It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I'm finally done.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, this is my first time posting here, but I wanted to get some information about suboxone withdraws. I was on suboxone for a little over one year. Over this time, I have dropped from 8mg/day to 2mg/day. I just took my last 2nd dose Friday morning. I'm a little over 3 full days without taking any. My question is, how long does withdrawal last? And when can I hope to feel normal again. Yes, I feel bad now, can't really sleep, my back hurts, and I'm feeling down, but it's nothing compared to OC/Dilaudid withdrawal. So I'm curious, am I going through the rough part now, or can I expect it to get worse? If I could get an estimation of how long it usually lasts, and anything I can do in the mean time to make myself feel a little better, I would greatly appreciate it. I picked now to stop because I have a daughter on the way due next month. I also have finals next week and I hoped I would be better by then. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Drew,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm just looking for a little clarification, did you stop taking your Suboxone at 2mg? How long were you on the 2mg dose before you quit?

You're right, Suboxone wd is nothing like OC withdrawal. Suboxone wd tends to be less intense, but more drawn out whereas OC wd hits you like a freight train, but the acute stage of OC wd is usually over in 3 or 4 days.

If you don't mind clarifying the dose you stopped taking Suboxone at and how long you were at that dose, I think we could be of more help to you.

Oh Yeah, Clonidine is a Blood Pressure medication that is prescribed 'off label' for opiate wd. My doctor prescribed me .1mg twice daily and it helped more than any other med or vitamin or supplement I took. That's not a typo BTW, it's .1mg

Another thing to do to keep the wd's to a minimum is to keep your mind and body busy. Exercise helps tons, even though your body may be telling you not to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I should have clerified. I was down to w
2mg/day for about two months. I started at 8mg and every 3 to 4 months I would drop down 2mg.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Too High
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:31 pm 

Drew,

You didn't go down to a low enough dose to jump from. Read the tapering schedules here and use those, or talk to your doctor for a better wean down taper.

Mine told me that we go down a little every month until we get down to .50 or .25mgs. Then we start skipping a day every three days, then two, etc. But it's a schedule, which you don't have and need.

I would suggest you go back on and follow a slower taper to reduce the withdrawals you are feeling. Of course, this is just my 2¢ worth. There will be more suggestions from others here who know way more than I. Romeo for one is very knowledgeable. Let's see what he has to say.

Rule62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That was gong to be the plan, but my daughter is expected next month and I don't want to be tied down by any medication when she gets here. I'm not going to have time to drop that slow. I've already been on it over a year. I feel like my doc is squeezing me for cash. I'd be on it forever if it was up to him. I had to ask everytime to drop my dose. It was coding me around 400/month and I can't be dishing that out anymore.

But realizing that I should have stopped a lower dose, can anyone give me some info on how long there withdrawal took if they stopped around 2mg. My main concern is that I have finals coming up, and a daughter on the way. I'm about to be in day 4 tomorrow, and I just want an idea of how much fitter I have to go and if it's going to get any worse. My previous experience with withdraws from OC/Dilaudid would almost have been over by this point. Also any information on home remedys for this crazy backpain or anything to help get through the nights would help me out a lot. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That was gong to be the plan, but my daughter is expected next month and I don't want to be tied down by any medication when she gets here. I'm not going to have time to drop that slow. I've already been on it over a year. I feel like my doc is squeezing me for cash. I'd be on it forever if it was up to him. I had to ask everytime to drop my dose. It was coding me around 400/month and I can't be dishing that out anymore.

But realizing that I should have stopped a lower dose, can anyone give me some info on how long there withdrawal took if they stopped around 2mg. My main concern is that I have finals coming up, and a daughter on the way. I'm about to be in day 4 tomorrow, and I just want an idea of how much fitter I have to go and if it's going to get any worse. My previous experience with withdraws from OC/Dilaudid would almost have been over by this point. Also any information on home remedys for this crazy backpain or anything to help get through the nights would help me out a lot. Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Look for Romeo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:06 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I know Romeo on here dropped from a higher dose than that...He said he wouldnt recommend it but he did it...He would be glad to share his story.. He is just an awesome individual...he has been off for ten months and still stays around to help others out...They dont come any better than that. Look at some of his reply to posts in "Introductions" he always welcomes new people. Best of luck with your future with your new baby and good luck with you quitting of subs. Prayers are with you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Drew,

I've been looking around the threads because I remember another member, his screen name is inneed, he jumped from a dose similar to yours. Here is his thread that documents his progress, http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3270

I know his thread says "Day 4 off 4mg...", but if you read his first few posts, you'll see he's actually closer to the dose you jumped from.

Listen, if you're hell bent on jumping off at 2mg, you can do it. I jumped off at 5mg and I made it, but my wd was on the rough side......and long.

I've been paying particularly close attention to different methods people use to discontinue Suboxone for the 6 months I have been a member here. A taper down to the microgram level is by far the best route, but is sounds like your not going to be doing that and that's OK. You can realistically expect your wd symptoms to last weeks instead of days, they won't necessarily be severe, but you're more than likely going to feel them.

It's so very hard to give any kind of timeline to you beyond "weeks" because everyone detoxes differently it seems. The very best advice I can give you is to get some Clonidine from your doctor, exercise....even though your body says NO, keep your mind busy and keep visiting this thread of yours and posting how you feel......there are many members here who can offer you great advice and support.

