It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello! This is my first time ever writing in a blog. I decided it would be beneficial to share my story, since I have been helped by so many of yours. I am very grateful for those of you who have courage to share your addiction journeys with others. I started using heroin when I was 17 years old (30 now). It was the worst time of my life. My mom discovered all the paraphernalia in my room and confronted me. My father was living abroad at the time, so he decided to take me with him. That changed my life forever. After a while of living with him, I discovered Vicodin and Norco. I got hooked again and transitioned to Oxy. After several years, I was tired of all the sadness and hopelessness in my life. I lost jobs, family relationships and decided to visit a doctor to RX Suboxone. It was extremely difficult to transition to the new medicine, but it gave me my life back. I have been on the subs for two years now and I am tapering down. I started at 24mg a day and now I am taking 1/4 of a 2mg strip a day. Now, this has been tough, but not intolerable like when I was withdrawing from the heroin. Usually at night, when I get home from work is when I feel really bad and I take a really hot bath. I usually take the 1/4 in the middle of the night when I wake up from a weird itchy feeling in my stomach and restlessness. I have been wanting to quit the subs for a while, but my doctor wanted me to have a safety net of support before. I now have a really awesome job helping others, I am married, I want to get pregnant soon and I have an awesome therapist. When I am feeling sick, I think of the times when I used and hurt so many people. That gives me courage to continue and the hot baths help SO MUCH! I am on this journey for life. The illness of addiction is part of my life, I need to be disciplined and manage it. One thing is, Suboxone changed my life and helped me. It gave me back who I am today. I was flexible with myself to quit it, and now I have what I need to change the sub addiction for addiction to family, success, health and well-being. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just noticed a post with no responses....
I am happy for you, and wish you well. I cringe, though, when I read 'suboxone addiction'. We all know what real addiction was like-- the constant obsession to find relief, the lying and stealing, the fake 'self' we put on when we felt sick, the shame of missing family functions....

People develop a physical dependence to opioids, and that dependence is usually reduced on Suboxone (unless the person was taking less than 30-40 mg of methadone equivalents per day). A person who stops buprenorphine or Suboxone must complete the resetting of tolerance. Frankly, the withdrawal from stopping buprenorphine is a good thing from a doctor's perspective, as it keeps people from stopping the medication whenever they want to use-- as they do with the tablet form of naltrexone.

But whether it is good or bad-- it is physical dependence, not addiction.

You've done the right thing by taking it for at least a few years; studies show a very high rate of relapse in people who took buprenorphine for a year or less. Many people would do best by considering themselves 'clean enough' on buprenorphine.... but that's a long topic.

Good luck!