It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congratulations thespaw. Very helpful and inspiring.

Like you I had 18 years clean and sober in AA when I basically quit going to meetings. I was given tramadol for osteoarthritis and withing a few months, I was abusing it.

I just started Suboxone 6 days ago. I was taking about 200 mg of oxy everyday. It's been a godsend. I fully expected to be in severe pain if I could have even made it to this point without subs. My Doc has me on a 14 day taper, and will not cooperate with a maintenance program. Of course I could find another doc, but after reading stories like yours, I'm not sure I even want to stay on it any longer than 14 days. I know it wasn't nearly as bad as a wd from a full opiate, but I would like to avoid it if I can. I didn't catch how long you were on the subs. Will it be easier if I quit at 14 days? Of course I'm already going back to my meetings almost every night, and working the steps again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It isn't ONLY suboxone that will cause the lengthy fatigue symptoms. Full agonists cause PAWS too and for about the same lengths of time. So even if you stop the full agonists and go on a 14 day sub taper program, you are likely to experience fatigue for the same lengths of time being reported here. People don't know because they never make it 60 or 90 days off full agonists as they tend to relapse. The difference with sub is that people who go on a maintenance plan will strengthen their recovery and develop a support system, etc. They get into therapy and get their lives back together. They distance themselves from using behavior. That way, when they go off the sub and start experiencing PAWS, they can do something OTHER than relapse and get through it. Hopefully. But many people will relapse off sub anyways and are quite frankly better off on sub forever.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill