It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

[font=Century Gothic] [/font] I feel so hopeful right now I can almost cry!!! I havent felt this way in so long I feel like my prayers have been anwsered (so far) I wrote my first post in here I think a week or so ago at the time I wrote it I felt soooo lost! I have had a Pain Pill addiction draggin me down for almost a yr now.I finally wanted out and I found this forum and started my search for doctors. It was not goin to well.I was havin problems with my insurance cuz I had recently just switched docs and wanted to switch once again when I found a sub doc that wanted to take my insurance. I called and made the appt and canceled twice cuz I'm so damn scared of my withdrawl. I also had not spoken to the doc so I had no idea what to expect or wheather or not I would even care for this doctor.

I came in here and saw someone had recomended a doc in my area so I called and could not get an anwser for about a week! I decided to take a shot and leave her a message (this doc) telling her exactly what was going on. She called me back the next morning and spent some time talking with me. It tunrs out shes a psychiatrist she takes my insurance and she is close by where I live!! I feel so hopeful and happy!!! I feel like that one call has changed my life forever! I feel so thankful! I won't have to switch docs since its a psychiatrist and its under the mental heath part of my insurance, I have an appt this week to see her just to talk and then i have my induction the following week! :D Don't get mt wrong I'm still freaked out about my withdarwl day but now I feel like I have it better planned out with my doc and I feel like I'm going to make it.

Was there anything that eased your pain during the day before your induction? I'm gonna keep as busy as i can.Would valium or anything like that help me? I have read you can't mix the two but I don't think it stays in your system for long. I know I have to wait 24 hrs she said.. which is really freakin me out ugh! It's so crazy how mentally this is so hard for me! I just know after about 12 hrs I'm hurting pretty bad. I'm taking 80 mgs of oxy a day. I take the time release off and usually cut it into a few pieces, I dunno if that matters or not. Maybe I could start induction sooner? Idk. Anyone firmiliar with this? another couple questions I had were do all insurances cover subs? If not they are pretty pricey I was told.About how much per bottle? I was also told sub therapy is usually a yr at the least. imo that seems like long time.Is that usually typical? I knw it depends on each person and their doc. How long have most of you been on subs if ya don't mind me asking. How long do you plan to stay on?

I just wanted to give you all an update on me and I will keep you posted after my induction! I'm so greatful to have found this wonderful group! without it I dunno if I would have even found my doc! Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply.Your opionions and suggestions mean a lot to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad to hear you found a doctor you like who takes your insurance. As for withdrawals before the induction, it's not so much how long, but the state of your symptoms. You have to be in mild to moderate withdrawals before inducing. The doctor may use what's called the COWS scale. You can Google it and should be able to find it easily. It describes different withdrawal symptoms and how bad they are before you should induce.

With regard to how long treatment is, well, a year isn't very long. For me I've been on coming up on two years, but I also take it for pain management and will likely be on it very long term. Just know that there have been recent studies that show when people go off suboxone after only short term treatment that the relapse rate is high. And more and more, it's thought that people should just stay on sub...period. Look at it this way, we have a life-long, incurable condition that can be deadly, just like other medical conditions. So why not take our medication for life just like diabetics take their insulin for life? Like I said, more and more people are thinking along those lines.

Clonodine is a better "comfort" meds during withdrawals than Valium, I believe. It's a blood pressure med, not a benzo and is said to help a little more, although Valium or other benzos can be used as well. (But I'm no doctor.) You won't be uncomfortable for too long, so you may not need anything. Also, I'm thinking that taking something like that would mask your symptoms and might prevent the doctor from accurately gauging your withdrawals. Not sure if that's correct or not, but it seems logical to me.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so happy for you Miss :) I know it's scary right now but I promise I felt the same way and I was soooo grateful to finally feel free of my addiction after I started Suboxone. God I used to literally cry because it was so wonderful to not have to find more drugs everyday. I didn't have to dose before I could go to sleep, I didn't have to dose before I could get up in the mornings. Taking Suboxone just once a day was so much easier than constantly having to find pay for or steal opiates every 4 hours so I wouldn't get sick. It's been truly wonderful no longer having to deal with withdrawal anymore :) As for comfort meds hatmaker already mentioned clonidine and that's the classic non narcotic drug to deal with the discomfort of withdrawal. If I were you I'd discuss this with your Psychiatrist and ask if she would be ok prescribing the medication for whenever you choose to stop taking oxycodone and prepare for induction onto Sub. Finally I have been taking Sub for nearly 4 years now and I've gotten so many of the things back I lost while I was using. I managed to get back into school and get a bachelors, I got back my most important relationships, and most importantly I don't have to worry about winding up dead from an overdose. Research has continually shown that virtually 100% of opiate addicts that discontinue maintenance medication will relapse within a year. It's not impossible but it simply doesn't work for the majority of opiate addicts. I wish you much luck and please feel free to PM me or the other moderators with any questions you may have. Also keep the posts coming and again we're so happy to have you with us :)