It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Subject: My first 3 months on Suboxone
I have been on suboxone for 3 months now and can truly say that my decision to do so has been one of the best choices I have ever made.After being prescribed a huge amount of hydro/oxycodone over a period of close to a year by a very well respected neurosurgeon in my area,my desire to continue this vicious cycle was,as most other addicts,insatiable.I had quit "cold turkey"a number of times and always found myself going back to the daily,all consuming task of using again.Ten years later,I found suboxone and realize that this is the only way to truly live a normal life without the rigors of wondering where and how I would obtain my next "fix" if you will, of oxy.I could sit here talking about all of the bad things associated with addiction that suboxone has kept me from doing,but choose to focus on what suboxone has enabled me to do,which is realize that life can be enjoyable and fulfilling after traveling down such a long hard road.I know that this episode of my life will probably never be completely behind me,but i now have a starting point.Support from family/friends is key,as i have a wonderful wife beside me.I would recommend the same decision to anyone.Thanks for reading,Bo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Bo!

I have nearly the same story as you do with years of slavery to opiates. I am only at about 5 weeks on Suboxone, but as well as you - it is the best decision I have made.

For me, it has really enabled me to face challenges that I have learned to use opiates to 'numb' some. I think the biggest issue for me is the 'hell' the opiates gave me - as I really didn't feel 'high'. I would use oxy to feel better - and to numb up a bit. I thought for a time, I was going crazy, but every time I'd try and stop them cold turkey - I failed. I realize now that this is going to be a longer path than (of course I want it all and want it now) I figured.

Do you have a plan in place with suboxone - such as maintenance for life? Do you think you will try and wean off at some future date?

Just curious. I'm going into the doctor today - and hopefully it will be a 1 month supply visit. After all the craziness/pressures of the holidays - I may look at some strategies to taper slowly down. This time, I'm getting advice, and making a plan rather than thinking I am in control. I am obviously not, or I would have just quit and been fine.

Thanks for sharing! I hope you continue to be part of the forum, and maybe join in some of the chat sessions, etc. I work - but I'm planning some of my breaks/lunch to be here. Loved your note! I second your feelings/decision - I also have a great wife, kids, and thank the Lord, I have a Job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the response lathedude.From your name I take it you may be a machinist.I am a journeyman here in Alabama,work as a millwright.As your post said,we do have alot of similarities in our addiction stories.My doctor doesn't believe in lifetime maintenance and I am struggling with the decision of changing docs or following his regimen of slowly weaning off in a year or so.Honestly,the thought of tapering off terrifies me because it is so easy to slip back into the same hell that I lived before.I guess as I learn more about my addiction,my decisions will be a little clearer.My biggest concern right now is to continue the path that I am on and enjoy this life that I had forgot existed.As I said before,Family/friends are key to success.I had to learn to put shame behind me and include my 16 & 17 y.o. kids in this process.This has paid off for me tremendously.As far as friends go,you really find out who the true ones are in times like these.Luckily,I have some great ones that I owe a huge debt to for their support.Thanks again for your response and I would like to hear from you again and compare notes,learn more about suboxone,or just plain 'ol BS.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Bo and welcome-

Glad to hear about your new outlook and fresh start.Friends and family support is very important, BUT it is also very important to educate yourself on opiate addiction and build relations with others who have traveled the same road as you. If you keep your recovery a top priority, you will do very well. Stay strong and best wishes to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the post.You are very right that educating yourself is important in this.I have been part of group meetings for people in similar situations as mine and have been thanked more than once by others that have heard my suboxone story and started maintenance themselves.There are alot of mediums out there to learn about this disease and luckily this one ,being the best by far,is here with good people like yourself to talk about these things.Thanks again for your post and happy holidays!!