It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: First day....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this website as I was trying to decide whether or not to take Suboxone. This whole process has been so scary and uncomfortable, physically and mentally, and so far this forum has helped about as much as anything can. I just took my first dose of Suboxone after waiting roughly 30 hours after my last Vicodin. The past day-and-a-half, no scrap that, the past few months, have been hellish. Coming to terms with the fact that I am actually addicted to something, trying to taper off the 12 Vicodin a day habit I had developed and failing, scrambling to be sure I had a new prescription lined up before my pills ran out, spending every last penny on getting those pills, it's a never-ending cycle. It's unbelievable how fast it all happens. I have no idea what to expect now. I am terrified that I'm trading one addiction for another, but my plan is to just follow my doctor's orders, see a counselor, and hope for the best. The one thing I do know for certain is that the life I'm hoping to leave behind was leading nowhere good.

Thanks for reading and best wishes to all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey and welcome! I am glad that you have takin the step away from active addiction. I think the best thing I can tell you is. If you really really want to quit pills then the suboxone will work for you. And. I do not believe you are trading one addiction for another. You are goin to improve your life. No more waiting by the phone for someone to call you saying they got pills for you. No more trying to find money and selling things you like for pills. Good luck to you! It will work if you want it to!

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So far, so good... I want this to work more than I've ever wanted anything. I appreciate the note Thesphinx. It's nice to know I'm not alone with this (though I wouldn't wish it on anyone)...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello waterbug and welcome to the forum and to addiction remission. I, too, do not believe being on sub is trading one addiction for another. Yes, with suboxone we are dependent on it, but we are not addicted to it like we were on vicodin or whatever other drug we were taking. Our addiction caused all sorts of self-destructive behaviors and damaged or destroyed our relationships, jobs, and perhaps even our freedom. With suboxone, we finally have the opportunity to recover and repair that which we have lost and/or damaged. I hope this helps you to understand the difference a little bit better.

Good luck with everything and please do let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Waterbug,

I'm happy you found your way off of Vicoden and found your way onto Suboxone. I sure many, if not all, of us can relate to your story. Spending almost every waking hour thinking about our pills, wondering how were going to get our next 'fix' of pills.....Ugh, it's insane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

congrats on getting on subs. i just wanted to say that this seems to be a common concern on these forums regarding trading one addiction for another. i think alot of people think about addiction as physical dependence ONLY. they dont take into account that there are many mental changes as well as other changes that dont involve jsut being in withdrawals when we dont have the drug. there is the seeking of the drug and the lying and stealing and cheating, the withdrawing fro life in genera and amily and friends, when we are in active addiction we are doing everything ass backwards and it messes everything up becaue drugs are our priority. however when you start sub and start seeing a counselor or going to meetings things begin to change; you wont think about pills except when you go to take your sub, you wont lie and cheat and steal to get your drug and you will start becoming friendly with old friends and family. these things i just listed are things that change positively whenw e start sub which means that we are no longer in active addiction. this is why i beleive that using subs is NOT trading one addiction for another.

anyways good luck on subs hope everything is ok

Post subject: Congrats
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:23 pm 

That's great news Waterbug! No more active addiction. How does it feel not being a slave to the Vicodin monster?

And don't even think that Sub is another addiction. Once you're settled and have dealt with the ritual of using, which may take a year or more, then you can start a slow taper. But it's up to you and your doctor to decide on the treatment length and how much Sub you'll take.

I came here several months ago and found these folks to be honest and very helpful with my addiction issues. You'll receive the same, so Welcome!

Enjoy your new life....again.

Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all of your kind words. It's a been a few days now; started out kind of rough because my doctor prescribed a bit too much for me, but after speaking with him, cutting my dose in half, and giving it some time, I am starting to see how this might really be a positive step forward in my life. I appreciate all the support, it helps to go back and read these posts when I'm doubting myself. And you are all so right, it's so nice not to be wondering where my next pill is coming from. What a mess it all becomes. I look forward to the day that I am truly free of all of this.

Best wishes!

Post subject: Re: First day....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

waterbug1 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this website as I was trying to decide whether or not to take Suboxone. This whole process has been so scary and uncomfortable, physically and mentally, and so far this forum has helped about as much as anything can. I just took my first dose of Suboxone after waiting roughly 30 hours after my last Vicodin. The past day-and-a-half, no scrap that, the past few months, have been hellish. Coming to terms with the fact that I am actually addicted to something, trying to taper off the 12 Vicodin a day habit I had developed and failing, scrambling to be sure I had a new prescription lined up before my pills ran out, spending every last penny on getting those pills, it's a never-ending cycle. It's unbelievable how fast it all happens. I have no idea what to expect now. I am terrified that I'm trading one addiction for another, but my plan is to just follow my doctor's orders, see a counselor, and hope for the best. The one thing I do know for certain is that the life I'm hoping to leave behind was leading nowhere good.

Thanks for reading and best wishes to all....

I was going to introduce myself because I'm new here also, but your words are mine exactly! I start my Suboxone treatment friday. The doctor told me no more Vic/'tabs after Wednesday morning 8:00am, he wants to see me Friday at 10:00am, said he'll do an assessment, paperwork, then give me a 'script. After I have it filled, he instructed me to bring the bottle back to his office and take the first Suboxone pill in front of him, then wait 1 hour in his waiting room before I go home with my pills.

I've been on the merry-go-round of pills for over 7 years, using 10-16 per day (normally 12 #10's) just to stabalize. It all just became too much, I've tried hundreds of times to "taper" nothing works. This is my last chance. From what I've read and from what I've gathered from Youtube vids, Suboxone will give my life back....I hope it works, I pray it works, I can't live like this anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Rachael4341,

I hope I can offer you some words of encouragement and comfort. It has been just about a week now since I started Suboxone and I feel better than I have felt in a very long time. I feel like I'm starting to get my life back. I am not wondering where my next pill will come from nor am I constantly thinking about Vicodin. It is such a relief and I'm so thankful that I put all of my worries and second-guessing aside and just went with the treatment. The first few days were rocky, but once I got past the part where you have to wait for withdrawals to set it (I waited a very long time) and once my doctor and I got my dosage correct, things started to get much easier. Now comes the part where I learn how to be happy again without pills. I start counseling next week, and in the meantime will continue with the Suboxone, because for me it really has been a second chance. Good luck to you! I'm sending good thoughts your way!!!

Best wishes....