It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,

I will make this quick. It has been time to get off the pills for a long time. My opiate abuse spans almost 7 years with pronounced periods of increased use and almost no use. My first period after use and abuse was after wrist surgery. I took 40-70mg of oxycodone per day for a little over four months. Yes, I kept asking for scripts long after the pain dissipated. Something told me it was time to stop and that time I did, yet the craving lingered. Over the next couple of years, I slung, bartered, bought and took everything I could get my hands on. I even used herion when nothing else was around or to bring a pain free end to a cocaine binge. I always thought it was under control and weeks or even months would pass between binges. About 18 months ago, I was injured pretty badly and became a pain management patient. I have 2 things going on, the doctors want an answer to wether the medication is causing my continued headaches and I have a serious job opportunity at my doorstep for the first time in 4 years. I think the doctors finally realized I am using far more than they prescribe, which is really starting to strain the budget. The doctors have cut my supply to 50mg of hyrdocodone per day, yet I can easily take anywhere from 40-100 mg of oxycodone per day. Somehow I have slipped through the drug screening several times. I was told I have 2 months to get comfortable with the idea, yet I have a feeling my supply will be cut off Thursday. I really want to put this in the past. I know they need to go. Will I still have headaches, not truthfully sure at this point.

Here are my questions:

1. How long does it take to get an appointment with a suboxone doctor? If I call today what is the average wait time to get into the office. I know you need to be clean for 36-48 hours or whatever they tell you.

2. If I am able to schedule in a specified period of time, how long does the adjustment take? Would I be able to return to work within 3-4 days of the initial appointment? I feel like I have a dirty secret to hide.

Any input would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It depends on your area and how many Suboxone doctors there are, and how many patients they have. I called and got in to my doctor in 2 weeks.

You don't have to be in withdrawal that long on oxy or hydro since they are short acting opiates. My doctor told me I could take my last dose of hydro 12 hours before my induction appointment. I took it 17 hours before because I was afraid of precipitated withdrawal, and I was fine. The doctor said I didn't need to wait that long when I went to my appt. Said they inducted a lot of people and have never seen anyone go into PW. But to be sure, you should rely on the COWS scale, which you can google. I was at about a 19-20 on the COWS scale. My withdrawal was not intense. I was uncomfortable, like with a cold or the flu, and couldn't sit still for very long, but I wasn't in severe withdrawal by any means.

After my first dose, I felt a little woozy for a couple of days. The third day I had a headache, but didn't feel woozy anymore, so I definitely could've gone back to work that day. By the 4th day I felt completely normal.

This is my experience. I hope this helps a little. I'm sure others will come and share some more info with you soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 pm 
Great answer, Taurus. Not much to add to that.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can totally relate to your situation. I also took anywhere between 70-90 mgs of Oxycodone a day. I started my Suboxone treatment today...so far, so good! There's goina be a few adjustments on my dosage, but I'm very thankful not to be in withdrawals anymore. And no more pain pills...It totally consumed my life...makes me sick to think of all that wasted money.
Anyway- I called and got an appointment fairly qquick. And my doctor is open on Saturdays, which rawks!
My advice is this- a lot of the doctors that prescribe Suboxone make it mandatory that you attend either individual therapy or group therapy. Which isn't a bad thing! One place I called wanted 3 groups a week....that was too much for me cause its just too far to drive. The doctor I chose requires 1 session a wk and I got to chose either individual or group.
Come back and let us know how ya doin'. Good Luck!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:32 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Phonz1234 wrote:
Hello,

I will make this quick. It has been time to get off the pills for a long time. My opiate abuse spans almost 7 years with pronounced periods of increased use and almost no use. My first period after use and abuse was after wrist surgery. I took 40-70mg of oxycodone per day for a little over four months. Yes, I kept asking for scripts long after the pain dissipated. Something told me it was time to stop and that time I did, yet the craving lingered. Over the next couple of years, I slung, bartered, bought and took everything I could get my hands on. I even used herion when nothing else was around or to bring a pain free end to a cocaine binge. I always thought it was under control and weeks or even months would pass between binges. About 18 months ago, I was injured pretty badly and became a pain management patient. I have 2 things going on, the doctors want an answer to wether the medication is causing my continued headaches and I have a serious job opportunity at my doorstep for the first time in 4 years. I think the doctors finally realized I am using far more than they prescribe, which is really starting to strain the budget. The doctors have cut my supply to 50mg of hyrdocodone per day, yet I can easily take anywhere from 40-100 mg of oxycodone per day. Somehow I have slipped through the drug screening several times. I was told I have 2 months to get comfortable with the idea, yet I have a feeling my supply will be cut off Thursday. I really want to put this in the past. I know they need to go. Will I still have headaches, not truthfully sure at this point.

