It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just started suboxone and this is my third day. I just woke up after sleeping one hour and was freezing cold and my body temperature was about 3 degrees below normal. Other than that I have had some strange, almost hallucinogenic side effects similar to LSD. I have had an amazing amount of focus, energy, drive, motivation to do things and best of all my suicidal type depression has completely disappeared. This drug I feel has woke up part of me that has been asleep for a very long time. It has saved my life Im sure from terminal depression and also makes me wretch at the thought of drinking again.

But my main point is that I kinda feel like this drug has effects that seem to be a cross between a hydrocodone and a hallucinogen. I have trouble concentrating long enough to read while on it but can clean and organize like mad on this. I believe this drug has saved my life from depression and alcoholism / addiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Gallen,
I just posted after you in the alcohol thread. i didn't realize you were new to suboxone. But I am happy to tell you, as you can read in the other post, that suboxone has done the impossible and kept me from drinking for 16 months.

Now, as to your other question. Can you give us more info? Because that doesn't sound normal to me. What does of subs are you on? And how much were you using before you started subs?

The mental/mood things you describe are pretty typical for me. I have a ton of energy and motivation when i get clean, particularly after I stop drinking. And the concentration problems aren't unusual, they could last quite some time.

But the temperature decrease is something I haven't heard of. Do you mean you used a thermometer and your temp was really 3 degrees lower, or you just felt cold? And I don't think I've ever heard of hallucinations from subs. I think you should call you doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am on 8 mg twice a day.
Yes I woke up not just cold but in a panic about it and sat frozen in bed trying to figure out how to get more blankets on me and a sweatshirt as if I had to swim through freezing water to get to them. I was cold more than physically, it seemed almost like my being, soul and mental state was all cold. And yeah my temp was 3 degrees lower than normal and that was after I had put on a sweatshirt and wrapped up in a stadium blanket, trudged to find the thermometer, get a cover for it, woke up my mom and waited the 3 or so minutes for the thing to beep.

Regardless, Im staying on suboxone. Last time I drank I tried to commit suicide.
Also, I was not addicted to opiates when I went to get suboxone, I was hooked on alcohol but knew subox would help. I just drank some methadone from a buddy of mine the week before so my system would be dirty. Not that I have never been addicted. I was a Pharmacist for 10 years and on hydrocodone 9 and 1/2 of those years before getting busted outside of my place of business and going to prison. My story is too long to get started on but am glad I found suboxone as well as this forum. Working the steps with my AA sponsor later today with a new lease on life.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Additionally I slept about 45 minutes last night and around 1 hour the night before and this is my third day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The side effects you are describing are not usual. I believe that because you are more or less opiate-naive that being on 16 mg is simply WAY too high a dose that you need. Suboxone is VERY strong and is known to make people sick if they are not already opiate dependent. It's my opinion that you have two choices - be honest with your doctor and get your dose lowered or keep doing as you are and treat yourself and lower your dose yourself. Problem with that is you're playing your own doctor, which is what we did in active addiction. But you're the only one who can decide how to handle this.

But in short, my non-medical opinion (I'm no doctor) is that you're on WAY too high a dose and it's making you sick.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yep, I bet you are right. I will cut the dose down. Regarding my doctor I answered him honestly regarding my last useage and amount as well as describing my alcoholism. Also told him I felt suboxone with my 12 step AA is my only hope of survival AT THIS TIME. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Gallen, I agree that your dose is way too high. You might even try cutting down to 4 mgs? Taken twice a day. You really only want to take the BARE MINIMUM to keep the cravings away. Especially since you weren't addicted to opiates.

Are you also possibly suffering from alcohol withdrawal? Some of your symptoms really sound like it to me. Did you just stop drinking?

Like I said, alcohol had me further down than opiates every did for the most part. I don't blame you for taking the sub route to get off of it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:05 pm 
OK Hatmaker, help me. This pharmacist is an alcoholic. I was told suboxone does not detox patients from alcohol. I understand he took some methadone to get the script. I know short term use of benzos, some antidepressants and some alcohol abstinence meds (antabuse and the new one) help alcoholism. Well...... and the follow up.

Number 2, isn't 16mg equal to about 240mg of oxycodone? I thought Dr. Junig said 4mg of sub equals about 60 mg of oxycodone? Maybe I just don't know about the alcohol piece. I would be stoned out of my mind on 240 mg of oxy that had a 36 hour half life as well. Did he say anywhere that he is still taking opiates??

