It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking here for a while and doing a LOT of research, REALLY glad I did as my Dr. said "Just stop at 2mg, you'll be fine!", what an ass! I'm going to keep this post as updated as possible, please don't take any of this as advice, just posting my story!

I went into this taper KNOWING that I CAN AND WILL DO THIS, I've been through worse and this is important to me to get off the Sub at this time, I'LL BE OK and definitely feel that having a "can do" attitude and doing it on your own terms is really key.

Also, I read a bunch of horror stories on the internet, but took most w/ a grain of salt as I spoke at length with my best bud who jumped off at .5mg, skipping days, and said it really was NOTHING compared to full oxy WD, he worked (manual labor) the entire time...

I'll keep this updated as the week continues

A bit of back story:
I am a recovering drug addict/alcoholic, I got clean the first time in 1997 and stayed that way for 11 years. The first time I did rehab, halfway house, AA...the whole thing. I relapsed on roxy's sometime in 2009, I can't remember the exact date (wonder why, lol). Anyway, I continued to use for about 3 months, I was taking 2 x 30mg about 3 times daily (so that's about 180mg daily, not sure if that's a lot or not since I was out of the loop for soooo long). One day I decided I'd had enough and quit cold turkey, I sweated it out for the next week and FINALLY when I was feeling better, I thought it'd be a good idea to take more pills DOH! Guess what, yep, I got hooked again (this time taking 3 x 30mg 3 x daily) and stayed on em for another 5 months give or take. I decided to try Suboxone as one of my buddies had good luck with it...I should've done more research first but I trusted my Dr. (BIG MISTAKE)

My Sub use:
My induction to Sub was HORRENDOUS, for some reason, the oxy lingered in my system for DAYS, it was agonizing. I finally got stable on 12mg, probably WAY too much, but that's what the Dr. suggested. I stayed at this level for a few months, then stepped down to 8mg...so far VERY easy.

My Taper (I'm in NO WAY suggesting that anyone try what I did, just telling you my story):
I stepped down from 8mg directly to 4mg, again, no discomfort AT ALL. I stayed at 4mg for a few weeks. After that I went from 4mg to 2mg with only VERY minor WD symptoms, pretty negligible really. I stayed on 2mg for 2 weeks then went down to 1mg...this was a bit uncomfortable for me, days 3 & 4 I was a bit irritable and had pretty bad night sweats, then day 5 I'd be a bit tired, but nothing unmanageable

SIDE NOTE: I run a medium sized business and have twin 5 month olds at my house, there is NO downtime in my life at all

I stayed on 1mg for 1 week, then dropped to .5mg, again, similar WD symptoms as from 2 to 1mg, not terrible by any stretch, but I'd rather not do it again. .5mg for 1 week again, just long enough to start feeling 100%, then I dropped to .25mg for 1 week (same mild WD on days 3,4,5).

So, my last .25mg(or as close as I could get as I was just chopping up the pills, no liquid taper) was on this past Sunday afternoon at 5pm.

Here's how it's gone since then:
Monday (DAY 0): Just a regular day as I'd taken my normal dose the night before, but Monday nite I tossed and turned and had a bit of restless leg stuff going on

Tuesday (DAY 1): Felt ok in the am, went to work and had a pretty much normal day, in the afternoon I got some stomach cramps, took some Loperimide & Advil and felt much better. I didn't sleep very well, took some Clonidine and Melatonin, woke up a bunch w/ restless legs and arms, not terrible at all, just kind of annoying more than anything else

Wednesday (DAY 2): Woke up feeling pretty good, rode the motorcycle to work and everything, ate breakfast and a decent lunch. I'm a bit anxious, not sure if it's from the Sub or me waiting for all Hell to break loose, but I'm enjoying feeling pretty good. It's 5:45pm now....exactly 72 hours after my last dose, I still feel pretty decent but know that tomorrow will be the real test.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes, wish me luck! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DirtRider,

Thank you for posting your taper progress! Your positive attitude is seriously motivating. I am doing a liquid taper, stable at .45mgs/day dosing every 12hrs (currently .25 in the morning, .2 in the evening). I plan to taper down to the smallest amount possible (like .05mgs?), but I am very impatient and wonder:

"Do i really want to decrease small amounts 6 or 7 more times? Or just jump off earlier, like at .2? I mean, how much worse could it be?"

All these mini-detoxes, although mild and short, are getting old. I am also tired of doing crazy mg/ml calculations and planning dose amounts. Yet, I'm afraid to jump off at "too much." There is no clear line of demarcation between "too much" and "not a problem."

I am anxiously awaiting your posts, since you are jumping off .25mgs. Feel free to post any WD symptoms, moods, eating/sleeping habits, etc. Your experience will help me decide when to end my own taper, so thanks in advance!

I know everyone's situation is different, but I'm just looking for ANY experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have never tapered so I cannot offer any first-hand experience with that. I do have a question or perhaps a suggestion or perhaps it's just one of my many thoughts. But, has anyone tried simply going for as long of a time frame as they reasonably can and then dosing at that time? By that I mean rather than getting to say, 0.25mg and taking it every 12 or 24 hours, they try waiting until the point that whatever level of discomfort they are feeling is as much as they can or want to stand and then that is when they dose. Now, I'm not suggesting that this be done more than once every 24 hours. I'm not saying take a dose when you feel like it throughout the day. I'm saying, stretch out the dose to 30 or 40 or 50 or whatever hours and then dosing at that point.

I ask this because I think that Ann Marie brings up a really great question. Are we better off doing a dozen mini drops and suffering a more minimal amount of discomfort, but for a longer time -- perhaps months -- or are we better off doing a larger drop, suffering a greater amount of discomfort, but having it last for a shorter time - perhaps weeks. I think that's a great question. I'd love to see a study on it. Although, in the end, I guess it really will come down to personal preference. Suffer a lot for a shorter time or a little for a longer time? That's why I wonder if the best of both worlds is to not just push it until we hit our breaking point, and then dose at that point?

I think it is pretty clear, from what many people have reported, that going as low as you can as slow as you can is the most comfortable way to stop Suboxone. But is it the best way? Also, is there any difference in the relapse rate of those who drop from a higher amount and do it faster than those who drop for a lower amount and do it slower? We also have to remember that we are only speaking of getting stopped. The real challenge for most people seems to be the PAWS and with staying stopped.

There certainly seems to be some "best practices" when it comes to taking Suboxone. It would be nice to have some actual studies and research with which to create "best practices" when it comes to stopping Suboxone. Small, slow drops, or Larger, faster drops? Or is it just personal preference?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DonH,

During one of my earlier decreases (when I became impatient), I was stable on 2mgs/taken once a day. I wanted to make some quick progress, so I decided to "hold out" until the WD symptoms started getting intolerable. Even then, I'd make myself wait another 4-6hrs before taking the next dose just to be sure. When I was finally ready, I'd take .5mgs. Sometimes, I'd try to get away with .25mgs. I continued this for 6-8 days.

When I just couldn't stand it any longer, I leveled out around .8mgs. I was disappointed at first because I thought I could keep going, but the depression kicked in so horribly that I honestly HAD to level out. But then I felt great, and realized I was very excited to have dropped to under a milligram in a week!

Was it worth it? To make some quick progress? Yes. To see how fast I could reduce? Yes. Is it important now to stabilize and feel normal for awhile? Yes.

From there, I started my liquid taper. I generally dropped .05mgs every 3-4 days, holding at .5mgs for a week or two.
I just reduced again a few days ago to .45mgs/day. Any WD with the slow taper is minimal, and I feel great 2 days after the decrease occurs. But as you've read, I'm contemplating another "hold-out." Whatever happens, I'll be sure to post.

