It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So, I had just begun to adjust to my 2mg dose. I have been dealing with plantar fascitis for a few months now, taking Piroxicam and going to PT. I had a tag sale Sat. and for the 2 days leading up to it I cleaned out my attic and basement, moved a lot of heavy boxes, furniture etc. Then on Sat I was on my feet all day. Well come Sat night I was in excruciating pain. Usually when docs give me that pain scale thing I count childbirth as a 10, so anything else would never be more than a 5-6 (even getting hit in a car standing still by someone going 45mph who never hit their brakes.). But Sat it felt like knives were sticking into my feet. It was definitely at least a 9 and I wanted to go to the hospital, but I was in too much pain, and I figured they would just think I was drug seeking anyway. So I had some Vicodin that I was going to save for my WD's and I took about 5 of them (I figured since I was at only 2mg of Sub they would work, but they didn't). The next morning I didn't take my 2mg and I took the other 5 Vicodin and they didn't work either. So ever since then I've been taking Sub like a pain patient, first taking 2 mg every 6 hours, and today taking 4mg every six hours (with ibuprofen). It is working, but I feel like my taper is f*cked, I feel generally stoned and irritable, I'm angry at the whole situation, I wish I could just take full agonists like normal people and I'm pissed that all my Vicodin is gone. And, oh yeah, I'm going to run out of my script early. I'm sorry to unload on you guys, but I'm an extremely unhappy camper right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ahh Lilly, you poor thing.....dang it all to hell, why can't you catch a break? You've been having a rough time of it all and my heart goes out to you Bud.

I really don't think a few days of increased Suboxone use will totally bugger up your taper though. I'm hoping the pain in your feet goes away in a couple of days, then you can decrease back to 2mg relatively quickly?

You said, "I wish I could just take full agonists like normal people"......I almost broke down into tears the other night at one of my meetings because I was so fed up with being a frickin' addict, I kept repeating how I didn't want to be an addict anymore. I feel ya Lilly, hang tight, OK?

((((((HUGS))))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 pm 
STOP IT, your taper is not effed. Get the inflammation down in your feet (epsom soaks) and the nsaids with food.

You only have this one day. Go back to the taper and stay stable. Your receptors are saturated at this point. You took 8mg one day and 24 mg the other,of sub. Ask my favorite resident moderator Hatmaker how to start putting your taper back together.

No worries, you are going to make it. Sending BIG love your way. QUIT beating yourself up!

Robin

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That sucks, Lilly! I've had plantar fasciitis before and I know how painful it can be. Do you use any of the orthotics that are available to wear both at night and during the day? I found they helped me a lot. If I were you and you still want to taper off - and it sounds like you do regardless of your increased pain - I'd do everything possible to treat that condition. (BTW, I had zero luck with PT.)

Do you plan to continue to treat your pain for a while before returning to your taper? If not and you want to return to your taper right away, I'd say that your increased sub dose over that very short period of time won't make much of a difference and you should be able to drop back down to where you were - or at least very close to it. Now that said, that's just my opinion and I have nothing to base it on.

This just goes to show us that suboxone does help with many people's pain and you're certainly not the only one who has tapered and found their pain unexpectedly returned or new pain showed up.

As for being angry/upset about not being able to use full agonists ever again, well, I'd say you're in excellent company. I think ALL of us feel that way - I know I do. I've said that many a time to my husband and expressed how angry I was at myself for fucking up like that.

Hang in there and try not to beat yourself up over something that's already done. You CAN continue to move on from here. I know you can.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am so sorry you are going thru this. Please do not beat yourself up over it. We are so quick to remind ourselves that certain things in life are out of control and to live life on life terms when it involves staying clean and not using drugs. However this is no different, this is something beyond your control and you are living life on lifes terms. The terms just happen to be excruciating pain that you had no choice but to treat. Please don't think of it as giving in because that is not what you did. I know it sucks that you had to take more sub but you had no control over your pain. I know we haven't spoken much on here but I have read a lot of your posts and you are an extremely strong woman and you will get back to where you were. I have noticed something about addicts since joining this forum, you are all some of the kindest, caring and extremely strong people I have ever met. When you are feeling down on yourself look at all you have accomplished. I hope you start feeling better!

