It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi,

I had my last doctors visit on the 16th and at that appointment my doctor and I decided it was time for me to step down from 8mg to 6mg with the ultimate goal of a 2mg maintenance dose. So, far so good other than the fact that I'm having a lot of cravings to smoke cigarettes. I quit smoking shortly after I started Suboxone. I've been on Suboxone since the 3rd of February. Has anyone ever dealt with maintaining your will to stop smoking while tapering your dose. I don't want to start smoking again, but i have bummed a couple this week. I have been able to really boost my confidence by achieving the goals that I've set since i got help and I don't want to start giving ground again. Since starting treatment I've gotten back to doing well in school, got a job that I like, done some relationship healing and I've quit smoking. I'm not trying to toot my own horn I just feel good about what I've been able to do so far. Anyways, I would appreciate any suggestions on how to stay away from the cigarettes. Oh, all three of my roommates are smokers so that makes it tough as well. My lease ends in July so I will definitely be looking for smoke free roommates.

Thanks for listening!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am both jealous and impressed about your quitting smoking. I still smoke so unfortunately, you won't get any tips from me since clearly I haven't found anything that works. There are the standard suggestions I always hear from people such as.....brush your teeth, drink cold water, put a straw in your mouth, go for a walk, eat a sucker, etc. etc. etc. I am sure you have heard all of those before. I guess I do have a couple ideas but don't count on any of the working :-) Actually...I am sure it is me that they don't work. I think it is helpful when you have an urge to smoke to think about it for a good 10 minutes and try some of the above suggestions and if you still want a smoke then you can have one. Maybe that is why I still smoke :-) You could learn to meditate when you want a smoke.

Now I have a question and I don't want you to take this wrong at all or infer anything from it because I am actually just curious. Why did you decide on 2mg for a maintenance dose? Can people truly take only 2mg per day without getting withdrawals at the end of the day or by morning? I have just heard people say it is really hard to taper below 4mg and if you intend to stay on it long term, why put yourself through that? Again, I am not trying to tell you what you are doing is wrong or that I disagree with it or anything as it is entirely your business.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Cherie,

First off I would like to thank you for your suggestions. I think there are some good ideas. I particularity like the meditation idea. Unfortunately, I'm smoking a cigarette right now. I hate cigarettes they make me feel so gross.

To answer your second question there are multiple reasons why I want to get my dose down. I want to save money first of all. I don't have any insurance so the lower my dosage the less money I have to spend every month. Every 2mg I can drop my dose will save me about $50 a month. 8mg cost me $200 a month were 2mg would only cost $50 a month. I also think being on a lower dose will force me to develop new coping strategies, because I wont be as comfortable as if I was on a higher dose. However, I don't think I will be so uncomfortable that I will relapse. Lastly, I will be ready to taper off more quickly if I ever should choose to do so.

I will just have to see how things go. Maybe I will stop at 4, maybe ill get down to 2. Thats my goal for now.