It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi to all, this is my first day on sub treatment. I went in this morning and the dr had me take 4mg wait 30 min and take another 4 mg because I didn't feel better. Well I walked out about an hour later and I did feel better. But now it's barely 3 hours later and I feel really bad again, not full blown withdrawels, but body aches and no energy. I am supposed to take 4 mg between 5 or 6 pm, whenever I think is best. I'm scared I won't make it through the night!!!!! I don't speak to my dr until tomorrow at 11am. Has anyone felt like this? My mom, dad and husband are encouraging me and I SO WANT TO BE OFF OF THE STUPID CYCLE OF ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MY NEXT FIX, but this is really hard. Sorry for the ramble.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:21 pm 

Welcome to the forum!

It is not unusual for the first couple of days to be a little rough as you figure out how much sub you need. The good news is that once you fill up your opiate receptors with sub, they are long lasting and will last until the next day's dose. I would just take the final 4mg and you should be OK.

There is another reason that you may feel like dosing more often when you first get on subs and that reason is psychological. We are used to anticipating that next dose and we don't fully trust that this medication is going to work when we are brand new. Try very hard to guard against taking a dose because your addict brain wants you to! The suboxone has a ceiling limit which means that you won't feel any better by taking more sub after your receptors are filled.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey ccleelee!!! I'm only a week ahead of you! I started suboxone last Monday. I felt pretty shitty the first night too, trust me it will get better!! Try putting some ice packs on you if that helps, and believe me you'll feel better soon. If you can get to tomorrow things will get a lot better! :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I was scared too and I came from a high dose of methadone. It takes a little bit to adjust, but when you do you will cry about how good you feel. I did and I wasn't ready to quit my doc I was forced into it. I'm excited for you, you will be too very shortly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Ccleelee, welcome to the forum!!

Are you switching from methadone to Suboxone? As pugmommy said, the transition from methadone to Suboxone can be fairly bumpy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo wrote:
Hi Ccleelee, welcome to the forum!!

Are you switching from methadone to Suboxone? As pugmommy said, the transition from methadone to Suboxone can be fairly bumpy.

Thanks everyone, it means a lot to get encouragement from people who KNOW what I'm going through. Romeo, I'm coming off of norcos. About 550mg a day. Very high I know, but I am making myself admit it. The more I admit the more I realize and accept that it was wrong.

Thank you for your replies, keep me in your thoughts tonight, I'll do the same for you.

Go Emmy! I will keep you as my high water mark!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You don't have to be nervous about admitting your drug use. We're all addicts here, we understand.

Some people get on Suboxone and hit the ground running, some people take a few days to adjust. You may be in the latter group? Did you take the other dose around 5pm or 6pm? If so, did it make you feel better? It's hard to say how you're going to feel tonight, but Suboxone does have a very long half life and I would guess it would get you through the night?

If you haven't taken your dose yet, when you do, make sure you keep it in your mouth a good 15 or 20 minutes to make sure it's completely dissolved. This will ensure maximum absorption.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:01 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Welcome CC!

Yes, we are all addicts here so no one can judge anyone!! Glad you made it. You will love the clear head you will have on this medicine, I'm on day 28 and doing great! You just have to remember, in life you are going to have up and down days, it is a miracle medicine but life is life! I too used to take Norcos, vics, percs, any opiates I could get in contact with really, and when you take them it makes things better temporary as you know. This medicine (suboxone) is amazing!!

You are on the right track to making your life a WHOLE lot better! Keep up the good work and again welcome to the family!

