It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:11 am 

There have been rumors of Hydrocodone being changed to a class II narcotic. For the most part I didn't really think it would ever happen due to the fact that it is one of the most highly prescribed drugs on the market.

As of Oct 6th 2014, today to be exact, CVS pharmacy will no longer fill any Hydro products unless a written prescription is presented, and no refills can be put on it. They won't even fill old ones if there was still more refills left on it. In fact, they said they put back the refills that were already filled but not picked before the 6th. I can just hear all the yelling, crying, pleading, etc, to get their drug. Many people are not addicts and use it just to function. But they are still chemically dependent and will now have to go through withdrawal until they can get in to see their doctor. Just like all the other thousands doing the same thing. IMO, the DEA made a huge mistake on this one. It may all work out eventually, but I wouldn't want to be working in the medical field right now. Even worse, regular pain patients may revert to heroin just to get their fix. One, it's easier to obtain, and two, it's cheaper. (just my 2ยข)

I predict this will cause a lot of trouble for the pharmacy workers, doctors, and anyone who works in either office. Time will tell how this will work out. It is now the same as Oxycodone and Morphine as they require a written script.

What surprised me was that I saw no news coverage of it. Nothing in the newspaper or online either. Someone here mentioned it months ago but no new news was posted.

One more kicker. The pharmacist tech also said they are considering making Tramadol a schedule II also. Can you believe that?

Any comments?

rule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I heard a snippet about that this morning in the radio. ...Tramadol a schedule 2.... good god! I think it's a mistake also, and I truly feel for all of those whom this is going to cause pain to, not only those with physical pain but, .... We all know that the pain of withdrawal is a nightmare in its own right! I'm blown away that they even put back the ones that were already filled, but not picked up, by the 6th. Yea, I wouldnt work in a pharmacy today for 100 bucks an hour! I do hope no one goes off the deep end and everyone stays safe. Idk if this is going to help the problem, or just drive more people to heroin though. Smh? What does everyone else thinkabout hydrocodone being a schedule 2 now?

If tramadol is actually being considered for schedule 2 ststus... what's going to happen to buprenorphine? ?? Where will that leave us? Data 2000 only allows only schedule 3-5 drugs that are specifically approved to treat opiate addiction. I predict plenty of future bs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:18 pm 

Lizzie, Suboxone is already difficult enough to obtain legally. I am one of those who goes to a certified doctor that obeys the rules and won't put a refill on my script no matter what I say.

I just can't see them making Sub any harder to get. But then, I said the same thing about Hydro.

My wife talked to our CVS tech and she said all hell is starting to break loose. She's been screamed at a dozen times so far. It's always those on the front lines who take all hits. The person who answers the phone, cashiers, medical assistants, etc.

Funny how we haven't heard more about this. Maybe I'm wrong about it causing a huge backlash. Time will tell.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hope for everyone's sakes that you're right rule.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:28 pm 

They have done this, Imo to keep more pills off the street.
They (dea) want Dr's to think about how many scripts they write. To give them some time to evaluate each person on each visit to there office or clinic. This just happened to a friend of mine. No more scripts for him and his bad back. As needed he took them. It's really to bad that pain people are now having to jump though more hoops for what they need. As my x wife used to say, "your meeting it up for the rest of us who need these" and she was an is right.

There is much to read about all of this on line.
My x go's every month to her pain Dr. Just the way it is today.. Shame on me..
The point you brought up lizz is yes, could they make it harder on us sub folks? My fear is that more and more sub hits the streets and the government makes some kind of move on it. Idk.. I tend to not over think it to much and keep a stock..

Raz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just read this memo on the desk at the LTC facility I work In. It was from the DEA about changing the class of these meds. It said nothing about no refills (they have to have narc refills or it would be impossible to track a Dr down who only comes once a month as it is). It said they have to be submitted on a paper script, no call ins for it. If a Dr forgets and calls it in they will replace it with a similar med until they receive paper script and also a Dr CAN call it in for emergency reasons, a small supply.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:33 pm 

It caused some real damage to a close relative of mine. She takes Hydro for chronic restless legs syndrome. She's been told that her case is the worst they've ever seen. It even affects her arms. She inherited it from her father who also had it pretty bad. Now we all know why he drank so much.

The problem it caused was that she wasn't informed of the change until the Saturday before it began. She already had a refill coming and CVS cancelled it. She basically ran out and called her doctor who gave her a three month supply script. CVS can't fill it. They said they don't have enough until Friday, today, almost a week later.

Her doctor gave her some from his office supply to hold her over. He told her that people have been calling begging him to sell them some. It's pretty crazy out there. They had to call the police the first day because someone went ballistic. It should settle down shortly.

Do they really think this will keep the drugs out of addicts hands? No friggin' way! It will probably raise the street price of it though. The black market will always have it. Or maybe more people will try heroin because it's cheaper and easier to get.

Enough out of me on this subject. I really expected more chaos. It's good that I was wrong.