Stay in touch Drew, you can do this!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I jumped from 2mg at one point. I felt that the physical withdrawals were mild compared to going off of full agonists. But emotionally I was a train wreck. At about day 10-13 I was deeply depressed. I ultimately ended up going back on Sub because I really wasn't ready and the timing wasn't right. However, I do believe it can be done. In fact, when I do go off I will probably do essentially the same thing. For me, endless tapering would just prolong the suffering. I might consider going down to 1mg and then eventually try to lengthen the interval in between doses. I will also need to up my anti-depressant, but I have a history of clinical depression. If you're not prone to that, it may not be as bad for you.
Good luck. Don't let anyone tell you you are doing it wrong. But do be sure you have a plan and support in place to stay off of opiates. A new baby can be very stressful and also puts a strain on the relationship. So if you find you need to go back on a low dose of Sub to stay clean, don't look at that as a failure. It's better than relapsing.
Let us know how it goes,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is day 5, and I feel pretty good. I still could not sleep well last night, and I seem to be waking up early, but that seems to be my only issue. I am still going to work and school, sometimes I might feel a little back pain but that's the only thing. I hope before Monday that it passes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Drew,

I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

That's great that you're able to go to work and school still!

Hang in there!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I probably should have mentioned this before...It takes about 6 half lives of a drug to leave the body completely. So for Sub that is about 9 days. You still have Sub in your system, which is why you don't feel too bad yet. For me, the withdrawal started at about day 5. The main physical symptom for me was extremely low energy. You can get through it. Take good care of yourself and get outside as much as you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Drew_Duluth, as has already been said, it's really hard to predict the length of your w/d symptoms. You will go through the bad ones once all the Sub is out of your body. So, like Lillyval said, don't be surprised if that kicks in after about 7-9 days. There seems to have been a number of people who report that their physical symptoms worsened until Day 10 or 14, after which they leveled out and then improved. The improvement is slow. You will feel like you are getting a bit better and then you will feel icky again and wonder if you are really getting anywhere. The emotional part is arguable the tougher part. You may feel quite dark at times. If you don't that's great. If you do, just know it's not because you are crazy. It's the way it goes. If that gets to be too much, please consider an antidepressant. I know, I know...another pill, right. However, you don't want to get too caught up in the mental thing. Trust me. Distraction is everything.

You are going to have a baby in the house soon!! I cannot think of a better distraction, and my honest advice is that you should try to hang on if you possibly can. Once your baby's here, it will be a lot tougher to take the time to do this. Plus, you will be so focused on your baby that I'd think that will make it easier to not be perseverating on your symptoms. KWIM? I'm starting to question the integrity of the tapering to microgram thing. I don't know if it actually makes it easier or just prolongs the misery, like Lillyval said. Sure, maybe it's easier when you do finally jump from a microgram dose, but getting to that tiny little microgram dose is NOT easy. If I could possible jump right now, I would. I'd just get it over with.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone, just coming back to update. I'm on day 13 now I believe. I feel like I'm getting back to normal. I'm still not back on my usual sleep schedule, but that's the only issue. I never got worse like some of you suggested, my worst days were 1-3. Since then I've only been getting better. I would be surprised if I were to get worse after 2 weeks of feeling fine. I thought that it would be must worse, but it's not too bad. I believe while my tapering method may be unconventional, it worked great for me. Thanks for everyones help and I will continue to keep you updated as to when I'm 100% my usual self.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

After a long time reading about Sub and experiencing it myself, I've realized one thing is very consistent, which is that there is little consistency. I'm beyond thrilled to hear that it's much better for you. YAYAYAY!!!!! Man, it gives me a lot of hope, too. I'm so scared of the 'jump' and here you are going to work and school while going through it. Good job! You must feel insanely relieved.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks. I really am happy about it. I no longer have to take any medicine to feel normal. It's been about two years that I needed a drug to be normal and get through the day. Now I'm finally done. It was a hard decision two. I never told my doc I was coming off. I just didn't want to pay anymore money and I wanted off the stuff. And best part is I got it done before my daughter was born, and right before finals. But you all can do the same thing. It took me about 2-3 days to feel as if I could go to work and school, and about 12 days to feel near back to normal. And that stopping at 2mg a day, and I was at 4mg before two moths ago. So know that you all can do it, and will not be dependent on any drugs soon. Thanks for all your help guys. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, drew, what an inspirational story! We hardly ever hear from people who taper off Sub so easily, so it's nice to know that it happens.

How are you doing?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've lost track of how many days it has been. But I'm officially back to normal, and just in time for my daughter, who could be here any day now. I quit after only beingon 2mg for 2 months, and if I had to do it again, I would do it the same way. I finished this semester with good final grades and in time for my daughter just like I had hoped. I wish all of you the best of luck. It can be done. I did it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so happy for you Drew! It's great to hear success stories.

I wish you the best of luck with your new baby daughter. Having a new baby in the house is wonderful and amazing, but it can also be quite stressful (especially the lack of sleep).

Just remember that we are here for you if you need us. Take care of yourself and your family and if you feel up to it, let us know how things go for you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:20 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Drew_Duluth wrote:
I've lost track of how many days it has been. But I'm officially back to normal, and just in time for my daughter, who could be here any day now. I quit after only beingon 2mg for 2 months, and if I had to do it again, I would do it the same way. I finished this semester with good final grades and in time for my daughter just like I had hoped. I wish all of you the best of luck. It can be done. I did it

Drew....that is so awesome. I am still new to sub but already cant wait to get off..Only because I cant seem to get stabilized and I get sick of worrying each day about how Im going to feel and how to properly take my medicine. I look forward to the day where I just dont thnk about it anymore. But Im still in a much better position now then where I was before subs.

Have you experienced any depression or PAWS at all?