It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:03 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi all! I have recently started my taper and I feel like this is a great place to blog and hopefully pick up even more great advice! I tapered eight days at three mgs. Before that I was doing a little over four a day. I had my ups and downs going from four to three but it was tolerable. I noticed that I had ALOT of raw emotions, I love personal touch like hugs from my children or just holding my eleven year olds hand for no reason.. These were great things honestly. I am ready to be done and feel like it is time for me to move forward and leave my crutch behind. I am not saying that suboxone is a "Crutch" for all but it most def. was and is for me. Time to live free of taking anything and ready for bigger and better things to come along in my life without running to my purse for my meds. I was going to drop another mg. this week but after much thought and knowing that this upcoming week is going to be extremley stressful I have decided to take it a tad bit slower. I went down to 2.5 mgs today. Of course I know that I will probably not feel the difference for a couple days but I am ready. If anyone could give me any advice on any vitamins, comfort meds, foods etc. that may help me along my way I would greatly appreciate it! I take clonodine every night and have for a year. I also take vitamin B 12. I am a mother of four and work full time and don't have any down time so I am always on the go.. From what I have read that is actually a pretty good thing.. Well to stay "active" so I am trying to keep that up. Tonight I moved around so much that I am beat! Did anyone notice an increase in food while tapering? I am a bit aggravated that I feel like i am ALWAYS starving! I also feel like I am retaining ALOT of water as well... So one day down at two.five... Just praying for brighter days ya know? Thanks everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 pm 

Keep on trucking until you stabilize at 2.5. I would then just take it down to 2.25. Don't let your impatience with your "crutch" push you too hard and too fast. The longer the taper, the more likelihood of success in the long run!

This is a great place to keep track of your progress and get support! Keep us informed of how you're doing.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Brighter Days,

Sounds like you are are on the right track! I know how it feels to be on a low dose and just wanting to get off. You have to have patience and I know you can do it! If you don't have a time constraint, I would taper in small amounts so you feel minimal withdrawal effects at each drop. When tapered from 4 to 3mg, I didn't have much of a problem, but when I got to 3mg I started to taper by at least .25mg each drop. In my opinion, I would rather drop smaller increments more often, than a larger increment at once.

Also, I started taking good multivitamins, not the gummy kind your kids love, but performance multivitamins that weight lifters take. They put their body through a lot of stress so they need the proper supplements to refuel, as do you. I take Muscle Pharm Armor-V, but there are others that will work just as well. B-12 is good, but get L-Tyrosine as well to take with it. The combination of those two will help with neurotransmitter repair. I'm sure it's difficult to get to the gym with 4 kids, but staying active really does help. When I'm preparing to drop my dose, I workout to exhaustion for several days in a row so my body and muscles are sore and it starts producing natural endorphins. Keep up with the water as well. Lots of water!

I'll let others touch on the Prescription medications. If not, I'll comment again in a couple of days.

Keep it up, stay positive and keep us updated on your progress!

-RXFCG

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you guys SO much for replying! I do really appreciate it! I am not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or not but I have also noticed that with this taper it seems like my brain is remembering all these bad things that have happend throught my life.. I will admit I was one who abused pain killers to avoid feelings of hurt and disappointment... I have noticed this alot that when I lay down my mind will just start spurting out bad memeories.. Embarrasing moments that make me cringe of how I have hurt others along my addiction and it's killing me. I guess it is because I never truly dealt with my problems.. Idk.. Last night it got SO bad that I had to get down on my knees and pray that God would please just bring my mind peace and for Satan to GET OUT! I understand why they say that counceling is very important along the recovery way! I finally did have peace and I was able to fall asleep for a few hours. Thank you god! Today I feel good.. I am tired and I noticed some achyness in my hips and of course as always my back but I am doing good.. I am in a pretty good mood too.. I am on the films so I am having a hard time with cutting the films. I took what I believe to be one mg. this morning but I am almost positive it was a little smaller than that.. I am touchy here.. I will go smaller just in case. This afternoon I will take my 1.50 and that will be it for me today. I know that I can do this though! I do pray for patience.. I want to jump SO bad but I do know that if I were to do it now I would only turn right back around. I am going to try and taper all the way down to .25.. Thank you for the tips on vitamins and such! I take the B12 daily and I have been drinking LOTS of water.. I can't seem to find the L Tyrosine.. I must have to go to GNC for that. I thought I had read some people doing Protein shakes? I think I am going to get a gym membership this weekend too.. time to take care of me! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Exercise, exercise, exercise!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yep exersize and amino acids I know it helped but unfortunately ain't enuff when I tried I made it 6 monthes off sub.....high dose of ltyrosine in th am high dose of 5htp at night both over the counter amino acids and both are direct precursors to serotonin and one of them also stimulates dopamine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad you guys brought up the L-tyrosine. I've seen this recommended before and I tried it before going on suboxone when I tried to quit CT. It didn't work for me then, but I think I will give it another go now that I'm tapering. Can't hurt right? Brighter, I found mine at a little health food store. I don't think most chain stores (like Wal-mart) carry it. And if I remember right it was very inexpensive.

