It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm feeling miserable at the moment -- just starting a kick from oxycodone.

A bit earlier I had committed myself to seeking buprenorphine treatment (in no small part because of Dr. Junig's videos).

I found the website for "The Fayetteville Clinic" (I'm in North Carolina) and it boasted "same day appointments" and "same day treatment."

I called the number on the website only to learn that it links to a scheduling hotline on the west coast which doesn't open until 11 a.m. my time (the clinic itself opens at 5 a.m. and closes at 1 p.m.).

The guy on the phone caught himself chuckling when I told him what I read on the website and had taken as Gospel. "Who knows what they put on those websites?" he said. I was not amused.

He suggested I call the clinic directly, but conceded that he wasn't sure whether I'd have any luck that way.

So... what are my chances? If I'm willing to make the calls and then make the drive, do I have a realistic shot of being seen somewhere today? I do have insurance, if that matters.

I don't have any previous addiction treatment, and I'm afraid if I can't find some place on Monday, I may go back.

And obviously I signed up to ask this question, but if I can get this started, I'll most certainly be back. Thank you all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

From my experience I doubt you will be able to get in that quickly. I had to wait a month for my induction appointment. Although it may work differently where you are from. You may also be able to get into a place quicker if you're from a big city only because their are probably a lot more doctors who are able to prescribe. I live in a smaller town and about 45 min away from a bigger city which only had four suboxone doctors. I think your best bet would be to go to suboxone.com and type in your city and just go down the list and call every doctor and see which one could see you the quickest.

I know waiting is horrible. The month I had to wait was the worst! I just wanted to be done with my addiction so everyday seemed like a year. Hang in there. Even if you have to wait a few weeks it will definitely be worth it in the end. And don't give up. Keep calling and calling till you find a doctor to get you in. There is also another website where you can find doctors I believe it is naabt.com. That might not be right someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope I could help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Savoy,

I'm sorry you are feeling bad right now. I know exactly what you are going through and it's not pretty. I don't want to discourage you, but unfortunately I think you might have to wait a little bit before you get into the doctor. At least in my area it usually takes at least a few days to get in, if you can find one who is taking patients. Of course if they say same day appointments on the website then maybe they operate differently. I would definitely call them as soon as they open and see. It can't hurt to try.

But what I'm concerned about is what if you can't get in tomorrow? I hope you will go ahead and schedule an appointment at the earliest time available and still go and get in the program. What made you decide to do it today? I'm guessing maybe you couldn't find your DOC and it was just an easy time to go since you are already in WD...that would be perfect if it would work out that way. But even if you have to wait and go through this again I want you to know it is soooo worth it. Can you tell me a little bit about your addiction history? It helps us to know a little bit about you before we start offering opinions. I'm sure you understand none of us here are doctors and we can only give you opinions based on our own experiences.

Hang in there...please don't give up on the idea of getting treatment if you can't get in tomorrow.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. Obviously not what I was hoping to hear. I'd love for someone to come along who thinks otherwise, especially if they've had an experience in my general geographical location.

You can google "The Fayetteville Clinic", if you care to see the site I am referencing for yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I see they offer methadone as well. Maybe you could go on that until you are able to go in for your induction on suboxone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I do see where it says we offer same day appointments. I would definitely call them as soon as you can. If by chance they are full you should call other doctors in your area. If they can get you in but not right away you could consider methadone in the meantime or call around to other doctors to see if you could get an appointment sooner. I'm not sure why they would put same day appointments on their website and then act like you were any idiot for bringing it up. That doesn't really make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I plan on making an appointment, not matter how I make out tomorrow -- but I will be positively crushed if I can't be seen soon.

As far as my history, I picked up prescription pills like most kids do, from their parents' medicine cabinet. Then I had my wisdom teeth out, and that was nice.

Then in college I found the fantastic world of online pharmacies and got somewhat heavy into hydrocodone. The first time I kicked from that I had no idea what was happening to me. I suffered from a crippling depression that scarred my soul.

From there I moved on to poppy pod tea, which I used for years in college. I was a heavy daily user for two years, and spent way too much money on the product. Somewhere in there I had to quit because of a health problem, and that was a bad kick, to be sure. I stayed clean from that for probably six months.

