It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: First post
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone I decided to sign up and post after visiting the site and watching the YouTube videos over the last month. A little about me I am married and have 4 children and live in California. Children are ages 12 to 19. I work full time at a factory can be physically demanding as well as mentally. Briefly how I ended up here , well in high school I smoked pot I mean everyday from age 17 the first time to age 21 and stopped before my first son was born. But I stayed away from harder drugs.I remained drug free and barely drank for the next 12 years. About 3 years ago I started abusing hydro instead of taking them when I had pain I took them everyday to feel good. I started searching for them and found people friends and strangers to buy from. This lasted 8 months then my wife had enough and urged me to stop so I quit. That initial attempt at recovery lasted 2 months then I relapsed. Since that time I haven't been clean longer than a week or two and have tried quitting 100 times or so. After the initial period I was abusing them i started lying about it from then on. Lying about taking them and lying about the money and lying about eeverything really.I think hiding it and lying about it made the disease much worse. I was stressed and lost about 40 lbs. My last attempt at quitting was in January I took 2 weeks off work and quit. But on my first day back at work I knew a coworker kept them in their lunch bag so I stole one before I even realized it if that makes sense. So for last 4 months I've been using but it was harder because my wife no longer let me have access to money and I had to lie about it. So when she caught me taking her pills last month I just came clean and the next day made an appointment with a sub doctor thru naabp.org

Post subject: Re: First post
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Raider...

I like the way you sound, like an addict who's been beaten up so bad he's ready to commit to recovery.
When we get desperate enough...and only then generally...we suddenly get honest and will do just about anything to get out of our self-imposed prison. It's called the "gift of desperation."

You've made an excellent decision by making an appointment with a sub doc. I can't say enough about this medication. It's made such a profound difference in my life by returning me to a state that can be only described as normal, with no residual WD symptoms to deal wth and no cravings, which is really something of a miracle.

Many more I'm sure will chime in with encouragement and support. Very glad you've joined us. There's a ton of information and experience to be found here.

Keep posting! And best of luck with your appointment. Can't wait to find out how it goes.

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Godfrey,
Thank you for replying to me and you are correct I was beaten down seeing that more and more each day. I didn't have much time to post everything earlier but wanted to post something. I actually started suboxone 8mg per day this is my 3rd week taking it. I paid 150 for office visit which isn't paid I hear. I am making dinner and will post more of my experience so far after that.just wanted to thank you for replying

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:38 am 

Welcome Raider!

Congrats on entering buprenorphine treatment! It's truly an amazing tool, to be able to go through life without cravings, it's huge. I hope ur feeling the normal Godfrey was talking about. I still can't believe that I can actually wake up each morning in peace. I no longer have racing thoughts and obsess about my drug of choice. My clinic also has meetings we're required to go to and that's really helpful. I've also saw an addiction counselor, u may want to think about that too.

So glad u posted and hope u stick around for a bit :)

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Jennjenn,

Thank you for the reply, I am really happy I made this choice also. My experience so far as been great. Only hiccup I had was that I caught strep throat the first week and wasn't sure at first if it was a reaction to the suboxone. When I went to the sub doc he looked at my throat and said it was strep. So I was in pain and really fatigued I stopped taking the subs for two days and just slept the 48 hours prior to that appt. He gave me a month rx and told me to take it as soon as I got home. No the infection is gone but the fatigue is still there but getting better.I do plan on seeing a counselor as well I'm going to start looking for one this week. The Dr I get the subs from recommended counseling but he isn't requiring it right now at least.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey raider,

I'm sorry I misunderstood your situation, but I'm very glad you've started on the subs. :D
That's a bad break, to get strep just after you made the jump to bupe. At least you were able to sleep.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. The counselor is of course a very good move as well. I can tell
you from experience that it helps quite a bit to talk with a compassionate, but objective human being. I've got a therapist and sometimes I start going off on one of my b.s. tangents and he doesn't even have to call me on it, as I hear it in my own voice. It's been an invaluable experience and made the first 6 months of recovery much easier than they would have been.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am 

I had strep throat when I was on my senior trip in high school. Our whole class went to Myrtle Beach for a week and I had strep throat the entire time! I kept it moving through and had as much fun as I could lol. That's what I think of when someone mentions strep.