Post subject: OTC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:24 pm 

I cannot imagine pain at a 9 level so nothing anyone can say will help you through it. But I threw my back out last week and could barely move. There's been a commercial on TV about taking 2 Aleve for all day relief. Normally I take Advil but went out and tried the generic Aleve, took two and couldn't believe it stopped the ache.

It probably wouldn't help in your situation but one has to try everything once to see if it works. It was my back and neck that got me hooked on opiates so I've wondered what I'll do when the pain really comes on. The Sub has helped but the Aleve worked better than that.

Just my regular 2¢ Hope you feel better. And don't sweat the taper journey. It's easy to get back down to where you were. It'll just take a few weeks or less. Keep the spirits up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You guys have no idea how much your posts are helping me. Fairrobin, you're right, I actually took 12 the first day, 16 the second and 8 yesterday. And like Rule suggested I think I'm going to try Alleve when I get out to the store. I went back down to 2 mg today, but like Hat said, because my receptors are pretty saturated now it's going to be a few days before I know how I'm going to feel on it.
I was just in a very low moment when I wrote that post, and even the process of writing it out, with the added bonus of getting almost instant feedback is extremely therapeutic. I also made an an appointment with my Sub doctor, so he can help me get back on track (I'm lucky in that, even though he's unprofessional in the way he runs his office (IMO) he is extremely knowledgable about Sub).
And Hat, yes, I have orthotics that a doc measured me for, night boots, I've done tons of stretches, icing, exercises, the whole nine yards, and if anything it's gotten WORSE! I'm just extremely discouraged because I'm underemployed, having trouble losing weight, having financial issues, husband out of work on injury, and YAY!, trying to get off drugs. I know a lot of you will probably say this isn't a good time to go off, but there is never a good time. Last year when I tried there was a whole other shit storm (car accident, medical bills, family issues, you name it). I just have to take the bull by the horns and accept life on life's terms, because with a family, a dysfunctional extended family, a bad economy, etc., I can't wait for a calm that's never going to come.
O my God, I'm doing it again, so I'll just stop now. Thanks again, each and every one of you, for your helpful replies.
Lilly

Post subject: blah
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey LV-I am sorry you feel so frustrated. Guess I can relate - my doc made me go up to 4mg and I have to stay there for a month, before going back down to 3mg, then Ill stab. there for 2 weeks, then taper to 2mg. UGH! it is SO frustrating.
I noticed you said Vicodins help you with WD? I may get my hand on some. How many should I get? Please let me know as anything will help. My uncle has some I think, and maybe I should take 2 a day for 3 days?
Anyways, YOU WILL get back. I think you are not screwed up and can get back to 2mg. When are you jumping????
Update us please-I am following you!
<3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 pm 
Jenzo, the suboxone will block the action of the vicodin so big waste of time..........You are staying at 4mg no? Your receptors are or should be saturated. The other stuff is a waste at this point. Stay stable. Don't fall into the addictive stuff! OK?

LILLYVAL you rock honey, this will work out, one day at a time and blah blah blah xoxoxo robin

Post subject: not what i meant!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Fairrobin wrote:
Jenzo, the suboxone will block the action of the vicodin so big waste of time..........You are staying at 4mg no? Your receptors are or should be saturated. The other stuff is a waste at this point. Stay stable. Don't fall into the addictive stuff! OK?

LILLYVAL you rock honey, this will work out, one day at a time and blah blah blah xoxoxo robin

definitely meant when i quit, like a vicodin to help out with the pain like the above member suggested!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:48 pm 
Jenzo, I don't understand why you would use vicodin for pain, while on suboxone.

I don't believe Lillyval encouraged the use of vicodin to help with her withdrawal pain. She used it out of desperation because she was tapering too quickly and her body went into acute withdrawal. Subs block the pain qualities of opiates ie: vicodin, for a rather prolonged period of time.