(I'm not suggesting this is a good way to decrease your dose, but it is something I have done in the past to make quick progress:) If you find yourself with a bad cold, or the flu, you can also use your legitimate illness to your advantage: try cutting down a little during the sickness. You probably won't notice the difference, since you're hopped up on NyQuil and already feel bad anyway. I've done that several times over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, so I can no longer edit my original post, but I'll continue the updates as replies here:

Wednesday night(DAY 2/3: 79hrs): I felt pretty anxious when I got home at 6:30, I took some Advil and 4 x Loperomide (Immodium AD) as a preemptive strike against whatever may be coming my way, but I think I was just nervous waiting for the terrible WD to start, I tried to relax, had some fun w/ my kids and then had a pretty large dinner. I was feeling suprisingly GOOD! Sleep didn't come super easy, but I took a Clonidine and 2 x Melatonin 3mg (this is a natural sleep aid available in any drug store, super mellow and doesn't leave me groggy in the am AT ALL). I drifted off with visions of certain death in the morning, but before I went to sleep I re-committed to getting this done!

Thursday morning (DAY 3: Hour 89): Ok, so this is where all hell breaks loose and I feel like I'm dying right? NOPE! I slept BETTER THAN I HAVE IN WEEKS!!! NO NIGHT SWEATS YAAAY! I woke up feeling GREAT, my legs were a bit sore, indicating that I'd been doing some night "running", but it was nothing to worry about at all. I FEEL GOOD! I rode my motorcycle to work, the wind felt good and I wasn't "chilled" like I usually get during my decreases. I got to work, ate a decent breakfast, answered a bunch of phone calls, responded to a ton of PM's and silly email questions, just a regular morning!

Guys,
I know that I may still be in for it, but I'm 89 hours out, I thought I'd be at death's door by now...but I feel GOOD! I think something I should mention is that my VERY aggressive tapering was WAY WORSE than this, but still in no way unmanageable, I've not missed a day of work, nor have I missed a morning w/ my kids. Maybe my crappy days during the aggressive taper got me "ready" for this? I'm not sure, but I'm going to enjoy this day and view it as a gift (maybe tomorrow will be different?).

First off, God bless Suboxone, it's helped to keep me clean and sober for the past 6 months. That being said, I'd like to share that during the time I was on Suboxone, I lost weight, had no sex drive and lost interest in the things that used to make me happiest in this world...Some people speak of Suboxone as "leveling them out" emotionally, maybe I just can't deal well with that, who knows, I do like my highs HIGH and my lows LOW. These were the main factors in my motivation to get off the Sub. The shortness and severity of my taper was a function of timing, I wanted to hit this 2 week window that fell during my wife's spring break (she's a teacher), this was mainly so that she could wake up with my 2 kids in the morning when I was SUPPOSED to be dying.

Ok, last thing, I do go to AA meetings, have a sponsor, call him and do step work with him. I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I know that I'm not going to use today, I'll worry about tomorrow...well, tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys posted towards the end of business today, wish me luck!!!

Edit: I am SNEEZING A LOT, but it's really not bad, I've been blaming it on my "allergies" to my co-workers...I don't have allergies, so this is definitely a WD symptom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

"Guys,
I know that I may still be in for it, but I'm 89 hours out, I thought I'd be at death's door by now...but I feel GOOD! I think something I should mention is that my VERY aggressive tapering was WAY WORSE than this, but still in no way unmanageable, I've not missed a day of work, nor have I missed a morning w/ my kids. Maybe my crappy days during the aggressive taper got me "ready" for this? I'm not sure, but I'm going to enjoy this day and view it as a gift (maybe tomorrow will be different?)."

DirtRider, I'm glad you posted/mentioned that. I've been collecting information/data for every decrease I've done so far. I quickly realized that my WD symptoms were almost unnoticeable as long as I didn't decrease more than 13% each time.

Here's where it gets interesting: Before I did the "aggressive taper" I mentioned earlier, my WD symptoms were worse, with tons of depression and sweating/night sweats (which I no longer experience as WD symptoms, even though I am still decreasing by the same percentage). I have also wondered if the aggressive taper "got most of the bad WDs out." Because normally, I would be slightly depressed during every decrease. It is very strange: After the agg taper, even though I can feel the slightest WDs, I am still upbeat and generally happy. I feel a sense of mental relief. Maybe there is a WD Quota of Pain you have to reach, and we knocked out a big chunk during those aggressive tapers? Who really knows...

