one it for maintainence they do not even feel high, I don't. I was taking large amounts of several different narcotics for my several herniated disks (mainly oxycontin) and I think the suboxone does help a little, but it will not numb you up stupid like as if you were taking large doses of say oxy. I could take enough oxy and pass out, not feeling anything. That doesn't happen with suboxone for me. But it does manage my pain enough to where I can function. I am still in pain, but not chasing that crazy opiate tolerance.

Just a question....why wouldn't your pain doctor have you on 3 - 80mg oxycontin instead of 6 - 40mg oxy's? Its still 240mg time released, just cheaper at the pharmacy....just wondering.....

I hope you post back with more info so we could try to help you further....thanks.....good luck!!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First since I work with injured worker's and have seen A LOT of people undergo back surgery, make sure you have a REALLY GOOD surgeon before you let them do it. If you have to drive to another town to get the BEST surgeon then it is worth your time. There are a LOT of surgeons who will cut for the money and are terrible at it. I have even seen surgeons who cut people open and CLAIM to do work in there but when the "surgery" fails and a year or two later the patient goes for a second opinion and 2nd surgery the new surgeon realizes NOTHING was done in there. Your back can get screwed up way worse so just be careful and don't count on it resolving your pain. What is the procedure?

Yes, suboxone can work for pain and NO it doesn't impact mental clarity. In fact, I am much clearer on it than off. It doesn't resolve my pain either but it allows me to be functional. When I am having pain that is MOST severe, I am still unhappy about it, but not running to the ER either. I still go camping, and walking and cook, and clean, etc. while I am having pain.

I went from oxycontin to suboxone and didn't think it was doing much of anything for my pain because oxy is quite strong. When I went off the suboxone I realized how limited from the pain I was without the sub and went back on it. I am not pain FREE, but I also don't have to deal with being high, sleepy, stupid, and incompetent or deal with increasing tolerance either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Bem,
If I may ask, are you addicted to opiate pain meds or just dependent and looking for other options?

If you're so inclined, maybe you could give us more background.

Again, welcome!
Melissa

I would say I am most definitely addicted due to the fact I cannot stop on my own without severe withdrawal. I started taking Oxycontin after 10 years of trying other options. I had taken the maximum dosage of Tramadol, Celebrex and others to absolute no relief. I went to several surgeons asking for surgery but they declined – I think it had something to do with the protruding disks are all inward into the spinal canal. I have had several MUA’s (Manipulation under Anesthesia). Followed by 6 weeks of physical therapy combined with 6 weeks of Spine Decompression – prior to this I had tried acupuncture, multiple chiropractors, multiple pain management clinics (non-prescription medicine clinics).

I have severe pain in the lower back all day and down my right leg. Nothing helps with the pain and it lasts all day and at night. The only relief I have ever had from my pain is the Oxycontin. The relief was immediate and my tolerance was quick. I was up to 240 mg in 6 months where I have stabilized but find it hard to function at this amount. It has not impacted my job as of yet but it is starting to impact my job, my short term and long term memory, my mental ability in general plus it is just making me plain tired all the time. I am experience other issues too like numbness in the hands and arms which I never had before taking the medication.

I had to make a decision. Continue suffering the detrimental effects of the medication and live without pain OR get this stuff out of my system and once again try to deal with the pain through alternative methods. Honestly, I just want it out of me but all the Rapid Detox centers I’ve called require anywhere from 10K to 15K, cash, up-front, no financing options. I’m being told this will remove everything from my body and mind and I will walk away in 3 days completely opiate free and the worst of the withdrawal symptoms behind me and a small dose of the naltrexone for 6 months.

I did this to myself. I was a competitive power lifter since 10th grade high school and into college. I had several accidents including being crushed by 800 lbs on the squat rack. My knees and back are destroyed due to choices made when I was younger but I felt that regardless this does not mean that I should be committed to a life of pain so I started taking the Oxycontin as a last hope. Honestly, I was at my last straw. The pain was impacting my job, my marriage, my attitude, my life. I felt hopeless.

