It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't notice anyone with my situation, but honestly i'm very agitated due to pending withdrawals coming and i figured i"d just post.

i've been taking tramadol for 10 years now. as time went on tolerance went up, and I was up to taking 13 50mg tabs every 4 to 6 hours. I tamed that down, and currently had been taking 6 50g pills every 3 hours.

I have a new prescription of suboxone, but i'm petrified that the doctors don't realize how bad the withdrawals are with tramdol.

people pass it off because it's not a narcotic opiate. But let me tell you, the withdrawals are awful, and the last time I tried kicking cold turkey I considered suicide due to the extreme anxiety.

I have 21 8/2 filstrips. The doc said take 3 times a day. Is that a lot or very little? Toe doc said that's 1 week then i need to go back in and see her again

Also, I'm petrified of taking this stuff too soon. Let's say I take it before I was supposed to. How bad will it be, and how long could I expect before it starts helping, not hurting?

I am assuming to go about 16 to 18 hours after my last dose of tramadol. Does that sound about normal?

sorry for the crappy grammar etc, i'm extremely nervous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have another question here too. If I start taking Suboxone at like 3am, will I be coherent and able to work the next day?

Thankfully I work at home but I have to have my poop in a group and be able to focus on computer tasks for an extended period of time. I'm a developer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Thumper!
Welcome to the forum! It's great that your here cause there's alot of folks here that can help! I can help you with the tramadol situation cause I had a horrible addiction to those along with hydros. I know exactly what you mean about tramadol withdrawals! They are horrendous! People don't realize how bad they are because they think it's a mild med being it's not a narcotic. I actually believe tramadol withdrawals were worse than hydro withdrawal!
Anyway, I've been on suboxone for about 5 months now, and they have saved my life! I was taking 10-12 hydros a day, then when I ran out of them I'd take up to 15-20 tramadols a day!!! I honestly don't know how I didn't accidently kill myself taking all those pills! God was watching over me!
When I started on suboxone, I was in withdrawal from tramadol for about 2 days. When I went to the doctor she gave me a script for 10 8mg.'s, and told me to take one strip, then come back to her office and let her know how I was feeling. Within about 15-20 min. after taking it, I started to feel soooo much better! I actually felt a little buzzed, then about an hour after that I vomited. Guess the 8mg. was too much to start off with. When I went back to the dr., she told me to start taking 4 mg. in am then 4mg. in the evening. So that's how I started, but now I take 8mg. once in the morning only, sometimes I can get by on just 4mg. a day though.
So, good luck to you!! I know you're probably feeling bad, but don't worry, once you start on the suboxone, you should start feeling much better!
And, if I were you, I would wait at least 24 hours before starting the sub, or at least wait until you start feeling really shitty. You'll be amazed at how much better you're gonna feel!

Let me know how things go okay? And Congratulations on taking the step towards your recovery!!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Tramadol
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:45 pm 

Hi Thumper,

The situation you're in is a tough one. When I went on to Suboxone I gave up a habit of 16-20 Norco's, 12-16 Tramadols, and 8-10 Soma's. They gave me 3 of the 8/2 mg pills. I felt really weird, not bad, not good, just weird. Same as Sublaura, I went home and threw up. Waaaaaay too much Sub.

So take Sublaura's advice and only take maybe a half a film, 4 mg's. You can always increase it but wait at least an hour for the full effect.

But to tell the truth, in my opinion, Suboxone used to come off of a Tramadol habit is just not right. Your doctor should taper you down from it w/o the Suboxone. I know you want to skip the withdrawals but all you're doing is moving them down the road a bit. It may or may not be the best way for you to recover. Maybe see another Dr.? My withdrawals were really not that bad. Yes, I had the anxiety and what I call the crazy brain, but it only lasted about 2-3 days and then I was fine.

Let's see what the others think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What floors me is the price.

I have to pay the doc once a month for the visit and that's $220 then I have to buy the dang subs which the cheapest I can find is a little over 7 dollars apiece. $153 for 21 of them. I have a coupon for a 50 discount, but it's going to cost me $1000 per month based on the doc visits and the meds. that's INSANE. it's more expensive to get off the drugs than to keep taking them .

I'm definitely going to cut it in half to start. Certainly can't hurt. worst case I take the other half an hour later

p.s. no insurance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, the taper thing.....doesn't work. it took me a year of work just to get down to 36 per day. I've tried but i simply can't seem to discipline myself any more. So i have to have something.

The scary part was the timing. I had to get some of those weekly med cases with a box for each day, and put 6 in each one. then write down on a dry erase board how many boxes were left, and what time I took them. Taking them as frequently as every 3 hours it's very easy to accidentally take a double dose. and that is not a fun feeling.

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is one of the reasons that some people say tapering is next to impossible for a lot of us. In the end. You are going to have withdrawal no matter what. I've jumped at 8 and at 1 and they were both about the same. So unless you can taper down to little liquid micro doses then won't really worry about it. In my experience. Idk. Also. So many people taper for the wrong reasons and try to get off for the wrong reasons and it just ends up hurting a genius and their recovery. Don't feelbad about being on Suboxone at all. There is nothing wrong with staying on it as long as you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey again Thumper

Are you saying you tried to taper off tramadol? Cause yes, I tried that too and was not able to do it. I know what you mean by saying you have to have something, so in my opinion (having had an addiction to tramadol), I think suboxone will definately help you.
And yes, I know how insanely expensive sub is! I also have no insurance! I see my doc every 2 months now ( 100.00 per visit), and she gives me a script with a refill. I pay 181.00 for a 30 day supply of 8mg. strips. Yes it's a bitch paying so much, but worth it to be a normal functioning human being again! :D
Oh yea, take Rule's advice about starting at 4mg. first, and then waiting at least an hour to see how you feel and whether you may or may not need to take more.

Good Luck Thumper!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yeah I meant that I'd tried to taper off Tramadol.

Man I wish i could get a month's supply for 180 bucks. The doc has me on 3 per day, which comes to like $650 per month in just meds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ok so one of the questions I have.

If I end up taking a suboxone, and find out it was too early. what should I expect, and how long should I expect it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thumper--

I don't know how you would feel if you took suboxone before withdrawal started kicking in. I'm thinking it would be bad cause you're supposed to take it while in withdrawal since it has the naloxone in it that would probably make your withdrawals even MORE severe!
Are you feeling crappy now? When was the last time you took tramadol?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ugh. this is so awful. I took my last dose 18 hours ago and I'm going crazy. but i don't know if it's real witdrawal so i am afraid to take the sub.

hot/cold sweats, stomach starting to hurt, horrible anxiety.

I just wish i knew when i was ready to take it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hmm. Interesting.

I took a half film thing at 18.25 hours after the last dose. and an hour later now and I feel great! i can't believe this.

I still feel a little dizzy, and slightly cloudy but otherwise it's phenomenal

wow.

Thanks for the assistance everyone. I was very concerned. I purposely stopped ordering my drug so i would be forced to do this, and this feels like the first step to recovery. The first time in 8 years that I felt I could rid myself of those damn pills.

Post subject: Yay!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Alllrighttt Thumper!!!

I'm so glad you're feeling better!!! :D So you took half of the 8mg. film? Was that all you had to take so far? Or did you take more.....well, it's still early in the day, so maybe the half will do the job, but if you start feeling bad again, go ahead and take the other half.

Congratulations again on starting your road to recovery! And stay around here, there is sooo much good information for you to learn. Everybody here is really supportive and helpful.

Let us know how your doing okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. I'm still very nervous. I mean I felt great. actually a little TOO great. i felt high. I did start at a half, then a little over an hour later took the other.