Just this morning I was thinking, "Maybe I should mix up some .1 and .05 doses...see how long I can hold out/take it..." Then I asked myself "Why are you in such a hurry? Huh, Addict?" (I reflect upon the addict's universal issue with instant gratification.) I have to watch those old, sneaky behaviors, so I decide to continue the taper.

[Disclaimer: I am NOT recommending aggressive tapers unless you are able to deal with the physical and emotional stresses. If craving and sudden relapse are still issues you are working on/dealing with, I do not recommend aggressive tapering at all.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

annmarie wrote:

[Disclaimer: I am NOT recommending aggressive tapers unless you are able to deal with the physical and emotional stresses. If craving and sudden relapse are still issues you are working on/dealing with, I do not recommend aggressive tapering at all.]

I definitely agree, I was cutting by 50% EVERY WEEK, it was rough, especially every 3rd,4th & 5th day. Day 3 would be chills, some stomach cramps, Day 4 I'd be TIRED and kinda depressed, and day 5 I'd be totally spent, VERY TIRED. During these days I'd have some SERIOUS cravings (only once I was below 2mg, and this is really the only area I had ANY w/d's), and just when I'd start to feel good again, BAM, another reduction started.

I think that those of you who are doing the loooong slow taper, or the 10% every 4-7 days, jumping at or below .2mg are on the easy path. That being said, see up above in this post where I describe that I'm 90 or so hours off the Sub (jumped at .25mg/24hrs)...and I feel GOOD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey, dirt sounds like ur doing good glad to here.I've been off for 3 1/2weeks now day 4&5 where the worst for me but not bad at all I worked thru it.just more of a mind game for me. Just kept busy next thing u know it'll b over.after day 5 started feeling a little better every day.I know the feeling of no time off I have 2 kids 3&2. I felt pretty normal byjust over a week. So good luck stay strong kept thinking it in ur mind.congrats!ratt396

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ratt396 wrote:
Hey, dirt sounds like ur doing good glad to here.I've been off for 3 1/2weeks now day 4&5 where the worst for me but not bad at all I worked thru it.just more of a mind game for me. Just kept busy next thing u know it'll b over.after day 5 started feeling a little better every day.I know the feeling of no time off I have 2 kids 3&2. I felt pretty normal byjust over a week. So good luck stay strong kept thinking it in ur mind.congrats!ratt396

Ratt,

"keep thinking its in ur mind", I agree 100% that a LOT of the anxiety and nervousness is all in my head. Keeping busy is REALLY helping me, although I feel pretty decent!

Ok, UPDATE

Wednesday PM (DAY 3/4: Hour 96,5): Still feeling pretty damn decent, I've been having a bit of "nervous energy", LOTS OF SNEEZING, and a bit of stomach cramps, maybe a bit achy...but it's really NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT! This PALES in comparison to even a SIMPLE HEAD COLD, much less a full blown flu! I know I know, I could wake up tomorrow morning feeling like death warmed over, but I've gotta think that this far into it (the 96th hour marks the beginning of Day 4 for me), I'd be feeling at least SOME of the terrible wd's...I'm almost done w/ today, I'm going to enjoy the rest of it and if tomorrow sux, then so be it, I'm ready!

I'll give y'all an update tomorrow am, wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dirt,
I really think you're in the clear. I have heard of cases where people had delayed WD symptoms, but certainly you would have felt the worst by now. I think over 75% of the Sub is gone already. Your experience is really giving me hope.

Relax if you can, although the "when will it hit? how bad will it be?" anxiety can drive you nuts. I'm thinking the benzos can wipe a little of that out, if you are in a position to be able to take 1 or 2 without creating future addiction problems. You can also try a glass or two of wine with an indulgent meal. Exercise it off tomorrow, and you'll probably feel even better!!

Congrats!! I think you've made it!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

annmarie wrote:
Dirt,
I really think you're in the clear. I have heard of cases where people had delayed WD symptoms, but certainly you would have felt the worst by now. I think over 75% of the Sub is gone already. Your experience is really giving me hope.