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well I made it through the night! Not gonna lie, it was a bit tough for me, but I tend to be a sissy in these situations :D . I feel better today, not quite got enough energy to do much stuff, but better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Cc that's awesome!!! Making it through the first night is really the hardest I think!! Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Emmy! Second night wasn't as rough, but..............lol, it's done. I still am quite sluggish with little interest in things. I've been reading forums though and I think this is quite the norm, to give myself some time to adjust. So as I go on I am hopeful of a full recovery, ever mindful of the demon on my shoulder that I hope to banish in a dungeon. This third day I have been reflective. I have wondered why, WHY, did I let that demon run so freely and for so long? That is what I'm hoping to get help with, so I see those trigger points and use them to my advantage this time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:31 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow congrats on another day!!!! We have been having such a similar experience! Day 3 I was LOST in regrets!!! Every single thing I screwed up came at me in my mind!! Try your best to stay calm and make plans of action to make things right! Try not to be overwhelmed thinking everything at once!! Keep thinking one day at a time, I got this!! Maybe pick one person you hurt along the way and do something nice for them!! Something simple just to make a gesture of being a better person off the drugs!! Mine was finding the powerade my hubby loves but is always out, so I found a store that had it and sent him a pic saying look what I got you!!! :) Anyway, you're doing well it seems like, glad you're here!!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It will get better. You were in a high dose so it will take a little time. Normally you would lower your norco dose first for an easier transition, but just keep moving forward. You will be better soon I promise

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

pugmommy wrote:
It will get better. You were in a high dose so it will take a little time. Normally you would lower your norco dose first for an easier transition, but just keep moving forward. You will be better soon I promise

You know, I wondered about this, I really did, but it just wasn't an option for me because, well it just wasn't. Thanks pugmommy and Emmy, I appreciate the kind words. Well as for night 3 , slept until 4 am having went to bed around 10pm, so that was better. Also I just generally feel better today. Maybe more energy, we'll see though once I get going. I do have a very slight (and I do mean slight) headache that still seems to be there and I was hoping if someone experienced this would chime in here it would be great. I'm kind of writing this as a journal for myself so I can look back on, so sorry for the ramble. :oops: I haven't started my recovery work yet, my psychiatrist wants me to FEEL good before meetings with others. His nurse has called me everyday since I started but today we agreed that she wouldn't and I have her number if I feel like I need her. I see the counselor tomorrow, don't know what to expect.

Pugmommy, I've been going through here to find out about things and you are a real source of help.
And Emmy, this is tough, huh? But I appreciate every word you have written to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If your headaches are slight, they'll most likely improve in a few more days as you get used to Suboxone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo wrote:
If your headaches are slight, they'll most likely improve in a few more days as you get used to Suboxone.

I was hoping so, also, I was wondering about uneven patches in how I feel. Like some times I feel great, others I have to push through. My drs nurse is really great about answering questions, but sometimes only someone who has been there knows. I realize that this is only the middle of my fourth day, still........ :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some people have a bit harder time adjusting to Suboxone. Once enough Suboxone is in your system to where you're constantly above the ceiling level, you'll likely feel fine. This may take up to two weeks, or you may feel fine tomorrow. Hard to say.

Keep hanging in there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yep, headache is normal. I also felt "dumb" for a couple days, your brain is in shock. My doctor tried to wean me to a smaller dose before switching also, but we all know how that goes, that's how I got forced into suboxone and was against a wall. The reason for weaning and why you are having a hard couple of days is this: think of an elevator. No opiates is the ground floor. Opiates are the tenth floor. Suboxone is the fifth floor. If we would have weaned we wouldn't have been dropped to the fifth floor, it's scary while happening but it's fine when you get there. My doctor also told me that when suboxone finally fully kicks in aka your brain adjusts, it's like a flick of a switch, you feel fine. I remember this happening and will never forget it. I got two hours if sleep the first two nights and after that I was fine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you Romeo and pugmommy. I know I must wait, but I do get that "dumb" feeling and I panic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Today will be my 5th day on, and I didn't sleep more than 6hours, but I did sleep through w/o waking up. Feel better as far as sluggishness goes. Wondering if I just need to push through that. I'm going to give myself a week and see before I talk to doc about it. But all in all, doing fine.