It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]

Hello all....well I finally made the decision to put an end to my crazy Oxycodone addicted life and today is the first day of my sober life. I have been taking oxy's for over three years, the last year was my worst. For about 6 months I was taking about 20-30 15 mg oxy's a day. I did cut that down and for the past 3-4 months I have been taking about 4-6 30 mg oxy's a day. I tried to detox myself and after 7 days of pure hell I could no longer take how I was feeling and started taking pills again. It was 42 hours after my last 30 mg oxy, I was going through withdrawals and I took my first 8 mg suboxone at 1:00pm today. I am very happy to say that I feel good. The w/d's feelings have stopped, I have a little bit of a headache but feel good otherwise. I am excited to hear and chat with other people in treatment. I pray that we all get through this, we all have a happy life to loo forward to. Good luck to all....

Thank you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome PMD! Congratulations on your first day! I am glad you are feeling good. I too found on the first day I got a headache but that went away over time and it wasn't anything a little ibufrofin didn't kick anyways. I haven't seen you around the forum so I will assume this is the first you have really posted. There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum and a lot of wonderful people really willing to help you through your journey. I hope you will stick around and help others as well.

Take care!
Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you Cherie....That was my first post. I have been reading other posts, trying to get info about suboxne before I started treatment. I was nervous and still am a bit, but I feel like it was the best choice for me. I am hoping for the best.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:34 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Welcome PMD. So happy to have you here! I remember the first day I took the suboxone! I was so incredibly happy and still am! I am going into my 11th week on the Suboxone.... I was in the same boat you were with the pills..... I have to say, I can't say enough good things about the Subs...... I too had headaches but they eventually went away. The few side effects that I had were nothing in comparison to the relief that I feel.

Welcome and best of luck. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Best, FAD

Post subject: Welcome!
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi PMD and WELCOME to the forum! Congratulations on your first day of recovery/remission. I'm so glad to hear you're doing well on the suboxone. We're glad you're here. I hope you get as much support from this forum as I have.
Again, welcome and keep posting.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

FAD....thank you for your post. I have had a really good first day. I am very surprised at how well I feel. Congrats to you, 11 weeks is great. How do you feel? Do you still have cravings? Do you have good and bad days? I am hoping that I feel this good each day and within a few weeks I feel alot better.

HATMAKER....thank you for your support. I have found so much helpful information on this site, it has been great. So many people have shared so much info.

Best of luck to you both....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:56 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi PMD,
So sorry I didn't respond to your thread yesterday -- or answer your questions.....I have to say that I have felt GREAT the entire time I have been on subs. I have absolutely no complaints! I don't have any cravings either -- which is so odd..... For the first 3 weeks I had a prescription of vics waiting for me at the pharmacy (I finally went by and told the pharmacist that I was an addict -- boy did that feel awesome!) and I never had any desire to pick them up! That was so bizarre to me. I mean -- I have NEVER not picked up a prescription.....

I wish that I had found this drug a very long time ago!!!! I really think, that for me, this is my anti-depressant and I am planning to stay on this for the rest of my life.... Or for a long time anyway :):)

So thanks for asking. I really hope you are doing well.... How is day 3???? What mgs. are you taking? And are you taking it once a day, twice a day? Let me know! Best, FAD