Now, I feel hopeless – just a different kind of hopeless. Every time I try to stop the Oxycontin I fail miserably. And I am not someone who is use to or deals with failure in a good way. I think it is ultimately leading to depression and again starting to impact my job, my marriage, my attitude, my life.

I know that I have no choice but to go off this medication and deal with the pain. It is a double edged sword in that once I stop the medication I will be in pain, again. I’m dreading this but I also dread my circumstance of being addicted to something I can’t stop and want to stop

At the time when I started the medication I thought I had made the best choice and to be honest I am glad to have had this brief period of time without pain.

I’m talking to one company right now that might be willing to work out a payment plan on the Rapid Detox program. However, $12,500.00 is a LOT of money and that is why I was hoping to get some positive feedback from this forum that it actually does work and maybe someone who has gone through rapid detox and can verify that it alleviated all the withdrawal symptoms.

One key difference, Suboxone is covered on my insurance, rapid detoxification is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BigRed wrote:
Hello and Welcome!!

Just a question....why wouldn't your pain doctor have you on 3 - 80mg oxycontin instead of 6 - 40mg oxy's? Its still 240mg time released, just cheaper at the pharmacy....just wondering.....

I hope you post back with more info so we could try to help you further....thanks.....good luck!!

Honestly I don’t know, he has stated on a few occasions that it is better to just stay with the same dosage and increase it rather than going up on the amount. That was his logic.

Next, my copay is $30.00 for name brand so I certainly cannot complain.

If I go with Rapid Detox option I’m paying $12,500.00 to save $30.00? Most of you probably think I’m crazy at this point and maybe I am? Maybe I can justify it by the fact that I might be saving myself thousands of dollars in future medical costs? I’ve been told the Oxy causes organ problems, heart issues, et cetera.

Do you guys think I’m nuts for doing this? I’m basically putting myself back into pain so I can reclaim my brain and function at a normal level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 pm 
Well, i'll be honest. I cant really relate to the pain problem however the addiction part i can. Suboxone will get you back on your feet and you will be able too deal with the pain rather than kill the pain. As far as the rapid detox, you will be opiate free after the procedure but staying opiate free is where the work comes in. Im not a doctor nor an expert. Simply giving my opinion and some of my own experience. Im 10 months clean thanks to suboxone. It has changed my life completely. I feel 100% clear headed and functionable. I was hooked on pretty much any opiate but my DOC was methadone. Hope this is somewhat helpful. Have a great day!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

lifesaver wrote:
Well, i'll be honest. I cant really relate to the pain problem however the addiction part i can. Suboxone will get you back on your feet and you will be able too deal with the pain rather than kill the pain. As far as the rapid detox, you will be opiate free after the procedure but staying opiate free is where the work comes in. Im not a doctor nor an expert. Simply giving my opinion and some of my own experience. Im 10 months clean thanks to suboxone. It has changed my life completely. I feel 100% clear headed and functionable. I was hooked on pretty much any opiate but my DOC was methadone. Hope this is somewhat helpful. Have a great day!!

Yes, it is helpful. I'm actually considering this option being the medicine is covered on my insurance whereas the rapid detox centers want cash up-front, no financing options, no insurance.

Honestly I don't understand how people afford to drop down 12,500.00 or one I called was 27,000.00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you are concerned at this point about your job and mental clarity, I do NOT think rapid detox will be helpful to you. AFTER the physical withdrawal the PAWS set in and that screws up your mental clarity AND your energy just as bad. The smoothest transition you could make would be the suboxone. Your function is likely to increase and it will give you some time to work on your pain issues, figure out where you are with them off the oxy, and keep your job in line. You could work on tapering the sub if you wanted after that but really with pain issues, you may wish to stay on suboxone forever. That is what I am doing and life is livable.

From what I understand with a degenerative problem the surgeons know you are in pain but the surgeries don't tend to work or eliminate the pain so they don't want to do them. When I HAVE seen people have surgery for this, they fuse a couple discs where they have lost disc space due to the degeneration. Then, when they fuse a couple discs, it places more pressure on the surrounding discs. So then you lose disc space at the next level. Then they have to fuse that. Eventually, they fuse half the back and the person is still in pain and have to figure out what their options are for living with pain. By then they are usually severely dependent or addicted to the narcotics.