Thanks for any info you can provide me, XOXXO as always

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My understanding is the original poster wasn't addicted or even dependent on opiates when s/he started sub, but just had taken methadone so s/he could piss dirty for the UA to start suboxone. Some people have been so desperate with alcoholism and/or depression that they've resorted to trying sub off label for either of those conditions. I'm guessing that's what the OP was doing but I don't/didn't want to assume anything. I was just focusing on the effects of the sub and why the OP was likely having that reaction to it.

Usually doctors don't convert how many mg people are taking to decide induction mg for their sub dosage. Many docs just induce people at the same amount (I know, right?), like it sounds like the OP's doc did. That's not to say some doctors don't do it more specifically.

Is that what you were looking for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:07 pm 
Totally Hat. In your experience does suboxone help with alcohol detox? Maybe this dude is on to something, after all
he says he is a pharmacist. THX!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know about alcohol detox, but it seems to help with alcohol cravings. I believe there are or have been studies in the works regarding suboxone and alcoholism but I can't find any at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am drawing to close my first week on suboxone and it has eliminated all urges for cigarettes and alcohol as well as opiates for me . After my initial struggles on 8mg twice a day, I cut my self down to 2 mg twice a day and I feel much better. However I have developed bumps all over my body and am having trouble breathing as well as sweating a lot and getting hot flashed in the head and chest area. I;m pretty sure I must be allergic to buprenorpine or naloxone. I am going to the doctor in the morning and am still dizzy all the time. I h avent really treated myself for allergic reaction as it doesnt seem life threatening and i want the doctor to see the unsullied results of the treatment. I will keep you informed and I hope i will have options tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So you went from 16 mg down to 4 mg all on your own? I wouldn't suggest messing with your dose like that - especially in the first week of treatment. You could be experiencing withdrawals from dropping so low so fast. The "hot flashes" or sweats are normal side effects of the bupe treatment. I'm not saying you can't be allergic, I'm just pointing out what I think is going on.

You need to get to a stable dose and stay there for at least a couple of weeks, in my opinion. You aren't going to feel better until you do that. And your doctor can't really help you until you do that either. Again, just my opinion. Hang in there! And thanks for keeping us updated.

Post subject: 2 months in
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After 2 months most of the side effects i experienced have subsided. I have been stablized on a dosage of 4 mg twice a day and also had the chew tabs replaced by the film. I still get daytime drowsiness with the inability to actuallly sleep more than a few hours at a time. Zero alcohol or drug cravings and totally stopped smoking cigs with no problem. Also my cymbalta has been cut in half to 30 mg daily and have been able to go off both of my blood pressure meds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:26 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

gallendodds wrote:
I am on 8 mg twice a day.
Yes I woke up not just cold but in a panic about it and sat frozen in bed trying to figure out how to get more blankets on me and a sweatshirt as if I had to swim through freezing water to get to them. I was cold more than physically, it seemed almost like my being, soul and mental state was all cold. And yeah my temp was 3 degrees lower than normal and that was after I had put on a sweatshirt and wrapped up in a stadium blanket, trudged to find the thermometer, get a cover for it, woke up my mom and waited the 3 or so minutes for the thing to beep.

Regardless, Im staying on suboxone. Last time I drank I tried to commit suicide.
Also, I was not addicted to opiates when I went to get suboxone, I was hooked on alcohol but knew subox would help. I just drank some methadone from a buddy of mine the week before so my system would be dirty. Not that I have never been addicted. I was a Pharmacist for 10 years and on hydrocodone 9 and 1/2 of those years before getting busted outside of my place of business and going to prison. My story is too long to get started on but am glad I found suboxone as well as this forum. Working the steps with my AA sponsor later today with a new lease on life.

I'm experiencing the same thing right now. Had induction at noon. Tried taking a nap at 5:30 and had sever hypertension and had a headache. I took an aspirin and was freezing a half an hour later. It seems like I've been in withdrawals the past couple hours or so and its now just starting to subside. i don't feel nearly as well as I did around 2pm today. Whats up with this? allergic reaction? partial withdrawal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Did you drink alcohol alot? Those weird visions around day three would match up with alcohol withdrawal. The energy post matches up with alcohol withdrawal as well. You should probably be detoxing in the hospital as you are at risk for a seizure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:54 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

no i don't drink alcohol. I take .125 mg clonazepam about twice a week. thats about it. I think im taking too large of dose. I think I need less than 1 mg in the morning and evening. Or maybe I need to bump up to the ceiling (4mg)?