Relax if you can, although the "when will it hit? how bad will it be?" anxiety can drive you nuts. I'm thinking the benzos can wipe a little of that out, if you are in a position to be able to take 1 or 2 without creating future addiction problems. You can also try a glass or two of wine with an indulgent meal. Exercise it off tomorrow, and you'll probably feel even better!!

Congrats!! I think you've made it!!!!

AM,

I'm not in a position to be taking benzos or to drink any alcohol, I'm pretty sure that would lead me right back unfortunately. I'm a full blown addict, which sux, but such is life.

Thursday AM(DAY 4: Hour 112): Last night I took Clonidine and Melatonin again b/c I was kind of "wired" feeling, after that I slept pretty damn well, waking up a few times but always being able to go back to sleep. I woke up this morning w/ a pretty bad stomach ache, it was the same kind of stomach ache I used to get when I "needed" more oxy, but it only lasted about 1hr then I was good to go. I'm still feeling a bit anxious, and I know now that it's not just "waiting" because I know I'm past that point. It's definitely not terrible, more annoying than anything else. I'm also pretty tired, but I guess that's pretty normal for day 4/5.

I'm going to compare my w/d experiences and other crappy feelings so everyone has an idea how I FEEL about Sub w/d (this is on a scale from 1-100, 100 being the worst):

1) Precipitated withdrawal: 95, I would say this is the worst thing I've EVER felt in my entire life, the whole package, this is HELL (I was pretty sure I was going to die, lol)
2) Full opiate withdrawal: 75, Yes it's terrible because it lasts for days and I felt 100% like crap in everyway possible (physical & mental, both awful)
3) Stomach flu: 60, vomiting and the like, pretty bad, I had one that lasted 2 days and it was almost as bad as opiate w/d (physically only, no mental component)
4) Common cold: 30, Not bad, headache, sniffles, coughing, achy
5) Sub w/d from .25mg: 20, mostly just annoying, sneezing, some difficulty sleeping (clonidine & melatonin helps GREATLY), a bit achy

Now, I wouldn't want to feel the way I do now for the rest of my life, but I COULD deal with it, same with a head cold. If the rest of my life were to be spent in opiate or precipitated withdrawl...there's no way I'd do it.

So guys, fear not, I can tell you, if you've been a long time opiate user you've probably felt withdrawal, and if you have and you taper on your Sub as low as you can, you're going to be in for a pretty smooth ride.

I'll update again at the end of today, but probably won't be back after that until Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Update:

First of all, I messed up earlier, it's Friday, not Thursday, lol,

EDIT: CRAP! I screwed up my days, go by the hour, that should be accurate, I got behind a day there somewhere, sorry!

FRIDAY pm (DAY 5: Hour 120): Ok, still nothing major, I'd say my biggest complaint is anxiety and tired feelings, but it's nothing major at all. I made plans to go out to dinner tonight, worked hard all day, dealt w/ BS legal issues, etc. Tomorrow I'm going out and doing stuff w/ the family all day, I may be a bit tired, but it's no biggie.

I'm 100% sure that I'm through the "worst" of it, which really was nothing much at all. To think that I may feel like this for another two weeks, even though I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen, IS NOT THAT BAD AT ALL!

Again, guys/gals, if you're tapering, stick with it, be patient, try to get at or under .25mg, you WILL be ok! I'm a wuss and if I can do it, so can you :)

I'll post again on Monday w/ an update for everyone. Have a great weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dirt,
That last post was INSANELY helpful. WD pain is so subjective and different for everyone. Describing your personal "sickness scale" really helped me understand how bad "not so bad" was for you. Thanks! And once again, I am relieved.

I should be able to jump within the next month, but once I reach .25/day, at least I know I can jump at any time if I get too impatient, or find myself with a convenient 4 days off from work. I've been in almost constant light, WD since mid February, so it probably won't be much different from how I've been feeling. Maybe I won't even notice!?! Ha!, Right.