Now, what Melissa was trying to ask about addiction versus dependency is this.

Dependency means that you will withdraw if you decrease your dose too quickly. This is an expected side effect of opiate use. Addiction refers to the behaviors people engage in to obtain the drug. Do you doctor shop? Steal? Take it to get high instead of just for pain? How much time to you spend getting, using, and finding a means to get more of the drug? If you are just taking what the doc prescribes and taking it as prescribed and find when you try to stop taking it you get withdrawals then this is really dependency, not addiction.

Suboxone WILL cause dependency. It does not tend to be addictive. You don't generally need more to achieve the same effect. If you stop the suboxone, you WILL have withdrawal. It does not get you high like the other drugs so you will have your mental clarity along with some constipation :) Nothing you aren't used to already I am sure.

Doctors are becoming increasingly accepting of using the suboxone for pain. But you will have a hard time getting it off label for that. I think you can find someone to prescribe it, but it will have to be a suboxone provider. Otherwise, you could just tell your surgeon or whoever prescribes now that they can prescribe off label for pain and you want to try it. Melissa posted here somewhere the DEA letter authorizing docs to do this without the suboxone classes. If you bring that to him he may be willing to try.

Take care.
Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the reply. To properly answer the question I do not doctor shop or spend extra time looking for medication. I take my medication as prescribed and I spend no more than the $30.00 per month for the prescription. I do suffer withdrawal if I taper. I take the medication to feel better from the perspective of getting rid of my back pain. I am to that point where I do not want to feel the pain, at all and had reached a point in my life where I decided that I never want to live in pain again and though that I could manage the Oxycontin but instead I find it managing me being I cannot take less because I feel bad and the amount I take, for the most part, alleviates the pain. There are some days where 240mg does not alleviate the pain and on those days I just suffer but they are far and few between compared to my life before Oxy. Honestly, I don't know what to do now - if I go off the medication then I am looking at dealing with a life of pain although somewhat limited by the Suboxone. If I stay on the medication I risk becoming a zombie but pain free possibly losing my job in the process. I think it is time to make a committment to deal with the pain and switch to the suboxone. Honestly, I would rather do the rapid detox and get EVERYTHING out of my system and deal with PAWS which I understand is short-term and I thought was only if you relapsed? However, being I don't have an extra 12K laying around it is sounding like Suboxone is my only choice so I'm going from one addiction straight to another addiction. The drug companies must be loving this or people like me at this point. This really just sucks.

Jackcrack wrote:
If you are concerned at this point about your job and mental clarity, I do NOT think rapid detox will be helpful to you. AFTER the physical withdrawal the PAWS set in and that screws up your mental clarity AND your energy just as bad. The smoothest transition you could make would be the suboxone. Your function is likely to increase and it will give you some time to work on your pain issues, figure out where you are with them off the oxy, and keep your job in line. You could work on tapering the sub if you wanted after that but really with pain issues, you may wish to stay on suboxone forever. That is what I am doing and life is livable.

From what I understand with a degenerative problem the surgeons know you are in pain but the surgeries don't tend to work or eliminate the pain so they don't want to do them. When I HAVE seen people have surgery for this, they fuse a couple discs where they have lost disc space due to the degeneration. Then, when they fuse a couple discs, it places more pressure on the surrounding discs. So then you lose disc space at the next level. Then they have to fuse that. Eventually, they fuse half the back and the person is still in pain and have to figure out what their options are for living with pain. By then they are usually severely dependent or addicted to the narcotics.

Dependency means that you will withdraw if you decrease your dose too quickly. This is an expected side effect of opiate use. Addiction refers to the behaviors people engage in to obtain the drug. Do you doctor shop? Steal? Take it to get high instead of just for pain? How much time to you spend getting, using, and finding a means to get more of the drug? If you are just taking what the doc prescribes and taking it as prescribed and find when you try to stop taking it you get withdrawals then this is really dependency, not addiction.

Suboxone WILL cause dependency. It does not tend to be addictive. You don't generally need more to achieve the same effect. If you stop the suboxone, you WILL have withdrawal. It does not get you high like the other drugs so you will have your mental clarity along with some constipation :) Nothing you aren't used to already I am sure.