@Semperfi - you mentioned high dose in the am...I do seem to remember the dose suggested for WD was quite a bit higher than what was recommended on the bottle. What was the dose you took?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:55 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The more research I do the more hopeless I get, I have heard about plenty of people getting off methadone and I've heard of a few people getting off sub after using it for a few months or a year tops, but I can't find one freakin person online or in person who got off a long term suboxone addiction and stayed off more than a year. I'm about ready to put a foot up the ass of the pill pusher who told me suboxone would be a better drug to discontinue.....sorry....anyways I have always used 500 mg l-tyrosine caps I take 5 in the morning with b-complex and I use 50 mg caps of 5-htp, I take 2 at night....both work wonders but apparently nothing is helping keep anybody off subs more than a freakin year...I wish I had looked around all these forums before I did this to myself....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Semperfi - thanks for the info.

I understand your frustrations, but there are people here on this board who have gotten off suboxone after long term use. Go check out the thread titled "setting the record straight" in the Misc. Suboxone Issues section. One of our members posed a similar question recently and had several responses from people who have been on subs long term and now have discontinued and are doing well. Some of them for a while now. I think the reason you don't hear more success stories is that most of the people who have kicked it are doing well and don't feel the need to come on the internet and talk about it. They got past it, and moved on with their lives. I too wish more people with good experiences would stick around and support others. But I understand why most don't.

However, that being said, I agree that most people who start suboxone treatment are terribly misled about the struggles we will face when we get ready to quit. Most doctors are woefully uninformed about the withdrawal process and I think patients should have access to the real facts before they are put on this medication. I am grateful for the chance at sobriety I was afforded through this medication, but I think a big percentage of people who are put on it would have been better served to just go through the withdrawal from their DOC and be done with it. The problem lies in that most of us, when in full blown addiction aren't strong enough to make the decision to go through treatment and battle those withdrawals without having some help. It's becoming clearer to me the more I read that using suboxone long term isn't a good option unless you are prepared to stay on it possibly for the rest of your life. Not that it's impossible to get off of it after long term use, but it seems that those of us who have taken it around a year have a much easier time discontinuing use than those who have been on it for years at a time. Don't give up hope...it can definitely be done. But it sounds like you are going to be in for a much bigger struggle than you were led to believe. Instead of being angry with your doctor maybe you can try to educate him so that he can make better decisions for his patients in the future. I firmly believe this medication is a much needed addition to ORT, if the doctors would just give patients the CORRECT information so that they are making informed decisions before just blindly trusting a doctor. This is just another example of how important it is for us to take extra precaution and educate ourselves about our healthcare decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I personally got off Suboxone and stayed off of it for 1-1/2 years. I went back on it because it helped with my depression and opiate addiction.

I think that you may no hear of many people getting off Suboxone, because once they get off of it, they may not feel the need to jump on a "Suboxone Chat Room". They are off of it. At least that was the case for me. But when I chose to get back on it, I wanted support with my choice and joined this forum.

You CAN get off Suboxone. I found it best to taper down as low as possible then stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks everyone for the replys and support! Today is day three and I can feel the slight WD setting in.. Last night I didn't sleep well at all and today my hand was asleep for awhile.. It finally subsided (Thank God) felt a tad bit nauseated and yawned and sneezed a few times.. I have also noticed that I have been having a few sharp pains in my head from faast movement. I am ok though and trying to stay busy.. I do have issues with anxiety already so I am sure that is gearing up as well.. Anyways, I will say that I do honestly believe that after alot of people recover from getting off this stuff I can totally see why they leave.. I too wish they would stick around and share there stories but that is not always the case. I know that in some cases if people get clean and than read some things they can become "Triggers" I know that there have been times that even just reading the word Oxy turns those on for me.. I hate it and it's so embarrasing but it's how my stupid messed up brain works. I do remember though seeing alot of people last year post about there taper process and it seemed that quit a few did have success after years of sub use. Keep up the good work Semperfi!! You will get there one day! I am going to assume that you are or a former Marine? I know what that bootcamp is like and I spent four years as a Marine Wife and that is HARD WORK! If you can do that I know you can kick this!! Just keep coming back and we all will keep supporting you! I am sorry that you are having a rough time, I too catch myself doubting this taper from time to time but than I know that is just Satan telling me I can't.. I know I can! Good luck to you and Thanks so much for sharing your info on the vitamins that you take!