Two years ago I started enjoying oxycodone. I've been a daily user for a year and a half, at least. I don't have the biggest habit, at several hundred milligrams per day, but it is eating all of my free cash and of course when I stop for even a few hours, that familiar feeling of abstinence syndrome starts. And I can't sleep because of the RLS that affects my arms and legs, profuse sweating, hot and cold flashes, and the usual associated depression -- you guys know the deal.

But yeah, I've had enough. And, accustomed to instant gratification, I'd like to begin treatment on my schedule...

Sorry to download my life story, but you asked!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I looked at the website...it does say that they offer same day appointments and in "most cases" you can start treatment immediately. It looks like this is a pretty large facility. It might be that they have enough doctors on staff that you could get lucky. The problem is that doctors are only allowed to have I think 100 patients at a time in treatment. And in most areas the doctors work at full capacity most of the time. The wait lists are crazy sometimes. But the fact that they take insurance and that the initial fee is less than $100 is a really good sign. I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. Call them first thing in the morning and be ready to roll if they say you can come.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes ok? This might be a good clinic to recommend to others if it works out for you!

-Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Will do, but I'm not hopeful about it. The guy on the phone (from California ... the place that owns this clinic makes appointments from there) literally said "I don't know who put that up there."

And if you call the clinic's direct line voicemail it refers you to that number in California if you're looking to make an appointment. That place which only opens at 11 a.m. EST -- two hours before the Fayetteville place closes.

Anyway, thanks for the support. I'm about to really be in it over the next few hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to add that going from methadone to suboxone isn't the easiest thing from what I hear. If you are going to go the suboxone route I wouldn't mess with the methadone. Methadone stays in your system alot longer than your oxycodone and I think they recommend like 72 hours off of it before you start suboxone instead of the 24 hours they recommend for shorter acting opiates. There are threads about this on this forum, check them out before making that decision.

Thank you for sharing your history...I was just making sure you weren't into shooting up, I would hate to see you leave here and OD and never make it back and have a chance at recovery. That's why I asked...I don't mean that what you are doing isn't dangerous, but not as dangerous as someone injecting drugs. Stay strong dude. You can do it!

-Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OK, I'm in. Just met with the intake counselor. They're maintenance friendly too. Will follow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow!

Good for you! I'm so happy they could get you in! Let us know how you do k...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:58 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It sounds to me like it's a medication assisted treatment facility (formerly mehtadone clinic) and in those settings there isn't the same 100 patient limit seen in private practice/primary care settings. Depending on the state, and I've forgotten where you are, it's sometimes dosed on a daily or 6 days per week basis as methadone is, some states have laxed those regulations as in mine and in some the medical directors of the facilities prescribe under DATA 2000 and write bi-weekly or monthly after the initial first couple weeks. At any rate, good choice and good luck!

T

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Turns out the phone number they had listed on their website was to the West Coast hotline for the company that owns them, and a number of other similar facilities. I called this facility directly and, after making a quick phone call just to register, I was taken back for counseling and to face the mountain of forms about 30 minutes after arrival (I called at 5:10 a.m. Got there at 6:20. Was first seen around 6:50).

I was a little surprised to be flatly asked "so do you want to be on Subutex or Methadone," and I said the former. After urine and blood tests (and a false positive for benzos ... they said it happens all the time, and I am ABSOLUTELY sure it's false) I probably met with the doctor around 9:40 a.m.

Then: 2 mg at 10 and then a further 6 around 10:30. I felt better not long after. Not completely well, but a lot better. The doctor said a good maintenance dose for me will probably end up being around 16 mg in the beginning.

Apparently after a month or so I will be allowed to start taking home the dose, and there will be some mandatory counseling involved -- either one-on-one or group. I think for two hours a week.

It is about a 40 minute drive, but I'm not really bothered by that. If I'm feeling sick, I like knowing that they open at 5 a.m. as well. According to staff, the folks on Methadone are in the queue by 4:50 a.m. And they are open seven days a week (Sundays for dosing only, I believe)

I do hope I'll be able to transition to take-home, and I may even look into a smaller private practice is less restrictive. I understand that is a ways off, but visiting that place every day could really start to bum me out I sensed.

It was a depressing scene. One guy walked in completely dope sick with his pajamas and a blanket draped over him, pleading that they let him back for his Methadone dosage (which he'd skipped for a few days). I felt so bad for that fella. Another man just strolled in out of the rain with a hospital gown and slippers on. And there were a handful of people at various times all saying similar things to the effect of "This place just wants to get you hooked and get your money. They don't care about you." That was a little disconcerting.

This struck me as a place that is definitely in it for the profit -- at least the larger company that owns their facility and a number of others -- but the staff seemed understanding and open-minded.

Finally, there's no way I would've had the courage to even go in for treatment without Dr. Junig's videos and this forum, which I've peaked at periodically over the past six months or so. Even now I can hardly believe I've done it.

Anyway, cheers to you all and thank you for your encouragement. If you're in a tight spot in North Carolina and looking for help and to make a change, you can certainly be seen same-day at this place.

EDIT: Oh, and I paid less than $40.

Post subject: A few concerns
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey SavoyTruffle. I have been using some/any mind altering substance for 30 yrs. I have kicked a few times (doc hydros) with no long term success at recovery. Not until last yr July 16, 2012 after a brutal relapse lasting 4 months, did I commit to taking back my life.
Sounds like your induction went very well. You may be one of the lucky ones! The Clinic you found sounds like a grade A place. My concern for you regarding your sentence "I may look into a smaller practice that is less restrictive." My sub doc had me sign a commitment form with a set of rules I must abide by or risk being thrown out of the program. I believe that for me being an addict I need to have this strict of a program so I keep on the path of active recovery. I realize we are all different and have different needs. I'm just saying in the first throws of clearing your head and giving recovery all you got restrictions are usually a positive thing. Also regarding the clinic being depressing and seeing the dope sick guy and the hospital gown man, I see these sights as a constant reminder of where I don't want to be ever again! And maybe your addiction doesn't need all that to keep u clean. Like I said earlier you may be one of the lucky ones.

Don't mean to harsh on you. I am only speaking from experience and the heart.

Post subject: Good Luck!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So after all of that I wanted to say way to go for seeking treatment yourself. This is usually the most effective way for a strong recovery. You made the choice for you. Stay strong, Love yourself, be kind to youself and a huge"GOOD LUCK".
This forum has so much to offer! Keep posting!

Post subject: Re: A few concerns
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I appreciate your concerns. As I mentioned before, I understand I'll have to earn take home responsibilities in whatever setting I end up in. And I expect that to take time.
I'll explain flatly what I meant: The clinic made me feel a lot worse. Guilty, even. Because my addiction had been a rather convenient one in many ways I've never been in that kind of environment. I've literally never met another addict before, that I know of. When you order online, you never come face-to-face with your dealer or with criminals or with addicts ... except maybe in the mirror, but alas.
And I'm driving almost an hour each way, every day. It's worth it. But eventually I would like to not have to do that every day, including Sundays, and I would like to be able to earn that privilege.
It sounds like I was able to get into the clinic's Suboxone program (I think via the DATA 2000 doc there, as mentioned earlier), so hopefully this won't be a problem.
Maybe I will change how I feel about this, but right now I'm not sure going in there every morning is going to be good for me. It rather severely bums me out.

kns67 wrote:
Hey SavoyTruffle. I have been using some/any mind altering substance for 30 yrs. I have kicked a few times (doc hydros) with no long term success at recovery. Not until last yr July 16, 2012 after a brutal relapse lasting 4 months, did I commit to taking back my life.
Sounds like your induction went very well. You may be one of the lucky ones! The Clinic you found sounds like a grade A place. My concern for you regarding your sentence "I may look into a smaller practice that is less restrictive." My sub doc had me sign a commitment form with a set of rules I must abide by or risk being thrown out of the program. I believe that for me being an addict I need to have this strict of a program so I keep on the path of active recovery. I realize we are all different and have different needs. I'm just saying in the first throws of clearing your head and giving recovery all you got restrictions are usually a positive thing. Also regarding the clinic being depressing and seeing the dope sick guy and the hospital gown man, I see these sights as a constant reminder of where I don't want to be ever again! And maybe your addiction doesn't need all that to keep u clean. Like I said earlier you may be one of the lucky ones.