Doctors are becoming increasingly accepting of using the suboxone for pain. But you will have a hard time getting it off label for that. I think you can find someone to prescribe it, but it will have to be a suboxone provider. Otherwise, you could just tell your surgeon or whoever prescribes now that they can prescribe off label for pain and you want to try it. Melissa posted here somewhere the DEA letter authorizing docs to do this without the suboxone classes. If you bring that to him he may be willing to try.

Take care.
Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't think my doctor should be an issue at this point being my primary objective for taking the suboxone stated to him will be to stop taking the oxycontin. I know he prescribes it to others so I don't think it would be an issue - I just have to mentally prepare myself for the pain.

Jackcrack wrote:

Take care.
Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi bem,

Thanks for giving us more background on yourself. It's really quite helpful. From your description it sounds like you are dependent only and NOT an addict.

It sounds like you've almost decided to take the suboxone. Just remember if for any reason you don't like it, you can always review the situation again. It also sounds pretty clear that you're just fed up with the oxy messing with your head and possibly threatening your job. From that perspective I think you'd do well and be pretty happy with the suboxone. Disclaimer - I'm not a doctor or professional, just an addict with daily pain issues.

Even though any doctor can prescribe suboxone for pain without the special suboxone license, you may find a hard time finding someone who will do that. You can always ask your pain doc(s) first and if they won't, maybe they know a subox doc they can refer you to. If not, be sure to check out the suboxone doctor-patient matching services on NAABT.com (or org?) and suboxone.com. I found my current doc that way.

Good luck, keep us posted and let us know what you decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If your current doc prescribes it then you are right, there shouldn't be a problem there. I can understand being ready to be pain free. I have 2 chronic medical conditions and the first is what led to my addiction to begin with. My feelings at the time were that I have one life and I didn't want to live it in pain and shouldn't have to have pain. I thought the doctors should prescribe enough meds so I didn't have to. Since I wasn't willing to keep asking all the time, I supplemented my scripts with oxycontin off the street and it became very out of control.

What I have realized over time is that pain killers are a catch 22. The docs know they can prescribe me enough so I don't feel pain, but they will have to just continuously increase the dose because all people will develop tolerance over time when taken regularly. I think they also know that eventually people reach the point where YOU are now. It is a trade off. You can take enough to alleviate ALL of your pain which keeps you physically functional, but you start to lose other parts of you such as the free will (since you will go into withdrawal if you stop or forget it or lose it) and now your mental faculties are being lost, they can mask your emotions and cause aggitation, etc. etc. So you become less functional in a sense too. At some point everyone has to make a choice on what they can live with or the lesser of the two evils. I wish more doctors would discuss this up front when they begin treating people for chronic pain.

What I have learned is that life is all about pain whether mental or physical and there is no way I will ever totally escape either in my life. Like you, it becomes a search for maximizing function and minimizing side effects. I do not feel my pain is tolerable without ANYTHING. Unlike you, I CAN'T do painkillers because I am an addict and will abuse them and once I start I cannot stop them (makes the decision a lot easier to me). The suboxone minimizes the pain and increases my function. This is not to say there aren't days when I am miserable and cry and convince myself it would be better to be dead than live like this. BUT those days are few and far between because for the most part I am functional with the pain. I am working on learning other techniques to manage the pain and my therapist says meditation has been proven to work for pain and delay the body's reaction to it therefore decreasing the amount of pain experienced. When I say proven, I don't mean like a placebo, I mean scientifically proven when one practices it over time because it causes changes in the brain.

The good news for you is that you don't sound like an addict so taking oxycontin continues to be an option for you. Although suboxone still causes dependency, it may be a good option for you because there are fewer negative side effects (specifically the ones bothering you now). It IS easier to withdraw from suboxone than from oxycontin so if you go on the suboxone and decide you don't like it, you can either go back on the oxycontin OR you can get off of ALL of it. You will be in the same situation your are now but with fewer withdrawal symptoms ahead of you. Good luck making your decision. It is difficult to face such choices and you will feel so much better once the decision has been made.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I look at chronic pain the same way Jackcrack does. It's about maximizing functioning and minimizing pain and side effects. And suboxone does that for me more than any other option available.

