It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:27 am 
New Poster
New Poster

A welcome site for a understanding Suboxone user and addict. As this is my first post I will keep it short, but will with other posts get my full story off my chest. I belong to a Suboxone group at the Veterans center at Togus in Maine. I cant explain how much I have gained since starting Suboxone. Relapse after relapse was ripping my family apart. I now have been on Suboxone for one year and have not relapsed once. At 46 years old, getting clean is quite a great feeling.
I started using drugs like most of us in High School. Smoking pot and working my way up the chain of drugs with what I could find. I was in the United States Navy for 14 years and stayed somewhat clean for the enlistment. There were periods of Cocaine, LSD and smoking Pot, but with drug testing hanging over you it stayed in check. When I got out of the Navy in 96 I discover pain killers, because of severe headaches. I found my true love and embraced it with all my might. If we put in the effort at working on our addiction on anything else, damn we would have been rich beyond reason. I relocated my family to Southern Ohio, right below Columbus when I was discharged in 96. Worst damn mistake in my life(but thats anouther post) I was prescribed Oxycontin for my headaches and loved it to almost death. I would work my way through my prescription in a week and have to hit the dealers. After working my way up to a 320mg a day habit for six years put a tow on my life. Ohio sucked at trying to find a doctor to get on Suboxone. There was noone, and the one you would find was maxed out on patients. My wife had enough of my addict bullshit and moved to Maine to take care of a sick grandmother. While she was there she applied and was accepted to Nursing school. After a year by myself in Ohio, I moved to Maine with my four boys. I had been in three drug rehabs and relapsed every time. While in Maine my first year in 2007 my addiction was still heavy with me, so I tried the Veterans Administration. What a life saver, they had just started up a Suboxone program. I started with the program on April 4 2009, after many more failed attempts at getting clean myself. It is so far working great. I am recovering nicely, I am in my second semester in College at the University of Maine and am on the Deans list. I am working on my Mental Health/Substance Abuse degree.
Life is better now and going in the right direction. This is a small part of my story and will share more of the shitty details in future posts. If you can just help one person, JUST ONE you have made a impact. God bless you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:51 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome Big Mike -

Glad you are here! I am hopeful to read other parts of your story over time, and have you share experiences with us. Have you ever had surgery while on subs? we have a forum member irishsubs who is looking for someone who has had it in the surgery column. feedback.

Welcome and all the best!

Post subject: Congrats....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Big Mike,
Welcome to the Forum. :D Please feel free to continue to tell your whole story out here. As you are helped by telling your story, Others are helped by reading it. Look around the Forum you will find some other very interesting threads!! Some backround... I was using about 300 - 350 mgs. oxycodone a day for years as well. I am now also on 16mgs. a day of Suboxone.. and feel great. I have also been in treatment for a little over a year now and that includes the Suboxone, my Dr.s visit's and my therapist 2 times a month!!! Well thats my story in a nutshell..... Its nice to hear how you have taken control of your life and are doing something good with it!! We are glad you're here and keep posting it helps more people then you can imagine!! Best of luck in your Recovery...

God Bless
TW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Welcome !!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:28 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Mike, you did remind me of something, our families deserve none of our shit when it come to our addiction, as soon as possible we need to stop being primadonnas about this , get the amount of sub you need down to the lowest needed to just stay on the edge of w/ds, a little sneezing and a runny nose wont kill anyone for a couple weeks, Try to get down to 2mg ASAP ( not that hard by the way )getting below 2mg is when the real work starts, begin a serious exercising routine, and live happy, Good Luck, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Welcome Big Mike,
What a great story! Wow, you have at least four good reasons to stay sober. One year down and another great year starting. I am proud of you. I (and most people on here) know what hard work and dedication to your sobriety that took. Keep us posted and keep it up.

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

A truly inspiring story and thank you for sharing. Good luck for the future and love and best wishes to your family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome! I love hearing stories where people have turned their lives around and are living productively and happy. It just goes to show how beneficial this drug is for people. Look forward to reading more information about you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Mike I'm glad you found your way here. As I'm sure you now know it can be difficult for Suboxone patients to understand just where they fit in the recovery community. It's made particularly difficult when misinformed or predjudice people push and shame those taking Suboxone/Subutex until they go off the medication. Not to go off on a tangent but that's one thing that still confuses the heck out of me. I thought the whole purpose of all recovery programs was to keep addicts alive and help them become productive members of society and yet that is not the attitude I've seen among alot of 12 steppers. I'm in no way saying 12 steppers are bad I'm just very confused about them.

Anywho just I'm just excited we now have another member of our community. Always feel free to PM me if there's anything you need (that goes for everyone:)

Ope and one more thing, I'd like to encourage everyone to take their Suboxone as directed by their doctors or at the very least I'd think it would better to let them know if there's a reason to believe changing dosage would be beneficial. I also strongly urge our fellow members to avoid giving medical advice to others here that is not to say however that there is anything wrong with letting others know what treatments, dosages, etc have worked for us individually. In fact that would seem to be something that could really help newcomers and others here. Now itt was a little hard at first, for me at least to stop pretending I was capable of practicing medicine on myself (guess there is a reason everyone doesn't have their own prescription pads because well....let's face it there'd be alot more dead people) but now I'm convinced that doing so is one of the main reasons I'm still alive and haven't used.
Thanks again Mike, hope to hear from you soon