Don't mean to harsh on you. I am only speaking from experience and the heart.

Post subject: I get It!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there Savoy. So basically you are a closet addict. LOL! I do hope that soon you earn the "take home privelages". It was a relief for me when my sub doc finally wrote a month sript. Now that I am remembering those days I too was bummed having to go in each week! And you must go in everyday? Yes that would take a toll on me as well. Again I hope you get there soon! Stay strong, don't let that crap get to you to much. You deserve recovery!

I am interested in how u came about using in the first place. You may have said in your previous posts, seems it was fast and furious/short term to not have delved into the usual addict environment?

Anywho, hope u r well today!

Peace Kristi 8)

Post subject: Re: I get It!
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

kns67 wrote:
Hey there Savoy. So basically you are a closet addict. LOL! I do hope that soon you earn the "take home privelages". It was a relief for me when my sub doc finally wrote a month sript. Now that I am remembering those days I too was bummed having to go in each week! And you must go in everyday? Yes that would take a toll on me as well. Again I hope you get there soon! Stay strong, don't let that crap get to you to much. You deserve recovery!

I am interested in how u came about using in the first place. You may have said in your previous posts, seems it was fast and furious/short term to not have delved into the usual addict environment?

Anywho, hope u r well today!

Peace Kristi 8)

I started like I would assume many people do -- wisdom tooth surgery seven years ago, right? Then parents' medicine cabinet. Then the internet. For a few years in college I went over to pod tea. Then about a year and a half ago I started daily use of oxycodone, with the odd other opiate to fill in the gaps (Dihydrocodeine mostly). All oral. I'm afraid of needles, and I never even liked to nod very much. I just wanted that opiate effect and to feel better, as I'm naturally a little blue.

Thanks to the Internet and the fact that I managed to get through college and hold down a job, I could afford a habit that had grown to several hundred milligrams of oxycodone per day over the past several months. Although affording it was not as easy as it used to be, to be sure.

When I noticed my habit starting to balloon, I finally got sick of being sick when my online source didn't come through in time.

I've had to kick twice cold turkey, once before I knew what withdrawal was and the second time because I felt like some panic attacks I was having were associated with use (they weren't). Both kicks were from smaller habits than this -- and both took something out of me and made me a darker person. You can't forget that experience. Not ever. And I didn't want to do it again.

Hopefully I'm one of those people about whom Dr. Junig is talking when he says that with buprenorphine, people can be helped earlier in the cycle of addiction.

And again, thank you for your interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ive been around people who take stuff pretty heavily, not so sure if they were what you say addicted like I myself. I wasn't around them on a daily basis to see if they could kick the habit when it came time to or the money ran out. Back when I was in active addiction, I thought about ordering off the Internet but I was always told that it was just sugar pills or a placebo. Which is why I never ordered and not to mention all the sites that I found wanted a script anyways. Ive done some horrid things, going from parents medicine table next to their bed, mom's purse, mother in law's purse and medicine stash. I am very happy to be where I am right now and hearing Mom talk about the addict out the road, or hearing my husband talk about his cousin who is broke all the time and we aren't sure that its due to pills but I am guessing that it is, it really makes me feel a hundred percent better knowing that I was once there.
When you walk into an environment like that, I understand feeling sympathy for those people but you have to reassure yourself with the fact that you aren't in that place anymore. So you are taking Suboxone and having to go in every day? Ive never heard of a place doing that or is it Methadone? I know the Methadone clinic nearby wont even think about take home doses until you have been there six months to a year and its only taking home one days worth. I think they eventually let you take a weekend's worth after you have been there a year. There is no way in the world that I could afford to drive to my doctors office even once a week. Good going though finding a place that is affordable. It is so hard these days to get treatment even for something other than addiction.
I think it is just insane that it costs what it does just to get in the doctors office. It costs me 300 a month, here in Kentucky its few and far between for affordable clinics. It is also pretty much impossible to find a Subutex writing doctor even if you have clean urine tests and never touched a IV drug.
Congrats on getting into treatment, the first doctors appointment that I went on took me a week to get into. I called on a Friday and I got in on Thursday of the next week.