It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 pm 

Great conversation you guys!

I want to comment on something that Snake asked and Fish answered:

SNAKE: I am trying to understand the negative outlook society has on addiction. I am wondering what you think the difference is? I believe this negative outlook drives us just as much as our drug of choice. (END SNAKE)

Yes, I agree there is a stigma to addiction and the method in which individuals treat their addiction. I don't know about negative outlook driving us just as much as our drug of choice. I think the drug of choice takes over in ways in our brain and pathways that are far beyond our comprehension. I don't think addiction can ever be explained, but I sure am glad there are drug companies out there working on options to treat our disease. What we have now for options is far from perfect but I do believe we are making progress. I predict the signs will always remain somewhere, somehow, but I do predict it becoming less prominent as the years go on and the research and development from science continues to produce innovative treatment modalities such as medications like buprenorphine products. Just like depression and anxiety would land a person a stay in a mental institution many decades ago, now it is widely accepted that mental illness is real, and medications have developed to make it virtually a non issue to carry on a normal functional life, despite the diagnoses of mental illness. My hope is that the same will be true of addiction, and that less individuals and families will lose everything as a result of our disease. (END FISH)

(Begin Amy) Addiction has gone through several phases of being understood by society. The most harmful understanding of addiction was that it is caused by low morality and lack of character. I think it was the Victorian Era that produced this theory. The "solution" to cure addicts was incarceration. Although this "theory" has been thorougly debunked by science, the stigma of addiction has never gone away. I think there is something about the human psyche that makes us want to feel superior to other people. Addiction is a great excuse to look down on others, right? Therefore, all the science about brain chemistry, addiction as disease, and the efficacy of medications that help addicts, has been difficult for people to accept or even be informed. It's so easy to say that people who are addicts are immoral. It gives an easy explanation for why an addict would "love" their drug more than they "love" their kids. What kind of person picks a drug over their baby? It's very simple for people to think it's because addicts are bad people, not sick people. We argue over whether or not addiction is a disease and whether taking buprenorphine is like taking insulin for diabetes. More and more scientific evidence is pointing toward addiction being a disorder or disease of the brain, yet there is still a tendency to blame an addict's character.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:13 pm 

Is one of the topics about the difference in taking something after suboxone to help u feel better? Sorry guys I'm a bit loopy today and I could've read it wrong. If I didn't read it wrong then I'd like to add my view on that. With fish taking the L-tyrosine, I personally would definitely take this if I needed to. I'd even take it just like fish said, just trying to prevent a sluggish day. I've never taken this before but I have done some reading on it. It's definitely not like replacing sub. To me, it'd be like us taking an Imodium to prevent....well u know lol. Just like when I went to rehab, during the detox faze, we were given a handful of meds to make us feel comfortable. But as soon as they thought we were feeling better after a few days, they stopped the meds. Personally I think they expected us to "feel better" way to quick, but that wasn't my decision. But yeah, I see nothing wrong with taking something to help get ya through. As long as it isn't something you'll become addicted to or prolong ur withdrawal. I think working and/or taking care of children is extremely difficult during that period of stopping sub. If u can take something to ease the symptoms or emotional part, absolutely I'm all for it. If ur against taking anything, that's totally cool too. I think everyone would probably rather be able to push through without taking anything at all. But more than likely, some need a little help and I'm in total support of that.

I hope that was one of the discussions u were talking about, cause if not I'm gonna feel like a big airhead. I've been running around like a mad woman today. We had this beautiful dog show up on our front porch wounded during a huge storm. No bleeding or anything, just unable to walk to good. So I'm in rescue mode and hopefully I can keep this sweetheart.....no collar. Anyway that's my little input. Awesome job Fish on ur twenty something day!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think the "mental component" is the key to whether it is addictive behavior or not. Taking Advil when I have a headache to ease the pain doesn't create a situation where I begin craving the Advil and seek it out. If I'm tapering and take something to minimize the symptoms, I don't begin craving it and continue taking it to satisfy that "mental component".

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Amy..Morph.. and jenn...
Thank you for adding your opinions. I seriously could not agree more with literally everything that you all said. And yeah, jennjenn, that was part of the discussion. ;)

Now my awesome attention span kicked in and I want to know about this pup you found jenn! Did you get to keep him??! I LOVE dogs, and all animals in general.

Amy,
I agree so much that even with the advances that have been made in the field of addiction, the stigma remains. What solutions exist out there to help de-stigmatize addiction? Is there anything we, as addicts can do to help this battle? Or will it just take progression in the treatment modalities along with time?

Great discussion everyone.... And snake if you're still feeling it, can't wait to see what you bring to the table! ;)

Hope everyone had a good day...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:16 pm 

I tend to think that addicts who are doing well in treatment whether it's medication-assisted or not need to spread the word that they are functioning members of society. I know that some of us are in professions that prevent us from spreading the word. But even those addicts can educate people. If you here a disparaging comment you can mention that you recently read an article that said... or you have a cousin that is doing well in this treatment or that.

I'm hoping to be in a position to help spread the world in a few years after receiving some more education. It's especially important, I think, for professionals in the field of addiction to advocate for the treatments that are proven and backed by scientific study.

It won't happen overnight, but so many people have become addicted to opiates in the last 20 years that everyone will know someone in recovery soon.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:58 pm 

I think we may turning a corner in some areas in this. The faces and Voices site is a movement towards standing up for ourselves and others in re overy.
Several new articles with pro leanings toward evidence based recovery are making the rounds in the press. Plus other government leaders are starting to step up.
This pandemic of oipate addiction is effecting so many in all walks of life that nobody should really be putti g there heads in the sand.
Our President seems to get it, as does the HHS director and Drug Zar..

All I can do is try to show others when I can how my kind of recovery has worked for me a d do my best to get the correct information out there.

Lucky I havd the ear of any addicts in our clinic every week. Even if its just getting here to this forum...