It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What kinda world do we live in when New Zealand is the only country forward thinking enough seriously look into Ibogaine?

Good thing about us Aussies is we're always there to steal anything good they make and claim it as our own :D

[web]http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/ibogaine-trial-worth-risk-video-4926416[/web]

http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/ibogaine-trial-worth-risk-video-4926416

I've been doing a bit of reading up on Ibogaine lately. While there are no clinical trials as yet, what's amazing is that it seems there's a comparable rate of relapse between Suboxone and Ibogaine treatments! But Ibogaine acts as a cure for dependence, rather than sustaining the opioid dependence like buprenorphine or methadone.

Given the promising research and numerous anecdotal success reports (with the occasional bad story), why the hell aren't they researching this drug? Maybe the guy in the video has the reason - that because Ibogaine can't be patented there's no money in it for big pharma. It's pretty sad if the world's missing out on a potential addiction cure because there's no $ in it.

Also better clarify that if you're considering Ibogaine for buprenorphine, it's not a good move as buprenorphine is too 'sticky' for Ibogaine to displace, so it doesn't arrest its withdrawal. People on buprenorphine have been known to switch to methadone for a few months before tx though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad that people are doing research into Ibogaine, it does seem promising. I think the researcher in the video clip is right about big pharma having no interest in funding studies because there's no money to be made from a plant. But I think that's where the government should step in and fund the research, because addiction is a problem that ramps up all kinds of costs and there is definitely a benefit to society in funding research for addiction treatments even if they're not going to make some corporate stockholders rich.

I don't know about other countries, but in the US it seems like support for research into hallucinogens is political suicide or something. The US has taken such a hard-line, puritanical stance against hallucinogenic drugs that virtually no one can research them. It's starting to loosen up a bit now and there have been some studies into mdma and psylocibin, but there needs to be more.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The problem, as I see it (in addition to big pharma not making any money) with the US government not researching hallucinogenics is the DEA schedule and the fact that they are categorized as Schedule I.

Schedule I substances are those that have the following findings:

1. The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
2. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
3. There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

It's kind of a catch 22, because these drugs are seen as having no medicinal value, so they can't be researched, but without the research, how can we know for sure that they really have no medicinal value?

Then there's our lovely war on drugs, which only costs the US millions of dollars each year to put non-violent offenders in prison. Don't get me started.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for this link TJ..........

theres more ass- backwards information out there on Ibogaine, than anything Ive ever seen!!!!

I watched a documentary on NetFlix,,,,,, called something like "my ibogaine journey''
it was pretty informational.............. they followed 3 people a few months after treatment, two of them did well,,,,,,, even at
one year later.

theres also a movie on netflix called OXYMORONS,,,, thats rather interesting.
I thought it was gonna be kind of a docu-drama about addiction ....... but its based on a true story of currupt cops in jersey and the 'wave' of perscription pill addiction in the late ninetys.

ANYWAYS,,,,,,,,,,,thanks :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/