It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Gang,

Currently down to 4 mg/s per day, which I don't think of as some great accomplishment. The near miraculous fact that bupe eliminates cravings while offering no high makes tapering fairly easy, as long as you take it slow. I don't know how many times I tried to taper meaningfully when taking my DOC. Even on those rare occasions I managed to cut down a little, I'd give back the gains and more because the temptation to chase that slightly higher high was always there. It's a miserable way to live.

My question is do you guys think I'd be better off switching to the 4 mg tapes, or the 2's? There are 2 mg/s, yes? Is one easier than the other in terms of cutting the tapes? I have to download that cutting guide, which I've been procrastinating over for some reason. Does that accommodate either size? Both? None?

I'm assuming the cost is about the same.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Godfrey.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:13 pm 

Hey Godfrey,
If it were me Id go with the 2mg. Im not sure just what your plan is exactly but getting down
into the below ceiling line will take time. I know you know this.

The first thing id do would be to download the Sub Cutting guide. Yes, it comes in 8mg and 2mg sizes. Have you looked at it yet at all? He also has a nifty calendar to go with it. Helps you keep track of progress. At least in a daily sence. The guide can get you oh so low. Almost to nothing at all. If it were me I do not see the need to use the 4mg...so.

There ya have it imo...

Razor. .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:21 pm 

Hey Godfrey!

Well u know I don't have much experience with tapering, I've only went down twice. They do make 4mg and 2mg strips. If ur on 4 then I'd assume either is fine to go with. Someone with better experience will have better advice though. Imo as long as ur on the strips, then ur good. Trying to taper to lower doses on the pills would be when it gets difficult.

I know I wasn't much help :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey,

I have gotten the 4 mg strips as well as the 2 mg strips, suboxone printed on the seal. The 4 mg are twice the size of the 2 mg so I guess if you are paying out of pocket I would see which would be more cost effective and go with what is cheapest.
The only downside to the 4 mg that I can think of is when you get to small doses the cutting and storing is more per strip, I tend to cut one up at a time and make seals from tin foil and store them back in the original package marked with the dose. Sometimes along the way you will cut .125 and .25 doses to make adjustments then having them done already makes it easier if you had stored them. Say you want .875 I took a .5, a .25 and a .125 to make that particular dose. Obviously doses like 2 mg are easy but often I had to take more than one piece at a time.
The thing I like about the tin foil is that I can easily grab small pieces with a tweezers off of it for dosing purposes, I make my seals about 2 in. by 2 in. so I have a surface to work with, you hold it bend a crease in it and when a corner is exposed snatch it with the tweezers which aids in getting it under your tongue properly.
Good luck along your journey I just started sharing my experience in a thread if your interested in some current "true" information, nothing horrid about it,

take care

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Godfrey,

I had an afterthought. I don't use the cutting guide I just half everything out. The thing that is most helpful is light, (reading glasses if you don't see well) and the tool to get is a cuticle scissors they make it easy to make accurate cuts even with very small pieces, avoiding a razor blade on a tiny piece of film. Just a suggestion I am sure with some trial and error you will come up with a system. I was able to cut 8 mg films to .125 by cutting a .25 at a diangle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks to all of you for this valuable information and encouragement! I'm on the way out the door
to my bupe doc, and will discuss the matter with him. Razor I think I will go with the 2's. Owl crow, that's all invaluable information. Greatly appreciated. I've been unsure what do with my clippings, so you answered that nicely for me.

And Jennifer! You were too of great help. That you cared enough to weigh in always means a lot. :)
It's your way of saying you care, and who can ever get enough of that! Certainly not me. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:19 pm 

I too take roughly 2 mg's now. On a recent post I explained how I divide up the 4 mg film. Cut it in 3rds, then those in half. That's a 3 day supply at 1.63 mg's per day. So I only dropped .37 from my 2.

We all do it a little different and I don't even try to measure it very well. Just eyeball it and go from there. Don't do a drastic drop or you'll regret it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
We all do it a little different and I don't even try to measure it very well. Just eyeball it and go from there. Don't do a drastic drop or you'll regret it.

Agreed, rule. My doctor who's the impulsive type, decided out of the blue to drop me down 1 full mg in today's prescription. That's a 25 percent reduction, and I'm now below the ceiling effect! Fortunately he's also
pretty flexible and agreed to keep me at the same dosage and let me work my way down at my own pace. I really hate the feeling of being at this fellow's mercy. He's a nice guy but he's got the power to do pretty much whatever he wants, even if it's not in my best interest.

I want to say that I appreciate your ongoing warnings about going too fast. You've had my back since I got here, and I'm grateful to you. I imagine it's going to be a long slog from here on down. I do worry about the return of cravings, and don't want to have to live that way. All I can do is feel my way along and see how I do. i might well find that I can't get comfortably much lower than 2 mg say...just to pick a number. I think I'd be satisfied with that as a kind of compromise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:04 am 

Considering I did take it a year before getting down to a lower dose, I never ever felt any cravings at all. Even at 1 mg one would think the cravings would come roaring back, but they didn't. So don't even give that one any thought or concern. The nice thing about this medication is if by chance you do get some cravings, and that is highly doubtful, all you need to do is go back up to a higher dose. No big deal IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One of the great gifts of this place is the depth of experience and knowledge people are willing and even eager to share. I've been taking it for granted that cravings will return at some point, and of course that's a troubling prospect for any addict. That I might not have to deal with them provided I move down slowly enough is really encouraging.

