It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, my name is Brady and I am a new member.

Today I had a doctor call me back and my "evaluation" appointment is on Thursday but they said I might have to go back on Friday too.

I am 16 years old, going to be 17 in November an I've already lost so much because
Of my addiction. I'm so excited to get into the program and finally get off all this shit.

My dad was an addict and he was also scripted suboxone so he knows a lot about the program but I wanted to talk to more people about it.

What should I expect with my first appointment? Will I have there for hours while they try doses? How long would I have to withdrawal before my appointment? Do I need to have opiates in my system?

Thank you all for any replies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Brady, and welcome
heres a link to a really good 'frequently asked questions' page
https://www.suboxone.com/patients/about ... lm.aspx#50
and heres a little about the first appt, I copied it from the site.........
Q

What is Induction?

Treatment begins with Induction. The goal of induction is to transition you from your current opioid (heroin, methadone, or a prescription pain medicine) as rapidly as possible to an adequate dose of buprenorphine. You MUST arrive for your induction already experiencing at least moderate opioid withdrawal symptoms. Being in this state is vital to having buprenorphine work well. (SUBOXONE Film is not indicated for induction. A buprenorphine-only medication is used instead.)

The drug you have been misusing needs to be free from the receptors in your brain so that the buprenorphine can bind to them. Your doctor will give you your first dose of the buprenorphine, which can be adjusted if you are still not feeling well.

When you are ready to leave the office, the doctor may give you instructions and a prescription that will last until your next appointment, usually within the next few days. The doctor may also want to discuss counseling or behavioral therapy, since adding these to treatment with medication has been shown to bring better results.

So, Ive never heard of someone getting refused suboxone, for not having opiates in thier system. there are some people that have been here, that have been taking suboxone NOT from a doctor, then go to their 'induction' appointment.

depending on what you are currently taking, and how high of a dose,
you must stop taking it anywhere from as little as 12 hours to as much as 36 hours.
something like heroin/methadone/fentanol needs to be in the 36 hour range, to prevent precipitated w/d.
something with a short half life like oxys or vicodin, then 12 hours is usually sufficent. EVERYONE is different though!!!!

and you could probably benefit from reading some of the threads in the 'induction' section, where people with LOTS of questions come post, the day BEFORE thier first appointment, then they come back on, and
tell us ALL ABOUT IT.
thats what I'd do, if I were you!!!

You can also gain LOTS of information from reading the 'dosing' threads and well, just about anything!!!

good luck,
dont forget to check back with us.
OH,
and if you have any more questions, just ask!!!! :D :D :D

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the reply! Tomorrow at 1pm is my appointment. I'm so excited! :D I don't have any actual opiates in my system besides methadone which I took around 3 today but I have taken methadone then suboxone 13 hours later and didn't have w/d but I stupidly took subs 5 hours after methadone and that was terrible.

I'm actually addicted to buprenorphine. Subutex to be specific. But the corrupt doctor around here got shut down so the price sky rocketed. I've seen people pay $80 for 1.

The reason I wanna go to the doctor is because the street price is outrageous and I wanna get off this shit for good. I don't care how long it takes, as long as I'm not sick all the time and will be slowly tapering off.

When I talked to them on the phone they said I might have to come back Friday too. I assumed it was either if they couldn't get the right dose the first day or if they wanted to check on me.

But the doctor is only like 55 miles from me do frequent visits are not a problem(:

I will post back tomorrow and let you know how everything went (:

-Brady

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Brady, I know that your appointment is today and I just wanted to say, GOOD LUCK! Come back after your appointment, if youfeel up to it, and let us know how it went!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Goinstrong wrote:
Hello Brady, I know that your appointment is today and I just wanted to say, GOOD LUCK! Come back after your appointment, if youfeel up to it, and let us know how it went!

Appointment went good. Didn't see the doctor. Just his assistant and she explained the basics of the program with me. They are giving me a choice between the films or the tablets. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the strips mainly cuz of taste and they dissolve faster.

I go back tomorrow to see the doctor so I can get my office dose and get my script. I was kinda upset cuz I thought I was getting the office dose today. Now I'm so achey :(

The assistant said that the doc likes to have people finished after 18 months but the max is 24 months unless more is needed.

She also said he starts everyone out on 2 pills/strips. Half in the morning, half at noon, half at mid afternoon and half at night.
After tomorrow, I gotta go back in 2 weeks so they can check on me and then I gotta go 2 weeks after that.

So I'm only going to get 2 weeks worth tomorrow, then another 2 weeks worth, then after that I get enough to get through the month.

I'll post back tomorrow after I actually see the doctor!

-Brady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello again!!!

yes, this is the 'jumping thru hoops' stage, sounds like your ALMOST there!!!!

good luck w/the doctor tomorow. that DOES suck you didnt get to see one today. You can make it though, I just know it!!

at least you can TRY and find another doctor, in your '18 month' time frame, if maintenance is what your going after. thats better than some we've heard of, that cut people down at like 90 days!!!
So hang in there, keep jumping thru the hoops, its worth it :wink:

glad your doing ok, look forward to hearing more from ya. :lol:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/