If you read what she posted, she said the vicodin did nothing for the pain......she is getting back on the dose of suboxone that helps control pain and stops the acute withdrawal symptoms. She is working her A$$ off to get back to stable.

By using the vicodin and Lilly will tell you, it is only setting you back.....does this make sense? Anyone, tell me, am I wrong about this???

Good luck Jenzo, I will have to find your history some where and read it........ Sending a ((HUG))

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I actually attempted to use the Vicodin for my severe foot pain, and since I was only on 2mg of Sub I thought it might work, but the Sub still blocked it almost 100%. I was considering saving it for when I jumped off Sub, but I would NOT recommend this approach to anyone, because for most people it's a ticket right back to active addiction. I did use low doses of full agonists the last time I went off Sub, but I had absolutely zero access to any more, and I had a family member in control of the bottle. I took very small doses, as little as 7.5mg/day for about 10 days. Again, I really don't think it's a good idea. In fact there is someone on here right now who used Tramadol for Sub WD, and got back into a nasty Tramadol habit and now has to go back onSub to get off it, so it's a vicious cycle. I'm sorry I even mentioned it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Fairrobin wrote:
Jenzo, I don't understand why you would use vicodin for pain, while on suboxone.

I don't believe Lillyval encouraged the use of vicodin to help with her withdrawal pain. She used it out of desperation because she was tapering too quickly and her body went into acute withdrawal. Subs block the pain qualities of opiates ie: vicodin, for a rather prolonged period of time.

If you read what she posted, she said the vicodin did nothing for the pain......she is getting back on the dose of suboxone that helps control pain and stops the acute withdrawal symptoms. She is working her A$$ off to get back to stable.

By using the vicodin and Lilly will tell you, it is only setting you back.....does this make sense? Anyone, tell me, am I wrong about this???

Good luck Jenzo, I will have to find your history some where and read it........ Sending a ((HUG))

lol I meant for AFTER i come off of subs. FOR the wd PAIN. I probably wont go there just because Id feel like it would be contradicting everything!! But , I thought it was interesting! I am stickin to my neurontin, klonopin and ambien!!!! and good ol ib profen. hot baths and yoga. thatll do it along with some TLC:)))) much love sorry for the confusion.

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I used Lorcet Plus (Vicodin) during the first 4 or 5 days of my wd off of Suboxone and it was basically a waste of time, if anything, it just pushed my peak wd out a few days AND I was playing with fire. A recovering opiate addict, using Lorcet to help with his Suboxone wd, Golly Moses I'm stupid as hell sometimes!! We addicts can talk ourselves into doing some of the craziest shit.

Jenzo, don't waste your time with an opiate to get off of another opiate. Get your comfort meds, Clonidine, a Benzo and a sleep aid and they'll help as much as an opiate would, but without the risk of them completely and utterly blowing up in your face!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Lily -

I had plantar fascitis for what seemed like forever and my doctors could do NOTHING to make it better. Plus, I work in retail so I am on my feet all the time. You are right about it feeling like being stabbed in the feet with knives.

I got it to go away by massaging my calf muscles, which was also really unpleasant but it worked, and the relief of the pain in my feet was nearly instant. PM me if you want details on how I did it.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks, Diary, I'll try anything at this point. The fact that a lot of people say they "had" p.f. gives me hope that this will end someday, but I've had it since May and it feels like a life sentence. I think losing weight would help, but I was doing the hiking as part of my weight loss program, and now I can't do it! I guess it's time to get the bike out.

Post subject: stupid typos!~!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jenzo wrote:
Fairrobin wrote:

lol I meant for AFTER i come off of subs. FOR the wd PAIN. I probably wont go there just because Id feel like it would be contradicting everything!! But , I thought it was interesting! I am stickin to my neurontin, klonopin and ambien!!!! and good ol ib profen. hot baths and yoga. thatll do it along with some TLC:)))) much love sorry for the confusion.

Robin

I totally agree its risky, and i dont think ill need it. :) i got some hot baths and exercise and a sauna to my disposal!