Post subject: My first day as well!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone! Yesterday was my first day on Suboxone as well. About 5 years ago I started taking Tylenol PM's to help sleep as I was in the Army and had a terrible time sleeping. After a kidney stone removal procedure I was given anything I wanted to help with pain. The doctor gave me anything and whatever amount I wanted. I found that opiates were helping me sleep like a baby. After a certain time the opiates stopped helping me sleep and did quite the opposite. I was full of energy and was happy doing anything as long as I was on something, percocets, lortab, etc. About 3 years ago, I began taking opiates in any amount I could find them. It was not uncommon for me to take 15 to 20, 10 mg percocets or lortabs a day. I have many failed attempts to quit under my belt. Including 2 seperate doctor assisted attempts. Those 2 doctor assisted times, there was never mention of a Suboxone option. I am assuming they didn't talk about it because they were not authorized to dispense it. I started suboxone just like you are supposed to. I was 40 hrs into withdrawl and basically begging for death when I put that first pill under my tongue. 10 minutes after taking my first dose, my shakes stopped. Another 30 minutes and I was completely withdrawl free. I still feel like that now. I did get a headache as well, and did not sleep last night at all but am very happy with the results thus far. My only concern now is the cost. It is so ridiculously expensive that it would be cheaper to continue my normal dependency on opiates. I am currently trying to convince the Manuf. of or whoever I need to, to give coupons or some kind of help with the financial part. I know that it is possible to qualify for discounts through the manufacturer, however, they mail you the prescription. Obviously someone is not thinking. This drug is for people dependent on opiates, there is no way I could ever rely on the mailing system to get my prescription. Things always happen that will delay your prescription from getting to you on a certain day, and as we all know. When an addict needs a refill,,,,,,,,they need it NOW! There is no room in my addicted mind for mail errors. Does anyone know of any other way to get the cost of the prescription down? I dont have insurance. Is it possible to get some cheap insurance now and have them help? Or would that be a pre-existing condition? Either way, I am proud of everyone who is getting help, we must stay together and talk each other through all of this. Anyone can email me with any comments about anything, I am sure I can relate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum, Minus,
There's a patient-assistance program. As far as I know it is NOT through the mail. My understanding is that doctors get a certain number of patients that can be on that program. You go see your doctor and you get your pills right then and there. We have at least one member here on that program (that's how they described the program to us). Hopefully they will chime in.

Again welcome to the forum. I hope you find as much support here as I have.

Post subject: Day 4!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I suppose now that it is day 4 I should post this on a different subject. Either way, it is day 4 and things are getting a little strange. To this point, I still have not had any withdrawls since I started taking subs. The headaches are very consistent but can be taken care of with minimal OTC APAP. Sleep is still very hard to come by. I find myself only sleeping through the night every 3-4 days, and only sleeping then because of the lack of sleep from the previous nights over-powering my inability to sleep. I cannot blame the subs for the lack of sleep as this has been a problem since 2004.

I am starting to feel very strange side affects. The first noticeable problem is the terrible taste in my mouth. Not the taste of the subs, but throughout the day being on subs. Food is tasting very unpleasant with sometimes no taste at all. My tongue will sometimes be completely numb for a period of time. I drink enormous amounts of liquid but only urinate once or twice a day. The worst of it all is probably the nausea and vomiting. Not because of the normal uncomfortable feeling of throwing up, but because the vomit itself is so dry that it gets stuck in my throat and almost makes me choke. I also have a strange feeling that I can only explain with the word, "drugged." Its a drugged feeling that does not go away all day long. Does anyone have any suggestions as why these symptoms exist? or a way to avoid some of them? Could my dosage be too high? I can tell you this, the first sub I took made me very High! I thought it was not supposed to do that? It has not made me high since but still.

I realize this all sounds terrible but it is all manageable. Its worth it to me to be off of my regular poison. I have a feeling these symptoms will all begin to fade with time. Some good things are that I do not want an opiate other than subs at all. I feel like I could skip a day or two of the subs, so I know I am not dependent on them thus far. I am spending more time with my son as I am not looking for opiates. I am all-together genuinely happy with life.

Post subject: Day ONE
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is my first day on Suboxone. I've had an opiate problem for ten years now and am just now coming to terms with it and trying to 'nip it in the bud'. I've been prescribed 7.5/500 Hydrocodone 60 a month for over a few years. I always run out after about a week. Then I would do whatever needed to get more, whether that meant stealing them, buying them, or buying them online, whatever it took. I was sick of it. So yesterday I made an appt. with a doctor, saw the doctor last night(it was both amazing and a miracle that the doctor accepted patients as late as 6:30 and just happened to work me in last night), and took my first dose this morning. I am prescribed 8/2 twice a day. I didn't know what to expect, so I broke it in half, and an hour later took the other half. I'm so glad to have found this forum! It's so informative and comforting to know that others are going through the same thing I am. I've also experienced headaches today, and I hope these go away with time. I've read on a few of these threads that I'm not supposed to swallow until after 10-15 minutes? I'm very green, first day to use SUB, so I was wondering if I'm taking it the right way? Holding under my tongue until it dissolves? Also, I take xanax. I've only taken 1 1/2 milligrams (a blue and a half) today, and surprisingly I feel fine. Im used to taking 4 mg a day, so I'm wondering, is anyone else out there also taking xanax with your sub? I hope to find support here and answewrs and also help anyone with knowledge that I gain as well. Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi jin and welcome - to the forum and to your addiction remission. I'm so glad to hear you're doing well since starting sub.

