It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

well to b kinda short...ima opiate junkie....started with oxycodone and turned into iv herion when i could no longer fill my script and/or afford pills. i recently did a 5 day inpashant cold turky detox center....i wanted to stay longer then 5 days buy insurance company bassically kicked me out...well i was home one day and picked up....blaaaah so now its been 5 strait days of use....i think i can go cold turky again but i have to have to have to work this weekend or i will b homeless.....i have a appt with subs dr. tomorrow....but m really stressing getting on this stuff.....can it be done for an extreamly short period of time or is that just gonna make me sicker in the long run? so depressed n mad at me for picking up not sure if im in the best state of mind to make tough decisions....subs dr appt tomorrow afternoon n last use was lastnight so m already feeling a lil crummy.....so any advice help would b awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 pm 

Hi Johnny and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you've had such a rough ride lately. I understand your ambivalence about whether to go on sub or not and for how long.

There are definitely people here who would tell to not to get on sub in the first place because you may have unwanted side effects and trouble tapering off of it later.

For me, suboxone has been very stabilizing. It has allowed me to get myself together without having to deal with cravings at the same time. I haven't experienced very many side effects and I've been able to do a slow taper over the past 10 months with little effort and few symptoms.

Many people who get on sub do it because they've tried the other routes and haven't been able to stay sober. If that is where you are, maybe it's time to try sub.

You will need to ask your dr. some questions about what he/she thinks about long term sub use versus short term use. If you have a doctor that believes people should only be on sub for a few months, that might work out better than if you have a doctor who believes that long term replacement is best.

Of course, the best doctor will explain the benefits and risks, give an opinion, but help you tailor the suboxone to your own personal situation.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can't predict how you'll do on sub. I can only tell you that it has worked for me.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you're shooting dope, I wouldn't even worry about short term vs. long term maintenance. Your focus should be not using H. Any side effects that you experience on sub (including wds/ tapering etc. down the road) are far less serious and important that the collateral damage you'll face if you continue using heroin. It only gets worse and really quickly, I might add.

Just get on subs and don't worry about too much right now. One step at a time. I was once where you were and I am grateful for where I am today. Good luck!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

ty both for your insights.