It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: First time advice???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm new to all this and would like to share my story and hear other's experience with suboxone, opiate withdrawals etc. I started using hydrocodone and oxycodone recreationally about 3 years ago. They made me feel on too of the world, happy, carefree, sexy, confident, outgoing, fun all that stuff that I thought was great. A year and a half ago I found out my husband cheated. I turned to my best friend (opiates) every day just to get out if bed. Just to keep the hurt manageable. And it worked. Then I needed more, and more, and more, as time went on. It's causing new problems in my marriage, along with huge financial issues. I don't like being dependent on anything and want my life back, I want to be in control and feel "normal" again. I've read about suboxone, but was always too afraid it wouldn't work for me, and to be honest, I was scared to give up all the feelings the opiates gave me. Well my sources were dwindling and I found myself going through horrible withdrawals when a friend gave me a suboxone film to try. I figured why not, I'm already in withdrawals it can't get any worse. I tried 4mgs and felt great. I didn't take any the next day, the day after I took 2mg felt fine. Maybe not perfect, but good. And that's all I needed, I needed to feel good without opiated to show myself I can do it! So I made an appointment with a suboxone dr and went today. I told him the truth about everything even the suboxone I got from a friend and what milligram I took. He decided to induct me on 12mgs. I listened and took it in his office. The only reason I did was because I was scared to make a big deal out of it, and be a difficult patient, in case he decided he didn't want the hassle and didn't treat me. Maybe that's me reading too many horror stories online. But anyway, I took the 12 mgs in the office. An glue later he checked me, and I felt good. Probably a little too good. I leave with a prescription with intentions of only taking 2mgs per day instead of the instructed 12. On the way home I was so sick. I've been vomiting the past 6 hours and feel HORRIBLE! 12 milligrams was way too much for me. I took a max of 150 milligrams of lortab, Vicodin, Percocet, whatever I had, per day. I will resume the 2milligeams, but probably not tomorrow. Especially if I'm still feeling the effects of the 12mgs. I wish there was something I could do to feel better, but doubt there is. Am I fooling myself that 2 milligrams daily will kick my habit? Why would he start me off so high? Or is it abnormal to get so suck off 12 milligrams? Just curious to others experiences with this. I WILL quit my opiate habit! It's been 4 days now with absolutely no opiates (unless you consider the suboxone) and feel confident I can do this. Without the suboxone I would have been begging for a lortab by now!

Post subject: Re: First time advice???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are not fooling yourself, 2mgs of suboxone is plenty for some people. I really just depends on tolerance and how people react to suboxone. 12mgs seems high, especially after telling the doctor how you did on 4 and 2 mgs. The problem is, he just doesn't know any better. A lot of doctors have a one size fits all view on suboxone treatment and don't realize how strong the drug can be, especially for people coming from oxy & hydro habits. I'm so sorry you're sick, just take care of yourself and stick it out. I don't think you'll need to dose at all tomorrow. You'll probably have some lingering crappy symptoms but hopefully the nausea wears off. A lot of us have to adjust out doses on our own, it's just the way it is. The last thing a doctor wants to do is listen to an "addict" about how they're feeling and what their dose should be, you know?

Don't lose faith though. Once you get adjusted on the right dose for you, you'll feel so much better and "normal" again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Karly,
I am not entirely sure what stories you have read on suboxone but please, please, please, take it from me, do NOT take suboxone for more than 7-10 days. Here is why I say this:
My story is eerily similar to yours accept I'm the husband with a wife a thought did not love me anymore. I tried to drown out the pain with percoset which ultimately started at 5mg and within a year I was taking 270mg of perc 30's daily. After 3.5 years of doing this I just got sick of spending gobs of money and always having that fear of running out. My "friend" told me about suboxone, which of course being an addict, I got addicted to right quick. Don't get me wrong, suboxone definitely helped get over the oxycodone addiction. It did not so much give me the same high as oxy, but it just did not make me feel like total ass.
After taking it for 10 months, I knew I had to get off. I can tell you the withdrawals are HORRIBLE and are much different than oxy withdrawels. With oxy, the acute withdrawels take anywhere from 3-7 days of feeling like you are about to die. Scale of 1-10 with 10 being shittiest, I'd say they were an 11. The suboxone withdrawal can last anywhere from 10 days to months and is probably a 7 on the shitty scale.
Today is day 30 for me completely off of subs and although the acute withdrawals are gone, there are still PAWS everyday. My body will probably not be back to "normal" (funny, I can't even remember what normal is right now), for another couple months.
As I stated in the first sentence of my post, due not take it more than a few days. The fewer the days the better. When I got off, I did an 8 day quick taper starting at 8mg, then to 4, then to 2, and the last 5 days stayed on 1mg for the last 5 days.
Good Luck and I hope this helps

Subssuck75

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Subs suck huh? I guess you would rather still be addicted to your percs? Where do you think you would be right now if you hadn't found suboxone? And when I ask that I don't mean what you think you should have done differently now that you "know better". I mean really think about the state you were in at the time your addiction was at its worst. Would you really have found the strength to make yourself go through those horrific withdrawals for a week and then stayed sober forever after? I seriously doubt it. But, if you think you would have then I agree, you probably made a mistake by "taking the easy way out". (obviously that is said with sarcasm.)