Here are my questions:

1. How long does it take to get an appointment with a suboxone doctor? If I call today what is the average wait time to get into the office. I know you need to be clean for 36-48 hours or whatever they tell you.

2. If I am able to schedule in a specified period of time, how long does the adjustment take? Would I be able to return to work within 3-4 days of the initial appointment? I feel like I have a dirty secret to hide.

Any input would be great.

HI PHONZ and welcome to the forum

To answer your questions..I got in to see my doctor the same day I called!!! I was only in minor withdrawals...the Dr. said 12 hrs was long enough to wait..I was taking 20 norcos a day. The minute they put that sub under my tongue i began to feel wonderful and by the second dose real euphoric that lasted the entire day...I could have gone to work easy..They started me 16mg. Now i am down to 10 and still feel great..no euphoria after the first dose..but I feel normal and have no desire for my doc.

I hope it goes this well for you. I wish you good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks,
Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome! Like Taurus said, it really depends on the doctors in your area and who you happen to reach and their schedule. Just keep calling around!

Slipper's experience is pretty typical, although some do take a day or two to stabilize. It's really dependent on how appropriate that initial dose is for your needs.

Good luck and keep us posted. Again, welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I actually could have gone to work after my very first dose because I do office work, so I would've been ok just sitting at a desk. The wooziness wasn't so bad that I couldn't work. And the headaches the first 2 days came on hours after I took it..in the evening...and they came on pretty slowly at first. So I would've been fine at work. If you do have to go to work right after, it should be ok. You might be just fine and have no symptoms. If you do happen to start feeling a headache or nausea coming on, you could always just go home sick that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the input, I have not yet made the appointment but I do feel better that it may only take a few days to adjust. It's time to make a change and I will keep you posted. To shed just a tad more light on the subject, it's a teaching position, thus the need to be even more discrete. I was hoping if I secured the job, then to try to get of the pills and utilize replacement therapy to stabilize myself over spring break,which is a full week . Then my plan is to kick the habit for good. I realize opiate addiction does generally require more than one try. I am on attempt 30 or 40 at doing it myself, thus time for real help is overdue. I have resisted this course of action, but feel it may be time to try something new. I have read lots of your success stories on this forum and will visit again as my path unfolds. I also need to find some counseling. As time goes on, I am feeling less embarrassed and the time to reach out is at hand. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Phonz - you have no reason to be embarrassed. The way I see it (and many others as well), is that we have a disease - opiate addiction. It actually changes our brain chemistry. (Under the section "Why the Anger", there's a thread called "What is Addiction". You might want to read that. It talks alot about addiction and how it affects our brains. It's quite interesting.)

I think seeking out counseling is an excellent idea. I was in counseling while I was still in active addiction, but I'm sure you can imagine I didn't get much done, some, but not much. I stayed in it after I began suboxone and that's when the real work started. I don't do AA or any other recovery but this forum. Yet, for me, individual therapy does more to improve me and my life than anything else. And improving ourselves, to me, is what recovery is all about.

Good luck to you. I think you'll be surprised how good (and "normal") you'll feel when you start sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My first individual therapy is tomorrow morning. I've never had counsling for anything before. Which is a shame because I bet I wouldn't have started pills. Who knows. I opted for one on one because I'm dealing with depression and I'd be the big blooming idiot crying like a baby in the corner. PMDD issa bish! And yeah embarressment played a part in that decision. :sigh: I'm taking advantage of this forum, its my group therapy right now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well, the good news is that I got the job. It's in a different state, thus I broke down and made the calls about getting an appointment. My goal is to try to contain myself, keep up appearances, then make the change over spring break. Of course, when I found out I got the job, I downed an entire 80 OC, and another 40mg hydro. (some how, I try to keep my hydro under control because of tynelol. I use cold water extraction if needed. I feel like a binge and purge is coming. I have never felt so guilty over taking something before, thus another clue, it's time. Thanks for the input. I promise to stick around and I hope to maybe even be useful some day around here instead. I am the the beginning of my journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on the job! We'll be here to support you when you're ready. I know making the change and starting suboxone is scary, but the vast majority of people who've gone on suboxone maintenance treatment have stated how very much it helped to turn their lives around. I know for me it (going on sub) was the very best thing that could have happened to me. My life was heading towards a dead end and i knew I was going to crash hard if something didn't give.

Post anytime; we're always here.