It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: First day on Sub
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:22 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all!
I have been on vicodin for 8 years since my very first csection. I have tried over the years to quit with obviously no luck. I finnally went to a doctor and just admitted I had a problem and wow how liberating! The first time in 8 years that I admitted to anyone but myself that I had a problem and needed help. So she prescribed me 8 mg sub strips, 1.5 a day. I just took 1st half an hour ago after waiting 20 hours, and I feel better. I'm just worried because the more I'm reading, all I'm seeing is everyone having a hard time getting off the subs. I guess when I decided to go this route, I'd take it for 1-2 months and than hoped to be off everything. Is this realistic? If you could do it all over again, would you take the subs to stop? Thanks yall and good luck on your recovery!

Post subject: Re: First day on Sub
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:56 pm 

Congrats on starting ur recovery with subs. My opinion is maybe read the sections of the forum that does not pertain to stopping suboxone, and read more of the posts that are similar to where ur at. I say this only because reading only the posts that talk about coming off & the difficulties can be scary to someone who is pretty new in their recovery. Everyone's journey is different. Personally subs changed my life & I have only wonderful things to say about it. It's great to be informed on what it'll be like to come off but keep in mind everyone is different. Ur starting at a good dose and if ur already feeling better then ur good. Basically my advice is focus on one day at a time and u will know when it's ur time to think about tapering down. If u only read the negative u will worry urself instead of being proud of urself. This is only my opinion, I just don't want ya to be scared. Focus on finally taking a step in recovery. Welcome!!!! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:20 pm 

Jenn really nailed it. Your just getting started. It's been 12years and now you are off the merry go round.
Stopping sub, is a softer landing than full opiates. I think you knew this or you would have just stopped taking your other meds. Sub let's you do this.
Being "drug Free" takes time and work. Some can do it. Many can't.
Time will tell.
Today you have taken the first step and are doing well. So... Enjoy and read others here who are doing the same thing.
Also, go over to our founders blog Suboxone Talkzone. Dr j has written so many good things and you will get a great education there too.. .

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yes you are obviously correct, I should focus on positive of this drug that will help me kick the habit of 8 years! I am just so so so sooo done being dependant on anything and I don't want to trade my vicodin addiction with sub addiction. So day 1 is still going good. I do have stomach issues and some tiredness but nothing extreme at all. I do have a script for clonidine that I took this morning g to help me get to my 20 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:22 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I know how you are feeling I was there for 5 years,and a very heavy user at that. It took me a while to finially go and admit that I had a serious problem. I have been clean now for 10 days with the help of suboxone and the support of everyone on here.

I know that I will probalaly be on subs for a while due to I KNOW I will use again if I get off of them anytime soon. For me, I had been taking pain meds off and on for a very long time and subs keep that craving away and I have an addictive personality on top of that.

I too am taking it one day at a time and I am not rushing anything, anytime real soon. Maybe one day I will decide to take that jump :D
One good thing though, I have read and heard many people talk about how getting off subs is much easier because you can taper very slowly when your ready... :D

Your just days behind my first day of taking subs and I am still learining too. Please feel free anytime to ask questions, there are alot good people on this site to provide lots of support.
Myself, I am not an expert but will be more than happy to share expirences with you :D

Welcome to your new life of recovery, your going to do just fine :D :D :D

Tam