Jackcrack - you described difficult emotions and thoughts quite appropriately. Well said!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow. You put into words what I was trying to say all along. I was of the exact same thought, “Why should I have to live my life this way? – If there are medications to alleviate my pain then I should take them and have a quality of life. And, I did for a few months, I felt great. I had energy, I had no pain, but things really started to turn I guess about the 6 month mark. I knew then that I needed to get off the medication and that this was not a good long term direction but I made excuses. I kept telling myself that I could deal with the side effects and “fight it”. That I needed the medication to live without pain and I thought back to the days when I was in pain and hated life. Now, I almost welcome the pain but I know that within a few months of being in pain I will welcome the pain relief. Therein is the sadness of the situation. I never understood what people meant when they talked about being dependent on a medication or some of the people who warned me about taking the Oxycontin and that I would become addicted physically and mentally. At the time I thought, okay – so what? What if I become addicted as long as I am no longer in pain that is all I care about – right? Maybe I am abusing the medication? I could take less. I mean, I’m 220 lbs and a former power lifter taking 240 mg of Oxycontin but why don’t I just reduce that amount and take ½? Honestly, I’ve tried and once I start to feel any pain I use that as an excuse to take more and on really bad days I’ve taken upwards of 9 pills but I taper down by one or two pills on the days I’m in lesser pain so that I always meet my 30 day appointment schedule. In over a year of taking the medication I have stuck to a 30 day refill program. Some days I simply deal with the additional pain and just take 2-3 Clonazepam (Prescription) @ 2mg each. One of the side-effects of the pain is it makes me extremely anxious and the Oxycontin makes it hard for me to sleep sometimes so I find myself taking on average 4mg of Clonazepam each night just to sleep.
Honestly, I want to be free from it all. I know this sounds crazy but I want to feel like myself again pain and all but at least I will have my functioning brain back. I make a living using my mind and I feel like I’m losing myself. I use to work out 6 days per week now I work out zero days per week. I use to be active, go to the movies, go to eat, travel – now I go to work, come home, and vegetate on the couch. I barely make it through work most days.
I sure hope the Suboxone works – thanks for all the help.

Jackcrack wrote:
If your current doc prescribes it then you are right, there shouldn't be a problem there. I can understand being ready to be pain free. I have 2 chronic medical conditions and the first is what led to my addiction to begin with. My feelings at the time were that I have one life and I didn't want to live it in pain and shouldn't have to have pain. I thought the doctors should prescribe enough meds so I didn't have to. Since I wasn't willing to keep asking all the time, I supplemented my scripts with oxycontin off the street and it became very out of control.

What I have realized over time is that pain killers are a catch 22. The docs know they can prescribe me enough so I don't feel pain, but they will have to just continuously increase the dose because all people will develop tolerance over time when taken regularly. I think they also know that eventually people reach the point where YOU are now. It is a trade off. You can take enough to alleviate ALL of your pain which keeps you physically functional, but you start to lose other parts of you such as the free will (since you will go into withdrawal if you stop or forget it or lose it) and now your mental faculties are being lost, they can mask your emotions and cause aggitation, etc. etc. So you become less functional in a sense too. At some point everyone has to make a choice on what they can live with or the lesser of the two evils. I wish more doctors would discuss this up front when they begin treating people for chronic pain.

What I have learned is that life is all about pain whether mental or physical and there is no way I will ever totally escape either in my life. Like you, it becomes a search for maximizing function and minimizing side effects. I do not feel my pain is tolerable without ANYTHING. Unlike you, I CAN'T do painkillers because I am an addict and will abuse them and once I start I cannot stop them (makes the decision a lot easier to me). The suboxone minimizes the pain and increases my function. This is not to say there aren't days when I am miserable and cry and convince myself it would be better to be dead than live like this. BUT those days are few and far between because for the most part I am functional with the pain. I am working on learning other techniques to manage the pain and my therapist says meditation has been proven to work for pain and delay the body's reaction to it therefore decreasing the amount of pain experienced. When I say proven, I don't mean like a placebo, I mean scientifically proven when one practices it over time because it causes changes in the brain.

