It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Today I went to pick up my first script of Suboxone and it was almost $900. Obviously I have NO insurance of any kind.

I'm wondering if there is any sort of financial programs to help with this? There was one at the pharmacy but she said it probably wouldn't help. I am still filling it out, but I was wondering if there are any other options as well.

If there are any state programs I live in Oregon if that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Reckitt has a needy meds program for people with no insurance and under a certain income. Go to the Suboxone.com website for more info. Your doctor has to agree to participate because they send the pills to your doctor and the doctor dispenses them to you. The program is free meds up to 2 years.

900 seems high for a month of pills. What dose are you on? If it's more than 16mgs a day then you could probably take less. If it's 16 or less you're getting ripped off by your pharmacy. Or is that including the doctor visit?

Some pharmacies have discount cards for 15% or more off if you pay cash for your scrips. Call around and find out which ones. Most pharmacies should have Sub so shop around. Prices vary from place to place too.

Medicaid covers Sub and addiction treatment in some states. Does Oregon have a health plan like Washington's? You can call 211 and find out what's up with the government insurance.

Ok, I just googled for you and Oregon Health Plan does cover addiction treatment. You should call DSH or go to their website and see if you qualify. Sometimes there's extra $ to help people get clean. Washington has ADATSA which pays for some extras.

Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a couple things to add to 'DQ'-- the patient assistance program is unfortunately quite limited. Each doc can have one patient in it the first year, when he/she has a total of 30 patients or less. After a year, the doc can have up to 100 patients, and the company will let each doc have only 2 or 3 patients. We have a waiting list, but as you would expect it turns over very slowly.

As DQ said, $900 is WAY too much. I start most people at 16 mg per day, but if they are paying out of pocket I usually start at 8 mg. The local hospital never goes over 4 mg, or a half of a tablet. If you optimize absorption (I have a post about that at STZ) you get plenty of buprenorphine. You just have to take enough to stay over the 'ceiling'. I should mention that some people think that the more they took, the more Suboxone they need-- not true.

I would recommend starting at one tab per day, and over time you might go lower... you are a bit safer at 8 mg than at 16 mg if you ever needed emergency surgery, as it would be easier to overcome the block to get you pain pills.

At one tab per day, you would be paying around $150-$200 per month. I have not heard anything yet about the generic situation-- such as who will be making it. Once that happens, I would expect it to cheapen more.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: help for you
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

try Needy Meds I know quite a few people who had help with their Suboxone here.