It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So I've been on 16 mg of subs for about 5-6 years now. I'm not even sure actually. I was a heroin user for a few years IV use. I've been "clean for the past 5 years just on the 16 mg of subs. I like them because hey keep my anxiety and depression at bay, the original reasons why I started using drugs to begin with. I would stay on Subs long term but there's some big things that make me want to stop. I seemed to have lost my passion for the things I used to love. For example I will be extremely content doing absolutely nothing on my days off just laying in my bed all day. I used to have such passion to travel and see the world and I have , but since subs all of that passion has subsided. Recently I did lose 60 pounds and found a new passion in the gym though, so that's good. But I want my passion for life back, I hate being so content with just living my life so stagnant ! the other thing my hair is thinning and I am only 27, this should not be happening! My family has no history of baldness and I've always had the thickest hair. I will stop alone just for this reason. Has anyone had these same issues? Hair and lose of desire ? I have a girlfriend who I love and want to spend the rest of my life with and she Dosent even know about it . No one in my family does. I'm just scared I'll go off than go back to being depressed and anxiety ridden then right back to drugs ! Hmmm. Any help is great !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Half my practice consists of addiction-- mostly people on buprenorphine products. The other half is general psychiatry. I see people with your complaints in both groups of people equally. The only difference is that the first group can blame the symptoms on buprenorphine, and the second group blames them on themselves, their age, or their spouses!

As people grow up into their late 20's and 30's, they change. There is a reason that when you see people protesting, you see many more 20-y-olds' than 40-y-olds! As someone in his 50's, I can attest that it takes hard work to maintain one's interests, passions, and drives.

Yes, when people taper off buprenorphine they often say 'wow, I feel so great!'-- just like people in early sober recovery, or people who just completed anything that took significant work. I have a few patients who went through that entire process-- from grateful bupe patient, to 'trapped' bupe patient, to excited bupe stopper... and eventually to the same bored, middle-aged person they would have been on or off buprenorphine.... or in some cases to the motivated exercise fanatic that they would have been on or off buprenorphine.

I don't mean to discourage people from tapering off buprenorphine. If the time has come and you need to make the change, go for it. But don't fool yourself into thinking life would be much better without the medication. In most cases, life would have totally SUCKED without the medication. And in all the cases I've seen, long-term happiness and life-satisfaction has everything to do with perception and attitude--- not whether or not you're on buprenorphine.