The good news for you is that you don't sound like an addict so taking oxycontin continues to be an option for you. Although suboxone still causes dependency, it may be a good option for you because there are fewer negative side effects (specifically the ones bothering you now). It IS easier to withdraw from suboxone than from oxycontin so if you go on the suboxone and decide you don't like it, you can either go back on the oxycontin OR you can get off of ALL of it. You will be in the same situation your are now but with fewer withdrawal symptoms ahead of you. Good luck making your decision. It is difficult to face such choices and you will feel so much better once the decision has been made.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am glad I could be of some help. It also sounds like you have made your decision and I think it is a great decision. I hope you do really well and I also hope you will keep us posted on how you are feeling and doing.

Take Care!

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yours is such a complex and difficult problem. It is also one that I have seen, read about, heard about etc., many times over. It's bad enough having to deal with dependence and the potential of addiction but when real, true, honest to goodness pain is tossed in, it only makes everything that much harder to deal with.

I just wanted to offer that I have yet to find someone that has undergone a rapid detox who has said that it was worth the money, let alone worked well. From everything I have read, the people who have shelled out the $$$ to get this done say it was a very trying to very miserable experience. The relapse rate also seems to be just as high as with any other method. Most addiction treatment is expensive but I can't imagine having to endure a rather painful withdrawal that costs $12,000 plus dollars only to potentially relapse back to the drugs again anyway.

It seems like you may already be shying away from a rapid detox. If not, I would strongly urge you to consider other options as I don't think you'll have any better of an experience than the many others I have read about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, not to worry - I made my decision. I went to my doctor yesterday and he agreed that I need to be on Suboxone. He prescribed me 8mg but 1/2 dose twice per day for now and we regroup on Friday of this week. He also prescribed Clonidine .2mg (1 4x per day) and Hydroxyzine Pamoate 50mg (1 3x per day). The first one helps with nausea the second helps with other withdrawal symptoms. I started the Suboxone this morning. I have to say, it has not done anything for the "watering eyes". My last dose was yesterday morning so I was into withdrawal within 12 hours but waited longer. Right now I would have to say I don't feel great but I guess we shall see.

donh wrote:
Yours is such a complex and difficult problem. It is also one that I have seen, read about, heard about etc., many times over. It's bad enough having to deal with dependence and the potential of addiction but when real, true, honest to goodness pain is tossed in, it only makes everything that much harder to deal with.

I just wanted to offer that I have yet to find someone that has undergone a rapid detox who has said that it was worth the money, let alone worked well. From everything I have read, the people who have shelled out the $$$ to get this done say it was a very trying to very miserable experience. The relapse rate also seems to be just as high as with any other method. Most addiction treatment is expensive but I can't imagine having to endure a rather painful withdrawal that costs $12,000 plus dollars only to potentially relapse back to the drugs again anyway.

It seems like you may already be shying away from a rapid detox. If not, I would strongly urge you to consider other options as I don't think you'll have any better of an experience than the many others I have read about.

Post subject: Welcome!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:24 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hello bem9127,
Welcome to the Forum and Suboxone..... I think you will like Both!! As you have already seen there is some great and very caring people out here. I am NOT a Dr. or health care proffesinal either. I am however a Greatfull Recovering Opiate Addict and I would just like to give you my experience on Suboxone.... I was on the same amount of medication as you are (mine was 300 mgs. per day) and when I was inducted into Suboxone treatment I started at 16 mgs a day that was 13 months +/- ago..... I am still on 16 mgs and I feel great. I however also need therapy for my addiction witch is once a week currently. I do still have some Back pain But the Suboxone helps keep it at a manageable level...I hope you have as much success with Suboxone as I have. Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress. We genuinely care and would like to keep tabs on your results.... Take Care.

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you aren't feeling well then in my opinion your dose is a little low at this point. You may want to call your doctor and let him know how you are feeling. It won't hurt anything to increase your dose a little.

I am glad you made your decision. I just wish you were having a little better experience with it right now. Let us know how things go.

Cherie