It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,
Today I started Suboxone. I was very fortunate in that my insurance allows me to get it for only $40. After a lot of procrastination, I admitted to my doctor that I was, in fact, an opiate addict. For about eighteen months, I was taking between 40mg-60mg of Hydrocodone a day. From what I've read online, my habit wasn't nearly as bad as some others (I've read some people were upwards of 100mg a day on hydrocodone), but I chose to get help because it wasn't unrealistic to think I could eventually be taking that much.

My addiction didn't begin with having actual pain and being prescribed pain killers. I had always been a fan of the occasional vicodin, but it went from recreational fun to a necessity. I've driven myself into thousands of dollars in debt. I've become unemployed. If I ran out of my pills, I would panic. The withdrawals were always horrible, but I never went more than a day without getting more somehow (stealing money, lying for money, etc). I finally decided enough was enough and talked to my doctor about it.

She prescribed me the Suboxen strips, 8mg/2mg (a month supply). She didn't seem to be very well-informed with the drug, however. She told me to take one to two strips a day, and while I'm no doctor, I read enough online to feel comfortable saying that is too much for somehow with my specific habit.

I wanted to avoid precipitated withdrawal, so I took my last vicodin at about 12:30 last night. I then slept in as late as I could so as to get further into withdrawal. I woke up at 1:00 this afternoon, and waited until about 2:30 to take the suboxen. I chose to take 1/4 of a strip. After 15 minutes, the withdrawals began to subside. After an hour, I was amazed at how good I felt.

I didn't feel "high" or get euphoria; I just felt "normal". It's wonderful. However, at around 4:30 I suddenly began feeling dizzy and slightly nauseous, along with an overwhelming desire to sleep. I'm confused as to why id feel this way a couple of hours later.

Is it normal? Should I take more? I don't feel like I need to. If I had a vicodin in the cabinet right now I would probably flush it without batting an eye (which is an indescribable feeling). Is this simply me adjusting to the medicine?

Also, my doctor didn't give me a time frame. She almost made it sound as if this could become a monthly prescription, and I do not want that. The last thing I want is to replace one addiction with another. I've read that many people have had success with using suboxone for a week to ten days, slowly tapering off. Does this work? If I take the suboxone for that time frame (less than two weeks, preferably), will stopping cause my opiate withdrawals to rear their ugly head, or is this medicine helping me "skip" that? I'm not looking to stay on suboxone, as well as it's working. My goal is to not be an addict anymore.

So....is the dizziness/fatigue/nausea all normal hours after my first and only dose? And is using suboxone for a short period of time a realistic way to be quit from opiates all together? Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum, Brandonisi-

Don't take anymore today. The feelings you're experiencing are from slightly too much suboxone for your tolerance. It usually takes 3-4 hours to feel the full effects of suboxone, unlike a short acting opiate like Hydro, which is usually leaving the system by 4-6 hours. This is part of why suboxone is unique, because stays in your system all day. It's what will keep you from reaching for multiple doses in day like we tend to do with other opiates. Just let it wear off. Most people with your habit size will need to adjust to the strength of suboxone, and will feel effects until your body gets used to the dose. This can usually take a few days.

You say you just want to use it for detox. That's a bit complicated. It's a bit like taking speed to ween of coffee, but I understand that hydro is a tough habit to break. Suboxone may prove to be easier for you to use during your transition because of the longer half life. You may want to take a bit less than 2mgs then. I'm quite confident that you'll feel fine on less and if your only goal is to detox from it immediately, there is certainly no point in raising your tolerance just to get off it. The complicated part comes after you've detoxed. How do you plan on staying away from pills once you've gotten off hydro and suboxone? That's what proves to be most difficult for people who use short term detox methods. Most people like to at least try to abstain from opiates on their own. Usually the people who decide to go maintenance are the ones who've experienced constant relapse and are tired, have nothing more to give, and nothing more to lose. It's a personal choice

Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

tinydancer wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Brandonisi-

Don't take anymore today. The feelings you're experiencing are from slightly too much suboxone for your tolerance. It usually takes 3-4 hours to feel the full effects of suboxone, unlike a a short acting opiate like Hydro which is usually leaving the system by 4-6 hours. This is part of why suboxone is unique and stays in your system all day. Its what will keep you from reaching for multiple doses. Just let it wear off. Most people with your habit size, will need to adjust to the strength of suboxone and will feel effects until your body adjusts to the dose.

You say you just want to use it for detox. That's a bit complicated. It's a bit like taking speed to ween of coffee, but I understand that hydro is a tough habit to break. Suboxone may prove to be easier for you to use during your transition. You may want to just take a bit less than 2mgs then. I quite confident that you'll feel fine on less and if your only goal is to detox from it immediately, there is certainly no point in raising your tolerance just to get off it. The complicated part comes after you've detoxed. How do you plan on staying away from pills once you've gotten off hydro and suboxone? That's what proves to be most difficult for people who use short term detox methods.

Keep us posted!

Thank you! Glad that someone confirmed to me that I probably shouldn't take anymore.

By taking Suboxone, am I just putting off the withdrawals from the Vicodin when taking Suboxone? Let's say I stopped taking the Suboxone a week from now, what should I expect as far as withdrawals are concerned?

Thank you!