When I first got here I was skeptical that bupe would actually repress most or even all cravings. How could that be? Where would the cravings go? (idiotic question I know). And what would that feel like? I'd been living with this terrible junk hunger for 12 years. It defined my life. I was never satisfied. Even when I managed to get decently high which happened less and less frequently, my desire for more would only increase.

Rotten way to live

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 am 

Man 'o man, do I remember thinking the same thing in the beginning. I was a member of an addiction recovery site before joining this one (yes, a moderator there too) and a member told me about Suboxone. I had never heard of it back in '08-'09 and sincerely doubted it would remove my intense cravings. Like you said Godfrey, it ruled my life completely.

Once induced, I just could not believe it was true. Never in my life had I taken a medication that worked like Suboxone did. For the first few days I think I could have stopped any habit I had. Drinking, smoking, over eating, anything at all. There just wasn't any craving for anything at all. Didn't find out it was an opiate until later.

After a few days and then weeks I stabilized and got back to normal. But as a recovering alcoholic, there is still no desire to take a drink. Being sober for 30 surely doesn't hurt! But it still was a weird experience in the beginning.

Nowadays, I guess there's a chance to be addicted to gambling or some other mind altering drug. But with enough sobriety behind me there is no worry but I still need to be on guard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Completely agree that had I/we known and believed bup truly would deliver, I/we wouldn't have stayed out so long.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:01 am 

Yes! I actually have a hard time when I think about not finding suboxone sooner because I lost so so much including temporary custody of my children and my house I'd worked so hard for. If I'd found suboxone a few years sooner, things would have turned out completely different for me. That makes me very sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jennjenn wrote:
Yes! I actually have a hard time when I think about not finding suboxone sooner because I lost so so much including temporary custody of my children and my house I'd worked so hard for. If I'd found suboxone a few years sooner, things would have turned out completely different for me. That makes me very sad.

Yes, Jenn, me too. Nice to have all this identifying with each other going on. It feels good...and healthy.

And I think you state very well, something we all must think from time to time, "why the hell didn't I find this medication sooner?" I suppose when you boil it all down, that's the most important function of this forum, to spread the word so that others don't have to suffers so long!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 am 

I was so very fortunate that once I told on myself to my pain doctor, the resources he gave me included an addictionologist. Although that addictionologist was full, his office referred me to the doctor who is still my buprenorphine provider today. My pain doctor gave me an additional script of percocet to make it until I could get in to see my new doctor. So except for the withdrawal I went through for induction, I have never truly gone through full opioid withdrawal. I know that I'm one of the lucky few.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 am 

jennjenn wrote:

This breaks my heart because I know how very much a mother loves her children! I hate that your ex was so vindictive because, like the rest of us, you have a brain disorder that makes it hard to help ourselves. We usually need someone on the outside that can help lead us in the right direction. I wish I had somehow been there to help. Thank God that you are here, that we are here, helping ourselves now and helping others at the same time. Having the ability to help others is such a gift.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:52 pm 

Thank u Godfrey and Amy, we're all in this together. U know, I hear ppl say all the time that things happen for a reason and it's all part of a bigger plan.... not sure if I believe it or not but if so I know I'd never met my fiancé. But that's a pretty extreme way to meet someone lol. I'm thankful though, regardless how late in my addiction I found buprenorphine, I'm still very thankful and I know all u guys are too :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:10 pm 

Godfrey, I made a mathematical error in my division of 4 mg's. Just how I can't say because I used a calculator just like I did again.

But 4 mg's cut in 3rds and then in half = 1.33333 mg's per day, not the 1.63 I had written previously. One would think I'd feel that sharp of a drop but I don't. So my next drop will be to 1 mg daily where I'll probably stay for quite a while. Give me a month or two and I'll ask my doctor for the 2 mg films instead. That'll make him happy.

Even with this low dose I still get a bit drowsy when reading after lunch. The combination of digestion along with being retired and not doing much physical activity is probably to blame. Because if I have work to do after lunch I feel fine and energized.

Just an update. I could have edited the post but then you wouldn't have seen it.

Hope all is going well with your taper.

r

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:07 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

i went from 8mg films which i was cutting into 16 pieces! to the 2mg films, which i'm cutting into 8 pieces. they are the same size! also i just cut in half, then cut those in half etc.
my co-pay is the same no matter what, $25 for the brand name. the only reason i had to stay on the 8mg was to stockpile, which i did.
i so far ahead. i waited almost a month to take my last script to the pharmacy and haven't picked it up yet! that was a week ago. and not i have another script from my dr.
i love not counting the days and being there when the pharmacy opens to fill the script and worrying they'll say its too early!