The fact is subsux, there are tons of people in this world who have tried to quit CT from their DOC and couldn't make it stick. BUT, once we found suboxone we were able to get control of our addictions, and learn to live without running to a pill every time something happened in our lives. Lots of us have then been able to taper off the subs and are living a wonderful, sober life without them.

I agree, if you take suboxone for a long period of time you will become dependent on them and you will have to taper and endure some WD. The fact is if you mess with the bull long enough, you are going to get the horns...if you are an addict you will have to endure WD at some point. I don't know where people get this crap that that suboxone should be this magical pill that cures them of their addiction and lets them stop thier drug use with no WD. Sounds like someone is living in a dream world to me if that is what they were expecting.

As for the WD from subs being worse than pills. I would absolutely disagree with that. It's all in perspective, and how your individual body reacts to it. EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES WITH SUBOXONE DETOX! For some people it's awful, and for some it's not bad at all. I personally believe the one's who have a hard time with it are the ones like the above poster who expect to be able to walk away from addiction with no battle wounds. If you put in the proper taper, keep your expectations realistic, and keep a good attitude, it is completely doable.

Karly, don't let this persons OPINION of suboxone deter you from receiving a life changing medication. Do your research, as any mature adult should do before they start any medical treatment, know what you are getting into, and make a decision based on facts...not based on a few people's misguided attempts to save the world from being swallowed by the big bad suboxone demon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply! It really makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone, and also hearing the different ways people got over their addictions. I know I have to do what I feel is right. And I have heard to take the suboxone for no more than two weeks. That'd be great, if I could! I just don't think I can stop, and stay sober in just two weeks. The PAWS is a big issue for me, mostly the depression. I'm afraid that wont have stopped in just two weeks, and with my "friends" who want to make money off their lortabs so close by, I think the temptation would be too high! And I just can't, WON'T, go back to that lifestyle after I feel I've came pretty far. (Far for me at least, I've never been able to stop for as long as I have even though it has only been a week) I didn't dose yesterday, I still felt bad and slept most of the day, as much as I can being a stay at home mom that is!! Today I just took 1mg instead of 2. I figured with the super long half life I still have 3mgs in me and didn't want to push it. I'll wait an hour and see if I feel I need the other milligram or not. I see where I could possibly get addicted to suboxone, and I don't want that, I'm sure no one does. But it's legal, hopefully I'll spend less in the long run, and it does give me that "normal" feeling I want. Its not really a high feeling, but a good, energetic, I can still be a good mom without opiates feeling. I KNOW I wouldn't be able to quit cold turkey, wish I could. My dr said his research showed that being on it 6-12 months works best for most users. I'm not sure how long I'll need, but I definitely don't think I can stop in two weeks, even if that would be easiest. And it's more mental then physical reasons. I know my legs will eventually stop being restless, and my muscles will eventually quit aching, I just don't know how long before my depression would go away. And that's what scares me, and that's why I don't think I could stop suboxone in another week. I don't feel depressed with it. After my husband's affair, moving out of state, away from family and friends, being a stay at home mom without a lot of adult conversation, and my husband's new job that keeps him away from home for weeks at a time, I feel there's too much stressers in my life to push getting off the subs. Maybe a long taper would work best controlling withdrawals from suboxone? I tried tapering off lortab, but had no self control to stick with it. Suboxone taper would be controlled by my dr, so I'm hoping that would be easier? I've read so much about addiction and suboxone, and will continue. But, it seems so many different things work for so many different people, nothing's set in stone. I'll have to go by trial and error to see what works for me. One thing I know is that I love hearing the stories, encouragement, and what worked for others! Thank you all so much!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:12 pm 

Hi Karly and Welcome to the forum!

Reading your last post it sounds like you did your homework researching Suboxone. Good for you! Pay no attention to Subsucks, he did it all wrong. Let me repost part of his last paragraph:

"As I stated in the first sentence of my post, due not take it more than a few days. The fewer the days the better. When I got off, I did an 8 day quick taper starting at 8mg, then to 4, then to 2, and the last 5 days stayed on 1mg for the last 5 days.
Good Luck and I hope this helps

Subssuck75"

The reason he had so much trouble was that he didn't do a proper taper. If you've read the success stories here then you already know the withdrawals are much easier coming off Suboxone than a full agonist opiate. Plus, your statement about not being able to stay off the Lortabs is almost the same as all of us.

The only thing I disagree with is you trying to take as little as possible. It's not wrong, but in the beginning it is best to do what your doctor instructs. Once I was stable on 8 mg's for a few months then I started to taper. You'll know when it's right. Just make sure those cravings are smashed. Then you won't have any problem walking right by a bottle of Hydro's.

Either way, you are on the right track and it pleases me to know you got your life back. Welcome to the free world.

rule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you! My dr told me to take 12 milligrams a day, but after vomiting for 9 hours I think that's too much. I feel pretty good with barely any cravings at 2mgs, but I can see possibly taking 2 more milligrams in the evening on those "bad days". I know I can't handle the 12 after being in a fog afterwords for 2 days. Taking that 12 milligrams was BAD for me! I could barely function until today, and it's been 48 hours. Maybe I'm just very sensitive to the suboxone? But also, if the 2-4mgs seems to work, I'm afraid to up that. I just want to take the least amount possible that will make me feel better, stop cravings etc, maybe that way when I do taper it will be an easier transition?