But I went about 6 hours, and felt some withdrawals coming back so I took another half dose. I laid down and tried to sleep but my brain simply would not shut off. all sorts of bizarre semi-dreams and I couldn't fall asleep. I took the other half just now and am feeling better.

I guess that's just how it works? if I start feeling the withdrawals coming back I take the next dose?

I'm sure things will settle down as I get further along. i'm sure it's a huge shock to my body right now. but this is a godsend. I'm so glad i went this route.

You've been a wonderful help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay that's great Thumper! So you've taken a total of 16mg. so far? In 4 separate doses of 4mg. today? IMO, that's quite a hefty start off dose...but everybody's different...I myself took a full 8mg. strip when I inducted, and felt relief within 30 min. or so, then of course, I got really nauseous and threw up later :( ! Lol! But eventually the sickness subsided and I felt awesome! Like I said before, I'm stable now at 8mg. once daily. :) So, since your doctor told you to take 3 8mg. strips a day, I guess you could take 2 more doses for a total of 24mg., if you start to feel bad again.....but really, like I said...that's ALOT in my opinion! Everybody's different I know, hopefully though you won't need to take it.

I'm sorry you're still not getting complete relief yet, but your system probably just needs to get adjusted to the sub....so things should start to settle down to where you're feeling ALOT better soon!

Maybe some other folks here will join in and give you some more help if you need, but I'm glad I was able to at least help you a little bit!

Good Luck!!!!

Post subject: Congrats
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:05 pm 

Hey Thumper,

That is great how it worked for you. Tramadol addiction doesn't get discussed too much here. There are plenty of us who were addicted to it but in your case it was really bad.

I am glad the Suboxone worked for you just like it was meant to do. For now, enjoy the experience of not feeling any cravings or withdrawals. Sub is easier to taper from than tramadol. At least I hope so in your case.

Sometimes it's good to be wrong. Thanks Sublaura for leading her on this one. You both Rock!

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm still up and down. i go from feeling great, to feeling buzzed, to feeling sick to my stomach.

not sure If I'm kicking pills or i'm pregnant. and since I'm a man that's a doozy

Thanks for the help. still love any more feedback someone else might have too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Thumper ... congrats on having the courage to take the plunge with Suboxone. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned so far in this thread because a couple of years ago it was mentioned to many people in your exact situation. Seems the information's been lost somewhere down the chain, and this is the first time I've seen this thread.

Reason Tramadol's such an emotionally taxing drug to get off is because it acts as an SSRI / SNRI as well as an opiate. So not only do people have to contend with the opioid withdrawal, but they also end up dealing with symptoms of "antidepressant discontinuation syndrome" (PR-speak for antidepressant withdrawal). Tramadol's actually chemically similar to Effexor, which is a nasty anti-depressant to come off. A lot of the emotional ups and downs, headache, vertigo, even nausea can be related to the SNRI withdrawal aspect.

Some people have found these symptoms alleviated by taking a long-acting SSRI, like Prozac. Even one dose can level you out a bit and act like a long-acting taper drug allowing you to gently land, rather than abruptly stop. In the past I've found Effexor withdrawal alleviated by taking one Paxil dose, but I can't confirm that'd work with Tramadol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ok so wait a sec. That might be why i was taking the dang stuff. it works as an anti depressant? That's what it felt like I needed it for.

Well, i survived the first 24 hours now. I had 3 8mb films to take yesterday, but I never took the third one. I believe everyone here is correct after reading their (helpful) replies that 24 is just too much.

I took my last half dose at 2pm yesterday, and finally slept at about 5 pm. Then slept 11 hours. I woke up and took a half film just now, and will take another one before bed.

it feels like my head cleared by not taking that last film.

ugh, i can't wait to stabilize so i can get my poop together.

EDIT: it was nice waking up and having that habitual fear of not being on top of getting enough tramadol so I panicked, then realized i don't need it again..... ever