It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've decide to go suboxone route. been taking about 100-140mg's oxycodone and hydrocodone combined for the past year or so. tried several times to taper and stop but no luck. the 4mg dose at 930 this morning went just fine, took the withdrawals away (mild wd's only) within about 30 min. doctor said wait a few hrs then take the other half, another 4mg and see how i feel. i took it a little while ago and feel very anxious???? almost like panicky or panic attack setting in, although mild i took a 0.25mg xanax that i have. doc said it is ok to take 1 a day if needed but not at same time as sub to wait a few hours. is this a normal reaction? think i might leave work and go home to lay down if it dont pass in a hr or so. this is a total of 8mg so far (1 pill) and doc said to take approx 16-24mg a day?? dont see that happening thats for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone generally doesn't cause anxiety - I've never heard of that before. Keep in mind you're been numbing your mind and emotions for a long time now. Now you've got all your feelings in the forefront. And it's natural to be anxious right now. Taking more sub shouldn't cause you to feel worse. Just take enough sub that it addresses your withdrawals and your cravings. That might be 8 mg or it might be 12 or more. Good luck to you and please let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for your reply. you are right i have been walking around for a while drugged up almost constantly---scary if u think about it like that. the xanax is definately helping i feel almost fine now except for a headache now but ill take that over popping 10-15 pills a day anyday.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:25 pm 
Welcome alans1976!!

Just wanted to say, i have a friend that went through a bad stage of anxiety in the beginning but after sometime it went away. Although he did get prescribed klonopin until it passed. He kinda felt the feeling of not wanting to go in public and nervous, anxious. However, he pretty much concluded that although the sub suppressed the withdrawal, their were still some issues like anxiety nervousness in the beginning that it didnt suppress. Meaning that sub takes care of most withdrawal symptoms but its not impossible to have to deal with a little discomfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for you relpy also. i feel totally fine right now except for the headache. all nervousness went away soon after the xanax. guess ill just keep a few on me for a while unitl it passes for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't think the suboxone would cause that kind of anxiety either. One other thing I would suggest - if you feel OK at 8mg of suboxone, don't take more just because the doctor said so. If 8mg per day is enough, so be it. Just take what you need to feel OK. That's what I suggest. Many people in early treatment with suboxone are, in my view, prescribed WAY too much medication. For most people 16mg per day is more than enough.

I've been abusing opiates for over 30 years and I have a higher tolerance for opioid medication than anyone I know. When I was actively abusing oxycontin, most days I took at least 600mg and that was just enough to prevent me from feeling dope sick.n When I got on suboxone, I was in severe withdrawal and was inducted at 16mg, which, looking back, was probably too much, but I didn't know any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for the info, 3 whole pills did seem like alot to me also. ive only taken 1 today and i feel totally fine right now. no way id do 2 more at this point. maybe another 1/2 of pill this evening and thats it till morning. i honestly have no cravings nor desire to even use the 'other' pills i have at home. i was so sick and tired of doctor shopping and pharmacy hopping and worrying about if i have enough to get through to my next doctor visit which was usually weekly due to my usage at the end. i'll probably wait a week or so then get rid of them so there is no temptation. thanks everyone, alot of good info on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats on getting into a SUB program first and for most. But yea I agree with Hat that the SUB should not cause that type of stress and anxiety. And don’t worry the same thing actually happen to me for the first couple days I was really on edge and just didn’t fell right but once I got use to the Sub and got deeper into my treatment plan that all went away. But you said you are taking XANNAX and your DR knows about it so I take you have some type of anxiety condition so maybe your just having the stress from that?

But keep at things will smooth out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

my usual stress/anxiety problem was much milder then what i felt yesterday. today has been fine so far. took a whole tablet this morning (8mg), gonna try to do 8 in the morning then 4mg in the evenging for a total of 12mg and see how well that works out for me. does this sound like too much still? doc suggested a 24mg daily dose but did say i may need to goup or down to suit my needs. i took the 8mg at 5am today and im hoping im fine until 5pm when i get home so i may dose 2x a day 12hrs apart then go down in dose maybe in a few days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Alans, I don't have much experience with subs. In fact, What I have learned has been through the great people here.

I do want to tell you that for me, subs took a lot of adjusting. Even may be now I still do. When I started in June of this year it was 8 mg a.m & 8mg p.m. but I wasn't feeling well. I felt like I was in mild to moderate wd.

I started with a new Sub Doctor in July and he put me on 12 mg a.m. 16 mgs. p.m. I felt better but have trouble sleeping. Now he has me on Chronic paim management which is 16mg a.m. and 16mg p.m.

Yep, I have been all over the place and am now at a high dose. At first I would take extra and end up short at the end of the month. I see my Dr. monthly and was usually sick when I got there.

I babble on with all this to tell you that it takes adjusting, it takes time and it's a hassle but it's the nature of the medicine.

Be patient and find your place in the mg. world. I have learned that you can't rush Subs.

All my best to you.

Love Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you, this board is so great. so much usefull info here its unbeleivable. i must have spent 6-8hrs on here since monday and have learned so much. thanks again everyone, im doing good so far, no cravings, no withdrawals from the perc's. woke up fine this morning and not with withdrawal setting in like i have everyday for the past yr or so while on the percs and vics. it was such a good feeling to not reach for the pill bottleS at 5-6am and not be able to function for 30 minutes. i def feel i made the right choice so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm SO very happy to hear you're doing so well. Keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

alans1976,

I'm glad the sub seems to be working so nicely for you. A few people have a little bit harder time getting on it than others and I'm just happy it's treating you so well. About the headaches, I would get them on sub when I was taking too much...translation, when I was trying to use them to get high by taking a couple 8's at a time. (Yeah, I know...dumb thing to do). Not that I'm saying that's what you're doing, not at all.

You posted earlier about not having to reach for those pill bottles at 5am, that is a beautiful feeling isn't it? How about not having to drive all over Hells half acre to find your 'meds'. I was sure happy to not be doing that anymore too. You're going to see so many positive changes as you get used to the sub and further away from the other opiates. I think you're going to be very happy.

Do you plan to stay on sub long term or short term, if you don't mind my asking? Just curious if you have even given it any thought yet?

Again, good job alans1976!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yeah i didnt like driving all over to get to 'new' pharmacies either. it was gettin so ridiculous. im not sure how long i want to be on yet. i like feeling better, if i tapered down after the first week then more the 2nd week then come off it in the third week would i be ok and free of any w/d's from the percs/hydros?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, in theory it is possible to use suboxone to taper off your DOC over a couple of weeks. But please just be aware that such a short run of sub treatment won't do much for you. Yes, it may get you through the acute withdrawals, but the really hard part is STAYING off opiates (not to mention PAWS from your DOC). Suboxone gives us time to get our shit together and fix what active addiction took from us. Please allow yourself to stabilize before you decide to get off it already. Do what you need to do to live a healthy life. You can go off suboxone anytime. I just don't you to get ahead of yourself. Lastly, just be aware that studies show that short term treatment with sub has an extremely high rate of relapse. You don't have to decide right now. Like I said, give yourself time to stabilize and start working on your life. Good luck and keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

alans1976,

You asked about a quick taper off suboxone and you were wondering if you would be free of wd's from the perc's/hydro's...that's a tough one to answer. I'm actually working with a guy, through e-mail, who tried that. He took suboxone for 16 days and quit. He still went through some wd. He was hoping the sub would kill the acute wd from the oxy's that he was taking, but it didn't quite work out. I believe he avoided some of the acute wd, but he didn't avoid it all. This is the only experience I have with what you're proposing.

I have, to date, not found any way you can avoid wd completely.

Hatmaker's reply pretty much sums up my thoughts. I would stay on sub until I had all my sh*t straight. If you already have your life back together and you're in a really good place, then a quick taper is an option...I just don't know if it's the best option?

You certainly could taper down to a low dose and maintain there for a while, then whenever you feel like it you could make the jump. This way you could be on a low dose for months if you wanted and when you decide to quit you're already at a low dose and the wd would be minimized.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope everything works out great for you.

Post subject: anxious feeling at first
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey I seen youre post and this might help.Ive been on subs for almost two years and i also suffer from anxiety attacks and panick.Well when I first started the sub I was prescribed 4 a day and now im at 3 a day and the first time I took a whole 8mg tablet I thought I was dying.Well the doc said it may been to much so I started taking a half at a time and still really anxious.To make the story short I was on a quarter of a pill forever just until I got use to the subs.Now even after almost two years im still at 2mgs at a time about 3 times a day so I usually have plenty left over for backup.Now I wouldnt trade it for anything!!!! My wife gets 120 tabs a month for pain and I dont even have the desire at all anymore.The Subs really saved my life and they really will work,just find youre right dosage and live your life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been doing much better with the anxiety. Im dosing two times a day at 4mg each. I also think in the beginning my dose was a bit high which may have caused some of my problems. Its been 2 weeks now and aside from one slip up i have taken the sub on schedule and feel better then i have in years. Thanks everyone for all the support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 am 
This is awesome news!! Glad your doing so well!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ive posted on one other thread that my Initial Evaluation Doctors appointment is on the 6th of January. I have been taking Oxycodone, Vicadin,Tramadol & Delotin Alone, Together, crushing it and snorting it for 2 1/2 years. Man when I type that its like looking at my 4th step all over again!! I am a recovering Meth addict and have been clean for 7 1/2 years. Was in a dirt bike crash 2 1/2 years ago had my spleen removed. Little did I know at the time the nightmare was beginning. At first I thought it was Heaven. Now I am in Hell. My fear is how is this stuff gonna work? Reading this thread confuses me as to the success but I know we are all different and I must take control and be concerned about me for the moment. One of my big concerns has been the anxiety issue. I see a Sports Medicine doctor now who tells me do not let your Doc give you Xanax. He told me withdrawal from that drug is way worse that opiates and it is very addicting. Someone on this site has suggested meditation. Being a speed freak and a drug addict that is a tough one for me but my best thinking got me here!!
Now I am rambling, I am grateful my wife found this sight for me and i plan on using it as a tool to get out of this Hell. I love the storys on how this stuff works great but the ones who struggle have me very scared. Thanks for listening, Motomomkey