Yes, some people do hold the sub in their mouth for as long as possible after it dissolves. Personally, I'm unable to hold it very long - that's just me. If your headaches continue, you could consider spitting it out instead of swallowing. I've heard from many people who do that and it reduces or removes their headaches.

Regarding the xanax - please be very careful. Is your sub doc the one prescribing it? Does s/he know you're taking it? The two together - sub and xanax - can be a dangerous combination - they both depress the respiratory system. I'm no doctor, but the lower dose of xanax you take is probably best.

Again, welcome! I hope you stick around and keep posting. We're glad you found us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the reply Hatmaker. Yes, my sub doc knows I am taking xanax but she said the same thing: be very careful w/ the xanax. That's why I'm trying my best not to take it unless I absolutely have to. I hope to wean myself off the xanax completely. I really only took the xanax in the past when I ran out of hydros...it seemed to make the withdrawals less painful.
My question is this: When you said I could spit it out, wouldn't I be spitting out my medicine? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you elaborate a bit? Does the SUB absorb into my mouth? What is leftover that I spit out? Again I apologize, I'm just confused. I thought I was supposed to swallow it after it dissolved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, you let the pill dissolve under your tongue. Once it's completely dissolved, hold the saliva/sub "juices" in your mouth for as long as you can. Believe it or not, some people hold it in their mouth for up to 45 minutes. Like I said, I personally can't do that. Just keep it in your mouth, maybe swish it around letting all of it dissolve, then either swallow or spit it out. The medicine is absorbed through the membranes in your mouth, not just under your tongue, but your gums, the inside of your cheeks, etc. What's left is the inert naltrexone, which isn't absorbed that way. (The naltrexone is added to prevent people from shooting up the drug).

There's also one other method for taking it to get maximum absorption. (You can read all about this on the forum as well as on Dr. Junig's blog.) For this method, you chew the pill between your FRONT teeth and take what's left, a sort of paste, and use your tongue to swipe it all over the inside of your mouth. It's quicker than waiting for it to dissolve, then - again - hold what's left in your mouth as long as you can.

Regardless of what way you take it, don't eat or drink anything for about 15-20 minutes afterward.

I really hope this is clearer for you. Keep in mind I'm not a doctor or chemist, this is just what I've learned over the past year and a half. Perhaps others can chime in and explain it better?

Again, welcome - we're so glad you found us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

PMD--congrats to you for taking this big step! I wish you the best in the days to come. Things will get better, just hang in there.

Jin--congrats to you too. I was on Suboxone for almost 2 and half years. I had read and heard a lot about how to correctly take medication. However, just like Hatmaker, never was I able to keep the sub under my tongue for that long, let alone hold on the the salvia for long after that! From my experience, I would take the sub, then talk on the phone, smoke a cig, or swish it around under my tongue so it would dissolve quickly because the taste of it never appealed to me. Even with all of this, I still felt the effects of the Suboxone, could always tell when I had just took it, it just didn't seem like I had to work that hard to make sure the medication got into my system. Everybody is different, though. You might have to experiement to find out what works best for you.

About the xanax. When I had my first appointment with my sub doc he told me right then and there that it was too dangerous to take benzo's while on the suboxone, and that if I failed a urine test with the benzo's in my system that I would most likely be kicked out of the practice, just because of how dangerous it is to take the two together. Granted, I never had taken a benzo in my life, never had an issue with it. But from what I understand, the two meds taken together is dangerous. I hope that you are able to figure out how to get off the xanax, just to be safe, but like I said, I haven't ever taken one before, let alone be addicted to it, so I can only tell you what I have heard from my doc, and from what I have read.

Either way, congrats to you for taking this step. It is huge. As long as you work hard in your recovery, you will soon see what good things will come your way.

Take care, Sarah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 pm 
Welcome newcomers and congratulations on starting your recovery.

Minus- your post concerned me because of all the side effects I've heard reported, I haven't heard of anyone experiencing what you're describing. You shouldn't be vomiting, experiencing numbnes or retaining tons of water. I would definately contact your doctor ASAP. As far as feeling buzzed from your dose, that is not uncommon and usually only lasts a couple of days until the Sub level in your body reaches a steady state.

Good luck all,
Lilly