Also, during WD, there is a (rebound effect) whereby the blood pressure becomes elevated. The physical feelings associated with high BP are often: nervousness, anxiety, restlessness and a general "speedy" feeling. Clonidine/Dilantin/Catapress address all of these symptoms, so that's why they works so well for WD. Some of the "anxiety" you are feeling may be due to high BP. If the Clonidine makes you too sleepy, try a half dose, or only take it at night. Plus, our CNS gets all shaken up during a detox. When the toast pops up out of the toaster, I jump a mile into the air!! I'm trying to spend a lot of time alone in quiet places. The library is good for that, too.

Congrats again on reaching the end, and helping everyone here. I seriously appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Alright guys and gals, it's MONDAY and I FEEL GOOD!

Friday night threw me for a loop, I'd been feeling good all day, then, at sleepy time, my arms and legs wanted to run/punch/throw...just DO something. Sleep sucked!

Saturday: I woke up feeling a bit tired, and kinda depressed, it wasn't terrible but I definitely didn't feel like myself. I managed to keep myself busy all day, hung out w/ the wife and kids, went out to the park, etc. I even made myself go to the gym THIS HELPED TREMENDOUSLY! I slept better on Saturday night than I have in a LONG time!

Sunday: I'm still kinda depressed, but this is normal for me, usually only for 1 day, day 5 or 6 of my taper, so this is par for the course. I still managed to do stuff, but was a total ass to be around, I was grumpy, plain and simple, yuck! Physically though, I was feeling pretty damn good, my anxiety was GONE, but I was soooo tired...Again, I forced myself to go to the gym and at least do some cardio, THIS HELPS SOOO MUCH PEOPLE!

Today Monday: I slept really well last night, I thought about not taking my Clonidine and Melatonin but took em anyway, the only complaint I've got is that I was SWEATING a lot, but I only woke up a few times (this is usual sleeping for me ). I ate breakfast this morning, had a Red Bull and went to work, I'm feeling like myself, no anxiety, no depression...just a regular crappy Monday YAAAY!

So, we'll see what tonight brings, I've heard that symptoms may come and go for a while, but I'm feeling good right now!

Keep at your tapers people! This ISN'T the horror story that I've read a million times! Keep in mind, there's TONS of people out there who don't have bad w/d, they just don't post about it on the internet!

I'll update again at the end of the day (but only if there's a change), otherwise tomorrow morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey man keep the updates coming. This kind of stuff helps us all a ton. Your experience on sub is a lot like mine (low sex drive, low energy, not feeling like yourself). I'm down to .25 mgs or so and am starting to get ready to get off. I am just starting counseling so I want to wait to get going with that before i get off. Do you think the counseling and meetings help? What about them help? I"m having a hard time seeing how it's helping me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok guys,

UPDATE

Tuesday (DAY 8 or 9?): Last night I didn't take any Clonidine or Melatonin, I slept ok, but was SWEATING really badly all night, I'm talking soaked sheets and blanket, I ended up getting some beach towels at around 2:30am. Pretty gross, but nothing a shower and a cycle in the washer/dryer didn't fix! I'm still running on about 80% energy, but other than that, I'm feeling GOOD! I have the occasional wave of anxiety, but it passes quickly now.

I'm going to dump the rest of my Sub down the toilet tonight (I've only got a few crumbs left), I'm done!

Suboxone saved my life guys, don't believe all the horrible things you read on the internet about the w/d, I'd do it again if I had to, taper down below .25mg and you'll BE FINE! I'm an addict and a complete wuss when it comes to discomfort AND I DID IT SO YOU CAN TOO!!! Someone asked me, "How much would I have to pay you to get off Sub again?", I told him 3 grand (I don't want to sound like an ass, but $3000 isn't anything huge for me, wouldn't even come CLOSE to paying my bills for a month), just to put that in perspective, I told him it'd take 100 grand to do a regular opiate detox and 500 grand for me to go through precipitated w/d again...now that doesn't sound that bad does it?!

Good luck w/ your taper's guys YOU CAN DO IT!

