It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok I've been on Suboxone for a little over 6 months. I have the clear mind and no cravings to speak of. I just know I need to be doing more. I heard something yesterday that I wrote down, "Buprenorphine is not a cure but it does put addiction in remission". I actually thought Suboxone was a cure to start with and I feel it's the closest thing to one but am discovering there is a lot I need to be doing too. I've read a lot of the threads here about Suboxone but nothing about recovery, not 1 thread about recovery. I am going to be spending a lot of time reading there and I was curious if there were some people who wouldn't mind sharing what they did in their first year to get them started on the right track. I hope I put this in the right section. I have briefly looked into SMART recovery but welcome thoughts from people in NA, and 12 step meetings as well. I like the idea of not being powerless over drugs/ pills, but I know that part of my life is over. Has to be. Well, any help is welcomed. I'll be making comments on some recovery threads when I have questions or comments. Thanks yall! Ready for some working on myself and a new Angie I read "My Story" for the first time, and got very inspired. Great Suboxdoc we have here over this forum as well as all the modulators. Thank you all. Angie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:49 pm 

Hi Angie,I love the fact that you are ready and looking for ways to be supported in your recovery. Have you gone to 12 step meetings. I love the steps and apply them to just about anything in my life! I developed an addiction to tramadol after gastric bypass surgery. Makes sense right? Take away the food and fill that void with what??? Alcohol did not work, due to the surgery! But, a half of a pain pill was just wonderful! You know that feeling, in the begining! Well before you know it, I was on the wheel! You know, the one that rats ride and ride to nowhere! That was me and I hated myself! It was costing more and more money and there was no way out! Then in August of 2014, they changed the class of drug for trams and you could not find them online or once you did, from overseas, which terrified me, they were double the price! So, that is when I made the decision to find a suboxone doctor. I got so lucky! My first pick was an amazing doctor who I have been with ever since! I have even recommended her to a few people here! Find what works for you! I love people and make connections very easily so twelve step meetings really do it for me. I decide who I tell about the suboxone! Let me know what you decide. Of course, this group and being a mod here is my biggest support! (After my husband, of course! lol)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your story is so interesting to me. FIRST the food, then the mind altering drugs. But I guess the food WAS the drug. Very interesting. Yes I have done 12 step meetings. The first one was when I was 14. That was the first time I went to treatment. There was one in a hospital in Auburn called New Beginnings. I was the youngest one that had ever been through treatment there at the time. I got cought smoking pot at school and the health teacher recommended I go to a 28 day program. I don't drive so I have a hard time getting to meetings. I have been with my daughter to a few celebrate recovery meetings at her church, but since we moved and live so far out, we are in a very secluded part of the country, I haven't made ANY meetings. I am going to get a SMART handbook and go from there. I have been learning ALOT just from scanning the forum. Especially the introduction. A lot of good advice to the newbees there. I love people and make connections very easy too. I used to be a hairdresser before I got on Disibility. I am thinking of getting an education again even though I'm 44. LOL Kind of late in life. But I make no money and I'm feeling so much better I know I can do something. I am so excited to be on Suboxone and have my life back. I can't get over it, honestly.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:47 pm 

Hi Angie, I know what you mean about getting your life back. I felt the exact same way when I first started suboxone and even now after two years on suboxone! It just amazes me! I was just saying this to my doctor yesterday. She is a lovely woman and she has been such a support to me. It is everything if you have a really good doctor! Did you know that they have 12 step meetings on line and telephone meetings too? I am a 56 year old woman who believes that it is never the wrong time to get more educated! Good luck! I have been in my forties and on a college campus taking classes. I loved it...it kept me young! Have a great evening!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, no I had no idea there were meetings over the phone and I've never done any on line meetings either. :oops: My computer skills are not very good. My son helped me get signed up here on the forum. I couldn't do it myself. My computer skills need some help :oops: Maybe you can send me a pm about the meetings or better yet, post it here in case someone else may be lacking the skills to join the groups via internet. Thanks Michelle, Angie Oh for the record, I wanted my user name to be Bamagirl22, not Bamagurl22 The #22 is my sons lucky #, and when he got me all signed up, he put dang "Bamagurl22" instead of what I originally wanted. It bothers me, too. I know I shouldn't worry what others think but I have always been a little self conscious of what others may think. I've even thought I might start a new thread explaining the situation but then wonder if I'm over reacting and I don't want to be judged as being that way either. I just want to make a good impression here. And I hate that user name. Is there any way it can be changed? Sorry to be so trivial first thing in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:47 pm 

Hey Bamagirl!

I know what it's like to want to make a good impression. The great thing about this space is that we aren't here to judge you.

As far as I know, the only way to change your name is to create a new username that won't be connected to your previous posts. I wish the moderators could change it for you, but we don't have that ability.

Just know that we welcome you as you are and you don't need to change anything to be better for us. We already like you! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh I'm very excited to report I received my SMART Recovery handbook in the mail over the weekend. It's even better than I thought it was going to be. Full of good recovery oriented stuff. I recommend anyone that's been in recovery b4 and just got tired of the 12 step ways, well just know there IS a group for us too. There IS a group that accepts the fact that we take medication to assist in our recovery. Thanks yall!! Had it not been for this forum, I would not have this handbook. Recovery, here I come! Thanks mods, thanks Suboxdoc for having such an awesome forum and Talk zone blog. I get so much from this forum EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE, and I know it helps me out tremendously. I am truly grateful for this forum as it keep me clean to get on here and communicate openly and freely about recovery life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:14 pm 

Bamagurl ur a wonderful addition to this forum! ☆☆☆☆☆

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

AWE GARSH :mrgreen: Thanks, and your a wonderful moderator. Thank you for donating you time to the forum.