It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone!

First of all I want to thank everyone involved with this site. Reading through these posts has given me lots of helpful information.

I'm a 38 year old married male with two boys. My first experience with opioids was 11 years ago.  I was super naive and had gotten ahold of a few bottles of Percocet.  I'm so glad that there wasn't enough to develop much of a dependency.  When the pills ran out I went through minor WD.  It sucked but no biggie.

Then, almost 9 years ago I had back surgery with a secondary surgery a year later.  I started with Vicodin, then Percocet and finally made it to Oxy, all doctor prescribed.  The 1st surgery had gone wrong and I was in major pain almost all the time.  At the time the pills were all I knew to deal with it.  

Sometime in 2008 my usage had climbed to 100 - 140 mg of Oxy daily.  I knew i had ghost pain and decided, not my doctor, that that was enough.  I paid $9000 to go through a rapid detox program.  I must have been ultra dependent because it was another six weeks of hell before I leveled out.  At the time my opioid drenched mind didn't like the idea of using Suboxone.  I thought "why have to detox twice?".  I just wanted clean.

I never thought about going back to opioids after that and have been clean since without issue.  However, my pain is getting to be too much for simple Tylenol and Baclofen.

I'm trying to start a serious physical therapy program along with starting some aerobic exercise.  Limited movement for the last 8 years has left me with very weaken muscles and my pain doc says the aerobic exercises will help raise my endorphin levels.

I can semi control the pain on days I don't have to move much or leave the house but I've come to terms with the fact that I'm somewhat house bound.  I went from one extreme to another.  Gobbling pills like candy and doing whatever without working on a physical rehab program to this.

I had an appointment with a pain management doctor last week and he told me to google "buprenorphine and pain management".  I've done quite a lot of reading and am happy to find out bup is used for pain control.  When I see him next week I'm going to tell him I'd like to try it out.  He also wanted me to write down six things I'd like to be able to do.  I'm hoping to accomplish that list.

I feel confident that I can find a happy middle ground, using bup to help me gain some of my life back.  

Thanks for reading and please post any comments or whatever you think I may be missing.  I appreciate any input. 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome!
Congrats on your decision to improve your life!
It won't be easy, but SO worth it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Itsjustme and welcome to the forum. I'll tell you what I know about using suboxone for pain. I am on it for both addiction and pain. I am a chronic pain patient, but due to my addiction, I can never really go back on pain meds for the chronic pain, so I have limited options. Suboxone is one of them. It helps a lot of people, but be aware that it doesn't help everyone nor everyone's pain. It certainly doesn't make my pain disappear, BUT it does make it tolerable/manageable, although I'm still disabled and not working. And for me, I find my pain being tolerable to be acceptable, because personally, I figure we have chronic pain, so I don't really expect it to ever totally go away. It's just the way it'll be for us. At least that's how I see it. It is CHRONIC pain, after all.

Moving on....when dosing for pain ONLY, you'll be taking it every 4-6 hours, unlike the once daily dosing that addicts do. Sub's pain properties only last on average 4-6 hours.

Dosages vary widely for pain - some people can do well at 2 mg, two or three times a day, whereas people like me take 8 mg, 2-3 times per day. I've tried dropping my dose down to 4 mg for each dose, but I just don't get the pain relief I get from the 8 mg. I don't know why though.

What I'm saying is you'll have to find what works for you. Don't start out on too high a dose though, especially if you haven't had opiates in you for a while. If a low dose will end up working for your pain, you don't want to push your tolerance back up if you don't need to.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.