I'll post an update tomorrow if anything changes, otherwise I'll keep checking in every few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hawker1 wrote:
Hey man keep the updates coming. This kind of stuff helps us all a ton. Your experience on sub is a lot like mine (low sex drive, low energy, not feeling like yourself). I'm down to .25 mgs or so and am starting to get ready to get off. I am just starting counseling so I want to wait to get going with that before i get off. Do you think the counseling and meetings help? What about them help? I"m having a hard time seeing how it's helping me.

Hawker,

I've been in counseling, I'm not sure if it helped or not, but it definitely didn't hurt. The reason I'm a big advocate of AA/NA is that I managed to stay clean and sober for 12 years by engaging in them. I must admit, I don't go as often as I should, but it really helps to remind me that I'M AN ADDICT, and will have the disease FOR LIFE. That's just how it is for me. Also, the sex drive comes back VERY quickly, LOL. The energy is still trickling in for me and I definitely have SOME of my mental clarity back, but it comes and goes. I know some people can be 100% on Sub, but not me.

If you're at .25mg already, you're kicking major ass! If I had it to do over again I might do one final drop, either skipping days on .25mg or maybe going down to .125mg or something. But even .25mg was WAY doable, didn't miss a day of work or being w/ my kids (and they're a HANDFUL LOL, twin 5 month olds)

Remember, there's no rush, be patient and do it WHEN YOU'RE READY, Sub is WAY better than opiates man! I shudder to think about my last few days using oxy...ugh...we're lucky to be alive! I used that a lot to put things in perspective, when comparing to all the terrible things I did on oxy, the side effects of Sub seem like a Godsend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Dear Dirt rider or anyone that may be able to help. I just found this forum and am hoping someone can help. . .
Im wondering if anyone has stopped taking suboxone while pregnant? I am 7 months pregnant & have been taking suboxone (2mg twice a day)`off and on( When I can find it. otherwise taking percocet) since the beginning, but not through a doctor. When I found out I was pregnant, I was taking percocet for a bad shoulder and tried to stop taking it, but was experiencing alot of withdrawal symptoms, so tried suboxone, that a friend recommended. My obgyn doesn't know & either does my regular doctor. I have an apt today with my regular dr, & am not sure what I should do. I have other children and am nervous to tell my doctor because i'm scared that if I do my children might get taken from me. I am also scared that my baby will be born addicted and suffer from wd if i dont tell. I am going to have a c-section but it's not like I'll have time to stop taking subs first becaus I usually have my children early, so I wouldnt know when to stop taking it so the pain meds would work!! Should I stop everything? I haven't told anyone except my husband about this, & he's not understanding at all. He thinks I should stop taking subs & start thinking about the baby & deal with the wd. I am soo depressed and dont know what to do. I cant sleep at night with all these thoughts running through my mind and need help asap. If anyone has any suggestions, please share. Thank u soo much!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

MomOf5.

Welcome! There are so many helpful people here, you will soon discover how amazing they all are!

I am not a medical professional, and I have never been preggo on Subs, but from the research I have done, I know that babies born to mothers addicted to opiates/opiods are also physically addicted, and usually must be detoxed before leaving the hospital. It depends on the particular opiate, the amount that you are taking, and the amount that has been getting to the baby. Opiates are also secreted in breast milk, so if you are still on Sub after you deliver, the baby can become physically addicted via breast feeding.

If I were in that position, I would try to speak with a doctor asap. Do you have a friend who is a Dr that you could talk to "off the record?" Maybe you could email/pm Dr J (he runs this site) and ask? 4mgs/day of Sub is a lot to suddenly withdraw from. I would hate for you to do anything that might be physically stressful or harmful to your new baby, or that may affect a healthy delivery.

The important thing is that you are concerned, and you obviously care very much about yourself, your recovery, and your new baby. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

AM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi momof5 and welcome to the forum,

Personally I think you should get a doctor's advice, but in lieu of that, Dr. Junig just posted this in February of this year.
It's on addiction in newborns and I think suitable to your situation:

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/?p=1769

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.