It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My first day on Suboxone
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. Today I just began taking Suboxone 8mg. The doctor told me that it was vitally important that I take this medication as prescribed. $939.00 for 120 pills with no insurance. The instructions on the bottle say that I should take 4 pills 4x daily. Since that would be 1 tablet every 6 hours do I need to set my alarm clock so that I take it when I'm asleep or can I tak 2 in the am then the other 2 every 6 hours? His office is closed now so I can't call him until tomorrow. What should I do? Just don't want to mess things up for myself since I have never been able to take any drug as prescribed with any success. Thanks in advance. I'm glad to have found this site. Joe

Last edited by Joe L on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Joe,

Welcome!! I will give my opinion but first I am not a docter just an addict and you should talk with your dr. first. With that said 8mgs 4 times a day seems like alot. How are you feeling on 8mgs? What is your drug of choice? how much were you taking?

I only ask because I people can help you judge your dose a little better with that info. Suboxone has a very long halflife, like 37hours. So you will have 1/2 the dose you took today still in your system tomarro and 32mgs a day thats alot.

If your feeling no w/ds or cravings at 8mgs than I would suggest you not take anymore untill tomarro. Or take 16mgs or what ever makes you not feel sick. Taking to much may cause you to get really tired at least thats what it did for me anyway.

As far as having to set a alarm for doses I would say no most people only dose once a day inless for pain then thay take same 2-4mgs throughout the day most leading up to 16mgs and under.

I wish you the best and hope to here from you soon! Good luck and best wishes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm feeling better than I have in years. Been addicted to opiates since the late 70's. My drug of choice was usually oxycontin 80's, percocet and vicodin. Been in 21 treatment centers since 1986 with the last one in 2009. Did all the aa/na mtgs, steps, sponser, counseling, etc. The most sobriety I could ever put together at one time since 1986 was about 2.3 years. Never tried suboxone or methodone in my life. I used to look down on people who chose this form of recovery....but not any more. I believe that I have some hope now and for the first time in my life I feel normal and not depressed and thinking about using drugs.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry about posting here. I thought the thread was "introduction" but I see that this thread is "Induction" :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Joe, I posted under your other thread in the Introduction category, but I wanted to say this: With your long history and since you're feeling really good at 32 mg, I would just follow the doctor's order for now (with the exception of getting up in the night to dose). Good luck and I hope to see more of you around here.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Seeing as I am not sure it matters where you put the post.....I'm going to be lazy and respond here since I landed here first :-) I agree with what has already been said. If it was me, I would stay on the lowest dose I needed to keep withdrawal away and to prevent cravings. Keep in mind that it takes a couple weeks to really stabilize so DON'T tell the doctor that you are happy on let's say 8mg (since that is lower) until at least 3 weeks have gone by. It is easy to go down in dose but going up can be tricky with the doctor. I realize this isn't entirely honest but unfortunately they make it that way sometimes. After a couple of months on a stable dose, I would read up on here about the film and then switch to the film. Everyone says you get better absorbtion which means that you could stretch it out farther and pay for far fewer of them.

Congratulations on your recovery! I remember the feeling when I first started suboxone and I was shocked that they even made something that could make me feel normal. It was and is like a miracle for me.....as long as I keep taking it :-)

Take care!
Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

so hows the feeling joe?

i heard that it has side effect but i don't

think it's true because it has not yet proven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Only 2 side effects right now. I wake up with a headache each morning but that dissipates within an hour and the other is I'm not sleeping as well as I should. Being that this is only day 3 on subs I'm hoping these little inconveniences will disappear in time. I'd rather deal with these side effects rather than active addiction coupled with full blown withdrawals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Joe - Going back to your dose, it's possible that you're having trouble sleeping because you're dosing close to bedtime. Some people have had that problem and when they didn't take their sub within several hours before bed, the problem subsided. With that said, however, I know you're under strict doctor's orders to dose several times a day. But I just wanted to throw that out there. Feel better soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Hey Joe - Going back to your dose, it's possible that you're having trouble sleeping because you're dosing close to bedtime. Some people have had that problem and when they didn't take their sub within several hours before bed, the problem subsided. With that said, however, I know you're under strict doctor's orders to dose several times a day. But I just wanted to throw that out there. Feel better soon.

Well, I decided that I'm going to taper down from 4 a day to 3. I know my body and 4x seems like too much. I will take my last dose about 9pm while at work. Today I go back to work from 1pm-11pm Wed-Sat. This will be my first day on the job in a long time without my opiate crutch. Feeling a little nervous about that but at least I'm not dope sick. Ironically, I work in mental health and have been struggling for years to keep mine in tact lol. Thanks for your suggestion "Hat". Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Dear Joe,

I don't have anything to add to what had already been said. I just wanted to say that I was delighted to read that you felt better upon taking the Sub. It was that way for me too, and I remember the feeling of pure astonishment that I could actually feel normal again. It had been years and years since I had been able to feel this way. What a miracle.

I hope you will continue to feel good and find that you'll be able to work and lead a normal life with the help of this medication. It is so wonderful when we don't have to worry about hiding our addiction anymore. It is like being let out of jail!

Regards,
Rossma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Joe!

I wanted to add to what everyone told you, because I started on 24mg - which I was told was high. Just a bit of background : I am 27 year old female who was addicted to H for almost a year. I am on day 20 clean and free as of today!

