It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I had my first appointment and he's put me on one strip a day, never asked me how much I use or how often just thought that was enough because I don't shoot up. I go back Thursday. Now I'm feeling like one strip works for no withdrawl but I really want to take another after work,so at night I guess. I didn't because I don't want to run out before Thursday and risk having a sick day, but I did go out and smoke a couple of 30s. I'm afraid he's going to be a know it all and just say its enough for me and that I am just being an addict. He felt like he didn't care about my anything I had to say and just wanted to tell me about how well educated in medicine he is and how most doctors don't know. It sucks because I am being an addict, but that's what this whole thing is about. I can get kicked out if I have a dirty ua, and he gave me this big speech about not wasting his and everyone else's time, I need to be dedicated. And that he's just doing "us" (dirty drug addicts) a favor because no one else in the county will. Now I'm like, I just had to pay u 350$ in cash, they won't even bill ur insurance for that initial fee, wow what a selfless miracle man u are. I just hope the next time, I get to talk and he figures out this isn't about how smart he is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, now that I just reread that, aside from my typos, I feel like I'm definitely over reacting lol. I do that a lot, take normal information waaay more personal than I should. So I guess that was my vent. But I'm sure it will go better next week, I just need to learn to speak for myself instead of sitting there like a scolded child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's part of the guilt that comes along with being an addict. You feel as though you've done something wrong and you deserve to be treated "differently"..but that's not the case.

you're as much of a patient as the insulin patient or gallstone patient...doctors should treat people with respect and dignity..not like they are scum of the earth and you should gravel at their feet or worship them because they took an 8-hour course to prescribe suboxone. (yes, an 8-hour course is all it takes for the doc to be able to write suboxone.)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

shelly - Did you say that your doctor didn't even ask you what drug and how much of it you were taking before? If that's the case, then that is just weird. My doctor had me fill out tons of forms on my prior drug use and he read them while standing in front of me, and talked to me about it, saying I should probably stay on sub for a year or even indefinitely since I have a history of going from one drug to the next. I don't know if I plan on being on subs that long, but it was nice to know that he isn't one who will try to make me taper before I'm ready, and that he actually cared to know about my history.
Crazy how so many doctors differ in how they treat patients on this med!

I didn't think you were over reacting when I read it...but I tend to over react or over think things too. :?

Also, what's a 30? :o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree with Taurus- its very strange they didn't ask you what or how you were taking. Like Taurus they made me fill out forms and then went over them all with me. It's a shame the way some people are treated by their drs or pharmacists. I feel so fortunate after reading a lot of these stories. Not only has my dr been very helpful and caring but the entire staff at the office has treated me GREAT. My pharmacist has also been great. Never once have I felt judged or looked down upon by anyone. I really feel for the people that have been. We go to them at a very vulnerable time in our lives for help and instead of looking down on us they should commend us for having the guts to ask for help. Thankfully everyone involved in my recovery has so far. I'm sorry to hear its not the standard type of care offered to most- it should be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe a 30 is a 30-dollar hit of H, or could be a 30mg Oxy...I'm way outdated on the terminology, and I don't even know what forms of Oxy/Roxy there are out there nowadays...

Post subject: the doc knows too much
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, i read your post and the reply to your own post as well where you thought you overreacted. The truth is some doctors are like that, they get off on displays of elitism. What can we do ? We need the doctors because this is truly life or death if you really take getting off opiates seriously enough. The poster who wrote that we addicts need opiates like diabetics need insulin is severely un-informed. The truth is, in sobriety, on suboxone, life after heroin or oxycontin is much better and we are giving up something we really dont need. When we are addicted we need more and more to just feel right otherwise the WDs kick in and life turns into a living hell. From your post it sounds like you are seeing the only doctor in your "county" that is a suboxone doctor so you must live in a rural area. BUT, if would care to do some research,
open a google search using these search parameters "suboxone doctors in city, state" you live in. If you live in a rural area there may not be any alternates and sometimes the alternates are already at their 100 patient maximum. I recently made the switch to a new "sox" doctor and I truly hit a homerun with the one I found. The one I saw previously had such a poor bedside manner i felt I was not getting the proper care and therapy I needed to kick my bad habit. Good luck and Good health and success to you !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Congrats, you should feel great about taking the initiative of going to the doctor and wanting to be clean. I tend to agree with everyone else that you didn't have to give him much detailed information on your using amounts and how often. Buprenorphine is a very long lasting drug, so 8mgs should probably be a good dose for you every 24hrs, although you didn't describe on here how much you used. For some reason, I feel like it is partly a mental thing to take, like in your scenario, another strip after work. You may need it, I’m not a doctor or anything nor do I know you, but in my experiences I have found this to be true. It is also different in your case since you have just started.

As far as relapsing, it obviously is not helpful you did, but it does happen often early in treatment and sometimes can help. I am not trying to give you an excuse to use or anything, but I learned for some people they want to use and once they do and they are in treatment they realize how powerless they are of the drug. I am guessing you did a 30mg roxy, known as rapid-release oxycodone, considering how common they are on the street. It's all up to you at this point to see how you can manage staying clean. Another slip-up may be all you need to put you right where you left off before getting on the suboxone program. I hope the best for you that you have the strength to be clean and take it one day at a time. Taking it one day at a time was a huge motivation for me to only think about the present and stay dedicated to not using just for today, and live by it. Good luck, hope to see updates on your treatment.