At first, I could not sleep, had no energy, had tummy aches and headaches. I figured most of that was from my body adjusting. Oh yeah, I also had a kidney infection that I found out on day 1! So that didn't help and added fever and pain! Anyway, the last week or so, the only side effect I really have had was trouble sleeping and no energy. I decided to lower my dose a bit and see if I noticed a difference. One day I took 2 1/2 pills ( 20mg) the next day 2 pills (16mg) and decided to stay there for a bit. I have MUCH more energy and sleeping better than ever!! I wonder if it'd get better if I went to 8 but I dont wanna mess with my body too much, so I will experiment with that down the road.

I hope you find that this site helps you , like it does for me. I have had a few moments where they seemed horrible but I find myself coming on here during those times and either read, write or chat with someone else. It has been great for me. I prefer this over NA because I am pretty shy and would rather not talk out loud.

Jessica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I forgot to add that my headaches went away when I stopped swallowing my spit after they dissolved. My Dr never told me that swallowing can cause headaches from the naltronex or whatever that N word is thats with the bupe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

missH wrote:
I forgot to add that my headaches went away when I stopped swallowing my spit after they dissolved. My Dr never told me that swallowing can cause headaches from the naltronex or whatever that N word is thats with the bupe!

Thanks Miss H. I'll try not swallowing to see if that works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I made it through my first day of work on subs. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. You know how hard we can be on ourselves. Felt great having my heart and soul back in to doing what i love at work. I only took 3 subs today and what a noticeably different feeling. I'm still in awe at how much this suboxone has changed my outlook on life and myself. For the first time since many years ago, I feel like a real live human being....a man. Even the depression is gone :o I'm grateful to have stumbled onto this site. You guys/gals are going to be my family for the long haul. Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and support so far. Got a long way to go but it's comforting to know that we're all in this together and learning from each other. Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joe.. PLEASE don't take 32mg of sub a DAY! I know recovering heroin addicts that are only on 1 pill a day, if that. A lot of doctors want money so just be sure you know the kind of person your doctor is. Suboxone is very strong.. take one pill and see how you feel all day first before you take 4... that's insane! I was using oxys/heroin and I only ever had to take 2mg a day.. I am now 10 days off sub.. I know how you're feeling alive on suboxone after opiates because I felt the same.. but let me tell you my friend.. nothing compared to how I feel now.. I've never felt so alive in my life. I'm free. Try and make suboxone short term as it does still numb you to some extent.. further down the road on your own time you'll figure it out. Good luck any questions just ask.

~Cheryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

luvlafdesign wrote:
Joe.. PLEASE don't take 32mg of sub a DAY! I know recovering heroin addicts that are only on 1 pill a day, if that. A lot of doctors want money so just be sure you know the kind of person your doctor is. Suboxone is very strong.. take one pill and see how you feel all day first before you take 4... that's insane! I was using oxys/heroin and I only ever had to take 2mg a day.. I am now 10 days off sub.. I know how you're feeling alive on suboxone after opiates because I felt the same.. but let me tell you my friend.. nothing compared to how I feel now.. I've never felt so alive in my life. I'm free. Try and make suboxone short term as it does still numb you to some extent.. further down the road on your own time you'll figure it out. Good luck any questions just ask.

I would very much like to see studies/evidence that suboxone "numbs". I've been on it now for almost two years. Everyone around me can attest to the same thing I would - that my emotions run the gamut and always have. Suboxone has not "numbed" me to any extent, nor has it numbed anyone else I personally know who is on it. Do you have a source to cite?

Dr Junig has suggested before that on this forum it is much more responsible to discuss our own experiences as a unique individual than to make sweeping, generalized statements that are offered as fact ("suboxone makes you numb").

Lastly, it's one thing to explain why an individual feels someone's doctor is acting unprofessionally, but imploring someone to disregard their doctor's orders because you had different needs is irresponsible in and of itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
luvlafdesign wrote:

I would very much like to see studies/evidence that suboxone "numbs". I've been on it now for almost two years. Everyone around me can attest to the same thing I would - that my emotions run the gamut and always have. Suboxone has not "numbed" me to any extent, nor has it numbed anyone else I personally know who is on it. Do you have a source to cite?

Dr Junig has suggested before that on this forum it is much more responsible to discuss our own experiences as a unique individual than to make sweeping, generalized statements that are offered as fact ("suboxone makes you numb").

Lastly, it's one thing to explain why an individual feels someone's doctor is acting unprofessionally, but imploring someone to disregard their doctor's orders because you had different needs is irresponsible in and of itself.

Yep, I agree, there's a little bit of a holier than thou tone in that post too, which I don't appreciate at all, even though it wasn't directed at me. There is nothing "numb" about my life on suboxone. I go to work every day, interact with my friends and coworkers, got back into my hobbies and generally improved my life by a gigantic margin the day I started taking suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I never felt numb on Sub either, just normal for the first time in years. But I have to say, 32mg daily seems like a HUGE dose, and doctors in the UK would never prescribe so much.They would rather the patient reduces their d.o.c. intake to the point where 10-12 mg of Sub is effective. Rarely will they prescribe more than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I definitely do not feel numb. In fact, it's nice to have my feelings back and the depression completely eliminated. I am down to 3 subs per day and I feel better at that dosage than when I was taking 4. I am going to see how I feel on 2 1/2 per day next week then down to 2 the week after. I'll probably remain at 2 doses providing I feel ok until I see my doctor on November 2nd at which time I will tell him that I have lowered my intake. To be perfectly frank, I trust the knowledgeable members on this forum better than I do my doctor who only spent 30min with me and seemed more interested in receiving his money upfront rather than my well-being. Thanks, Joe